Exact time of release on the 26th?

It looks like on Steam the game won't release until 1300hrs (1pm) on the 26th in the Eastern US time zone?

That's midnight in Tokyo?  Is that where your home business is that it releases at midnight in Tokyo but the rest of the world has to wait?

1300hrs is halfway through the 26th.  Might as well have said it released on the 27th and let everyone be surprised it came out a few hours earlier.

I originally took the night off to play at midnight, but I guess I'll be going to work.

::steps down from soap box::

*******update*******  Steam unlocks the game for all at 10am pacific time on the 26th.  Save your midnight release party for another game.   :p

Edited by TomTinari

It looks like on Steam the game won't release until 1300hrs (1pm) on the 26th in the Eastern US time zone?

That's midnight in Tokyo?  Is that where your home business is that it releases at midnight in Tokyo but the rest of the world has to wait?

1300hrs is halfway through the 26th.  Might as well have said it released on the 27th and let everyone be surprised it came out a few hours earlier.

I originally took the night off to play at midnight, but I guess I'll be going to work.

Obs is in California, Pacific Time Zone. Game releases at 9AM Pacific.

• Like 1

Wow.

Obs is in California, Pacific Time Zone. Game releases at 9AM Pacific.

9am.  :(  I miss the brick and mortar releases at midnight of the day the game is to be released where you get the game, go home install it, & play.

To work I go then.  Thanks...

Hey. Another guy in Tokyo? We should hang out (笑). I worked it out, 5 GMT would be about 2 o'clock in the morning on the 27th for us. So... yeah, we have to wait an extra day.

Hah, did the time zones the wrong way to get my initial post.   :blink:  

This makes me glad I did not take work off on Thursday. Living in the USA Eastern Time zone this game isn't releasing until 2pm in the afternoon. Weird. Another strike made by the "Left Coast." Oh well, at least work will help keep my mind off the game until I get home.

What I want to know is, why the frak do I have to wait for it to unlock?

Didn't I back this game? Didn't I help kickstart it?

Wait, I hear you say, if you wanted in early, there was the Backer Beta. 

To which I say, frak that noise. I wanted to play the finished game, not some sloppy seconds half-version. I didn't back your game to be its beta-tester.

So here I am, someone who gave royally to see this game made, reading about how a succession of random nobody gaming journalists (a job which ranks just above piano-player in a brothel, by-the-by) have been playing the final version of the game in the week before release and oooh it's so much fun.

Listen here, Obsidian, pull up a chair. We've known each other years. Over a decade, in fact. So here's something you need to hear. Your backers deserve better than this. They deserve the final game before the press, in point of fact.

But what about piracy? I hear you cry. We can't make money of this game unless we cooperate with our publisher to enforce a single release date. If we give backers the game early, it will just get pirated. Well, no. That's a terrible reason. For a start, the press are some of the worst leakers. Always have been, always will. Secondly, piracy? You must not think very much of your backers to think they would give you money to make a game and then immediately frak you over by putting a copy on the internet. But also, piracy? If you were really worried about that hitting first day sales, you wouldn't have made it available DRM-free.

So take this from one of your oldest fans. This is a lousy way to treat people who have backed your game. Because I was there on the ground floor, helping you out by paying over the odds for a product that only existed in our dreams, and here you have me waiting in line with all the other customers, the overwhelming majority of whom haven't backed the game, and all while some frakking journalist plays it for a week

Shame on you, Obsidian. Shame on you.

Edited by newc0253

dumber than a bag of hammers

What I want to know is, why the frak do I have to wait for it to unlock?

Didn't I back this game? Didn't I help kickstart it?

Wait, I hear you say, if you wanted in early, there was the Backer Beta. 

To which I say, frak that noise. I wanted to play the finished game, not some sloppy seconds half-version. I didn't back your game to be its beta-tester.

So here I am, someone who gave royally to see this game made, reading about how a succession of random nobody gaming journalists (a job which ranks just above piano-player in a brothel) have been playing <i>the final version</i> of the game in the week before release and <i>oooh it's so much fun</i> .

Listen here, Obsidian, pull up a chair. We've known each other years. Over a decade, in fact. So here's something you need to hear. Your backers deserve better than this. They deserve the final game before the press, in point of fact.

But what about piracy? I hear you cry. <i>We can't make money of this game unless we cooperate with our publisher to enforce a single release date. If we give backers the game early, it will just get pirated</i>. Well, no. That's a terrible reason. For a start, the press are some of the worst leakers. Always have been, always will. Secondly, piracy? You must not think very much of your backers to think they would give you money to make a game and then immediately **** you over by putting a copy on the internet. But also, piracy? If you were really worried about that hitting first day sales, you wouldn't have made it available DRM-free.

So take this from one of your oldest fans. This is a ****ty way to treat people <i>who have backed your game</i>. Because I was there on the ground floor, helping you out by paying over the odds for a product that only existed in our dreams, and here you have me waiting in line while some ****ing journalist plays it for a week.

Shame on you, Obsidian. Shame on you.

whine_adp.png

You know I don't mind reviewers getting early copies.  I mind the reviewers they chose.  RPS, Polygon, and Kotaku are basically all the same people reporting on the same things in the exact same ways.  They even have an email group to collude on articles.  They aren't actual journalists, and they have a history of reporting very crappy and unreliable information.  At best, if you give them a review copy, it looks like you are paying them for exposure.

Maybe they chose other reviewers and they are just waiting?  

On topic, I can see people's point about wanting a copy at the same time as the press because they backed the game.  However, this raises a lot of issues for Obsidian from a business and exposure perspective.  On top of that, they never promised that you would get it before the press.  So technically they didn't do anything wrong.  I think this can be resolved in the future by mentioning this in their next kickstarter.  I have a feeling most of you would have kickstarted it anyways if it was mentioned.  It was their first one, so they couldn't think of every disclaimer under the sun.  Give them some credit.  Review copies are incredibly standard, and it's just how the business works.  As long as they aren't blacklisting people, review copies are good for reviewers, good for obsidian, and good for future buyers.  We already own the game, so none of that matters to us, but that isn't the problem of the aforementioned.

Edited by Gauge