Boxed Collectors Edition only 1 Key?

Hy Folks

So the Keys are distributed and i allready got a question:

I backed for a Boxed Collectors Edition which includes

• Collector's Box Version of Pillars of Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux, with DVD and printed manual.
  • Cloth Map of the World.
  • Pillars of Eternity Cloth Patch.
  • Pillars of Eternity Mouse Pad.
  • Early Access Beta Key.
  • Pillars of Eternity T-Shirt.
  • Digital Novella by Chris Avellone.
  • Digital High-Res Game Map.
  • Digital High-Res Concept Art Pieces.
  • Wallpapers for Multiple Monitors.
  • Pillars of Eternity Themed Ringtones.
  • Digital Downloadable Soundtrack in MP3 and FLAC.
  • Digital Collector's Book.
  • Digital Downloadable Copy of Pillars of Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux.

So they said everybody who had backed for a physical copy, would get a steam key so they can play

BUT, the collectors edition includes a physical Game AND a downloadable Copy

??? Did i get something wrong or should there be two Keys (one for the physical, aso promised AND one form DRM freee download) ???

(downloadable would have been for a fried...)

Thanks for clarification

ps: just one more Day, can't wait anymore, you realy did a great Jobs Folks

I understand it as: a key is included in every physical tier.

On this tier, the key was already part of the deal, so nothing added. If there was a physical tier without digital download, a key has been added to the tier so that the backers would not be stuck waiting for the DVD to be delivered.

So no, no additional key for us, we were already given one in the first place. Our second key will be for the boxed version, and will come with the box itself (with no ties to GOG nor Steam).

You’ll have two keys in the end, when we receive our physical stuff.

PS: My answer is based on what I recall of what has been said officially on this board, I might have understood it wrong…

I feel a bit scammed because this is NOT what my kickstarter pledge said. It clearly said we get 2 copies.  ( I took the 65$ boxed copy pledge + 15$ delivery)

You get two copies, 1x Digital Copy (Steam or Gog) and 1x Disk Copy (DVD). 1+1=2 no?

"The end comes soon. We hear drums, drums in the deep. They are coming."

I can see why this would cause an issue for some -

Example: Redeemed steam key so they can play but planned to actually give that key to their brother, friend etc.  Now you have to instead install your physical version for them (with a delay) before you both could technically play at the same time (that you would have normally installed for yourself to play on release instead)

Yeah that person is me! I should have got a GOG key instead, I was under the impression I would get 2 digital keys too due to the shipping delay but I understand now..unless there will be another one to claim when the rewards are claimable, we shall see.

Edited by Azureblaze

I'm in this situation also with the $65 physical tier. The plan was (and is) for me to install from the discs and for my husband to download a digital version. I expressed my concern in the poll thread where they said that a delay in delivering the physical media wouldn't keep us from playing because all the physical tiers included a digital download. That's really not true for folks who didn't plan to keep both versions for themselves.

Edited by Lady Evenstar

I'm in this situation also with the $65 physical tier. The plan was (and is) for me to install from the discs and for my husband to download a digital version. I expressed my concern in the poll thread where they said that a delay in delivering the physical media wouldn't keep us from playing because all the physical tiers included a digital download. That's really not true for folks who didn't plan to keep both versions for themselves.

Is your husband wanting the game on Steam? If not, redeem from GOG and install it on both your and your husband's rig. GOG allows you to install on as many machines as you want if it's in your household.

Is your husband wanting the game on Steam? If not, redeem from GOG and install it on both your and your husband's rig. GOG allows you to install on as many machines as you want if it's in your household.

Thanks for the tip, Ink Blot. I guess I wanted to leave the choice of platform up to him, but we can discuss it when he gets home. We live in the US, so I'm hopeful it won't be too long before the box arrives.  :)

That's interesting, though, because we've been buying separate copies when we've both wanted to play a GOG game. Isn't that expected?

Edited by Lady Evenstar

Thanks for the tip, Ink Blot. I guess I wanted to leave the choice of platform up to him, but we can discuss it when he gets home. We live in the US, so I'm hopeful it won't be too long before the box arrives.  :)

If you're in the US, then you'll probably get your box pretty quickly.

That's interesting, though, because we've been buying separate copies when we've both wanted to play a GOG game. Isn't that expected?

I don't think anyone expects that unless you're both playing at the same time.  But yeah, my understanding is that GOG is fine with intra-family game sharing.

