Official Keys Thread v 1.01

Thanks Mashiki! I've passed this along to the folks at Paradox. Hopefully that's something they can lock down quickly!

Be nice considering some of us paid a pound of flesh to see this get made via Kickstarter. How is that possible anyway?

In short, Russian keys are often sold for cheaper but are supposed to only be used in Russia. People can get around that using [thing] or [thing] but sometimes there's no lock and anyone can use the keys. That's why the gray market is risky (if you buy a key and it gets locked in your area there's nothing you can do to get it off your Steam account and you cannot rebuy the game to fix that or get a new key).

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

got my keys. a royal edition for steam and a hero on gog

now i was wondering. my ks tier included the expansion. will i get an expansion key per game key when available or only one expansion key and will have to choose which version of the game to update?

The expansion comes when it's done. The expansion is still in development. 

Thanks Mashiki! I've passed this along to the folks at Paradox. Hopefully that's something they can lock down quickly!

Be nice considering some of us paid a pound of flesh to see this get made via Kickstarter. How is that possible anyway?

In short, Russian keys are often sold for cheaper but are supposed to only be used in Russia. People can get around that using [thing] or [thing] but sometimes there's no lock and anyone can use the keys. That's why the gray market is risky (if you buy a key and it gets locked in your area there's nothing you can do to get it off your Steam account and you cannot rebuy the game to fix that or get a new key).

K...I don't buy grey market games so ive no idea. I just am delighted the game is finally out.

now i was wondering. my ks tier included the expansion. will i get an expansion key per game key when available or only one expansion key and will have to choose which version of the game to update?

im not saying i want the key now, im asking if the backers who have the expansion and multiple game keys, will get an expansion key for each game key or not when the time comes

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

im not saying i want the key now, im asking if the backers who have the expansion and multiple game keys, will get an expansion key for each game key or not when the time comes

I would assume you'll get the expansion only on one platform per key, just like the game itself.

I have a problem guys - I backed the 165$ tier, including 2 keys. I just redeemed my own Royal edition on steam for preloading, but the King edition key seems to be not working for my friend

what can be done here?

Email support.

I opened up a ticket with paradox support (nothing I found directly at obsidian) - lets see how fast this can be resolved

How do key resellers get their pillars of eternity key so ****ing cheap?

From Russian market. Tommorow price will be 10-8$ if they dont block this keys/gifts.  Devs: remove other language then russian from russian gifts/keys (evil) :ban:

Edited by Asmo2

Am I correct in thinking that the legit keys in Russia are cheaper than elsewhere, and what they are doing is reselling Russian keys to other places for profit?

Yes, + keys can be stolen and sold to resellers.

Edited by Asmo2

The backers got the game and the content at a discount and had a small degree of input on the development...  If you want to get review copies of the game - it's not like reviewing games is hard - get to it.   

Sorry just thought backers would be treated better ... After all if Chris Roberts can take time out of his day to put his backers first you'd think any KS developer would. I guess I've just been spoiled.

Calm yer t*ts sir. There are very good reasons for Obsidian to keeping our DRM-free golden goose of those pesky torrent sites before release/review date. And those reasons have nothing to do you or lack of courtesy. 

I have a question, is it too late for me to get an extra key for $25 through the backer portal? I have a friend who desperately wants to play as soon as it's out but is coming up a few bucks short on the $45 asking price on steam/gog. Just wanted to see if I could pick up a copy for him at a discount. I already redeemed and preloaded my own.

FYI for those that don't know, how the stolen and sold to resellers bit works.  What happens is someone makes a copy of the key manifest at a legit site, then sells it through a channel to the other site.  This means that two or more people are then given the same key, and one person gets screwed.  Usually keys are provided in .xls format, so I'm sure you can see how easy it would be for someone to copy it.  Especially if the person in question is manually input them into some other sites database.  Believe it or not, some sites actually do use people to enter keys manually still.  Interestingly enough though, there are a few sites that buy legally in bulk retail boxed copies and input the keys into their database.  I believe Green Man Gaming has done this in the past, and I know nuuvum(Brazilian e-store retailer) does as well.

And for a site to order say...3k-10k boxed copies they get a substantial bulk discount, so I'm sure people can see how some sites are able to offer a discount even on release day.

FYI for those that don't know, how the stolen and sold to resellers bit works.  What happens is someone makes a copy of the key manifest at a legit site, then sells it through a channel to the other site.  This means that two or more people are then given the same key, and one person gets screwed.  Usually keys are provided in .xls format, so I'm sure you can see how easy it would be for someone to copy it.  Especially if the person in question is manually input them into some other sites database.  Believe it or not, some sites actually do use people to enter keys manually still.  Interestingly enough though, there are a few sites that buy legally in bulk retail boxed copies and input the keys into their database.  I believe Green Man Gaming has done this in the past, and I know nuuvum(Brazilian e-store retailer) does as well.

And for a site to order say...3k-10k boxed copies they get a substantial bulk discount, so I'm sure people can see how some sites are able to offer a discount even on release day.

Had no idea, seems those of us that paid for CE etc really are ending up with egg on our faces. Let me guess the next news item is that the CE's themselves are flooding the market at 10 bucks a pop. WOW...I havnt the words.

I have a question, is it too late for me to get an extra key for $25 through the backer portal? I have a friend who desperately wants to play as soon as it's out but is coming up a few bucks short on the $45 asking price on steam/gog. Just wanted to see if I could pick up a copy for him at a discount. I already redeemed and preloaded my own.

check the backer portal. but i think since they started giving the keys, the add on function for backers has stopped

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

check the backer portal. but i think since they started giving the keys, the add on function for backers has stopped

Yes you can still buy extra copies on the backer portal

I have the impression from this thread that most people have keys available to be generated through the backer portal already. I don't, so I'm curious as to whether this is an anomaly worth making a support ticket out of, or if I just need to be a little more patient.