It's one of those things that's totally a personal decision. GOG, as noted, is fine with it. But strictly by the EULA of almost all games, even on GOG, you're supposed to buy one copy per person. As I said though, GOG staff have said they have no issue with families sharing a single copy within the same household. And I get the feeling they feel it's ridiculous (as do I) that you need to buy multiple copies of a game if you're playing in your own house on your own machines. Follow your conscience on this though.

I'm pretty much in the same boat with my fiancé :/ I already picked Steam and didn't realize there was a shipping delay at all. Now we're not sure what to do (or who is even getting the Steam copy). Hoping another key may be given out for those stuck waiting because I don't understand how it could be said that nobody would be kept from playing if the only code given out was the Digital Only extra code and not for the physical game coming. 

I mean, I can't see many people honestly pledging for a tier with more than one version of the game if they weren't planning to give one version to someone. 

Edit: @Uomoz - Unfortunately, it doesn't let you play together at the same time which kind of ruins the entire point. 

Edited by mizunosakura

Hy Folks

So the Keys are distributed and i allready got a question:

I backed for a Boxed Collectors Edition which includes

• Collector's Box Version of Pillars of Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux, with DVD and printed manual.
  • Cloth Map of the World.
  • Pillars of Eternity Cloth Patch.
  • Pillars of Eternity Mouse Pad.
  • Early Access Beta Key.
  • Pillars of Eternity T-Shirt.
  • Digital Novella by Chris Avellone.
  • Digital High-Res Game Map.
  • Digital High-Res Concept Art Pieces.
  • Wallpapers for Multiple Monitors.
  • Pillars of Eternity Themed Ringtones.
  • Digital Downloadable Soundtrack in MP3 and FLAC.
  • Digital Collector's Book.
  • Digital Downloadable Copy of Pillars of Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux.

So they said everybody who had backed for a physical copy, would get a steam key so they can play

BUT, the collectors edition includes a physical Game AND a downloadable Copy

??? Did i get something wrong or should there be two Keys (one for the physical, aso promised AND one form DRM freee download) ???

(downloadable would have been for a fried...)

Thanks for clarification

ps: just one more Day, can't wait anymore, you realy did a great Jobs Folks

I went with the signed Collectors Edition.  This game for me means a lot as I have been waiting for something like this for a long time, but I digress.  Correct me if I'm wrong, the download key for either GOG or Steam is a different key(serial number) from the Collectors Edition copy serial number?  Two different keys, right? 

Same boat as others; I expected two keys, with intention to give one of them  away to family.  Now I just have one Steam key.  Hm.  I guess I could buy another key via Steam or something, but that seems a touch excessive monetarily if I'm going to get yet another copy in a few days (why I don't have it now, or on release day, is another matter entirely I guess.)  This could have perhaps been better worrded - I only found out about this delay thing because there's just the one Steam key in my products.  :/

I feel a bit scammed because this is NOT what my kickstarter pledge said. It clearly said we get 2 copies.  ( I took the 65$ boxed copy pledge + 15$ delivery)

This is copied straight from the Kickstarter page:

The boxed copy will include a DVD version of the game and a printed manual. This is in addition to the digital version of the game (so 2 copies total!).

It's clearly telling you that you get a physical/boxed copy and a digital copy, which add up to 2 total copies.

For anyone "expecting" two copies, I'm baffled by this. I can understand thinking "Oh, maybe that means I get two copies?", then asking about that to find out for sure. *shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

I'm surprised by your ignorance and hostility. Your tone is not acceptable.

Regarding your assumptions. Just look at what you wrote:

For anyone "expecting" two copies, I'm baffled by this.

and compare it to what you quoted:

The boxed copy will include a DVD version of the game and a printed manual. This is in addition to the digital version of the game (so 2 copies total!).

I emphasised the relevant part.

And even aside from this wording, it can be understood as being pretty much standard that boxed copies of games, including the ones actually sold for this game in stores (!), include Steam keys nowadays, if the game is also generally available on Steam. A digital copy would, on the other hand, typically be understood as a "PURE DIGITAL" copy, bought online and retrieved purely via the same means. Whereas a boxed copy would typically contain a box, manual, dvd. In cases where the game is available on Steam, the copy would typically go along with a Steam key, often printed on the back of the manual. This is generally the case and we were given no indication from the description or what is written in the backer portal that we would not be given the opportunity to register the "2nd copy" on Steam or GoG. I hope you understand the issue now.

I actually came here to thank Obsidian for resolving this issue for me in a very satisfying way after I had contacted the support and explained them my issue. I am entirely happy now.

Edited by Kukident

• 1 year later...