Official Keys Thread v 1.01

Now that they're here, I suddenly can't decide whether to redeem with GoG or Steam. I was going to go with Steam for convenience etc. but on the other hand I like separate patch versions and GoG tends to do that better.

...phooey, I'm indecisive this evening. :lol:

I was in the same boat, but ultimately went for GOG, their patching process is much slower, but like you said you can decide what version of the game to run and you never need a program or service to be up to install and play the game.

Just to be sure.  I just generated a Steam Code.  The Retail Pack will come with a box that has a different copy of the game, yes?  One that can be DRM free.

From my understanding, yes.  The backer copy is a DRM free copy of the game that is separate from the Steam or GoG key you will get from the backer portal.

Are all the digital rewards tied to the generated key or are they tied to the backer portal account?  I wouldn't want to give away all the goodies with the digital key.   :)

Digital rewards are separate from the keys.  You won't be giving away your goodies if you give your extra key copies (which are just base game) to friends or family or whoever.

The only goodies tied to a key are if you pledged for a tier that got tied to one of the other editions like Royal or Champion(?).  But even then, the rewards are still going to be downloadable in your backer portal regardless of what you do with any game cd key.

Edited by StromIV
  • Like 1

Seems like 'entitled' is new fancy overused insult world...

Businesses commonly provides better than standard services to their good customers. These customers are often not entitled to them, but they receive them anyway. They might stop being good customers or customers at all otherwise.

Is someone who pays higher than usual price, years in advance and with all associated risks a good customer? I would say yes, and every business should love customers like this and take a good care of them.

Now, expecting to have at least the same level of service as regular customer (be able to preload at the same time in this case) is very reasonable and is not surprising that people feel entitled to it.

The most important reward is, of course, the fact that the game like this was produced at all. It would not without backers. And this is the main reason I do not regret doing it.

But if you look at it from customer perspective, being a backer is dumb decision. You have all the risks associated with being a publisher, no share of profits and unlike the publisher, you really cannot protect your interests.

So, if Obsidian plans to do future kick starters, they should treat their backers well. That means at least treat them not worse than other customers, communicate well and apologize for blunders when they happen.

• Like 1

Just to be sure.  I just generated a Steam Code.  The Retail Pack will come with a box that has a different copy of the game, yes?  One that can be DRM free.

Nope, box copy = steam

Wrong.  Backer Copy = DRM free copy of the game.  Any retail copy sold - not backer copies - are Steam only.  Just to corret this.

Edit:  Unless I am getting confused by the conversation... It is 2 in the morning here.  If you buy a retail copy the game is locked to Steam only.  If you backed for a physical copy it is DRM free.  Hope I am not confusing anyone or myself.

Edited by StromIV

Nope, box copy = steam

Wrong.  Backer Copy = DRM free copy of the game.  Any retail copy sold - not backer copies - are Steam only.  Just to corret this.

Erm, I thought the CD's used Steam as a platform per se, but that there weren't any DRM attached to it so that even though it's listed in the Steam library, you don't need Steam to launch it. Or maybe I misunderstood?

^ It's more like backers and any other digital purchase buyers have a choice of choosing (or buying, if not a backer already) via GoG (no drm) or Steam (form of drm in this case). But retail "box" copies will be Steam. I'm guessing that = can install from disc but still have to use Steam to verify/run it, but not 100% sure on that.

edit - that's how Fallout NV worked, as I recall, if you bought the disc, which is why I bought it on Steam vs. disc, since I figured I had to have Steam regardless.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

However, backers *did* get the option of physical, DRM-free disks at certain tiers--those DRM-free physical disks will not exist in retail, where all retail physical copies are Steam.

At least, this is what I understood.

I might have gotten confused by the conversation.  From what I have read, unless I read it wrong, is that backers copies are completely DRM free and no tied to Steam or GoG or anything.  It is only physical copies that are being sold retail that are tied to Steam.  Sorry if I am wrong or getting confused, it is early in the morning and I should be asleep.

However, backers *did* get the option of physical, DRM-free disks at certain tiers--those DRM-free physical disks will not exist in retail, where all retail physical copies are Steam.

Thats how i understood it too, not that i will run into that problem, but how would one patch those Versions ? (im aware of how patching works, but not sure how its solved in this case)

Edited by Vardia

That's possible. It's been a long time I don't remember offhand what all the backer tiers were offering etc.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thats how i understood it too, not that i will run into that problem, but how would one patch those Versions ? (im aware of how patching works, but not sure how its solved in this case)

The assumption is Obs will have those patches available via the backer portal.

I would hope that they had a patch on the site for those backers that got the DRM free copy.  Hopefully.

Bit confused. Are digital orders in a different area or are they linked to the download? It's late at night, don't look at me like that.

Which digital orders?  Things like the almanac and stuff like that?  If so, that hasn't been released yet.  I believe someone mentioned about it being released either on the 25th, or when the game goes live on the 26th.  Right now the only digital thing released is the key claiming.

It has to be separate from the Digital version.  This is what it says for my Retail Pack:

• Box Version of Pillars of Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux, with DVD and printed manual.
  • Digital Downloadable Copy of Pillars of Eternity, DRM free for Windows, Mac, or Linux.

Two different versions... right?

Bit confused. Are digital orders in a different area or are they linked to the download? It's late at night, don't look at me like that.

Which digital orders?  Things like the almanac and stuff like that?  If so, that hasn't been released yet.  I believe someone mentioned about it being released either on the 25th, or when the game goes live on the 26th.  Right now the only digital thing released is the key claiming.

This really messed me up. I expected to have my digital cookbook downloaded by now. I even planned a big dinner party to celebrate, in which I had planned to feature some of the dishes from the cookbook.

Since I didn't have any recipes to work with, I just had to serve everyone dry toast! Any hopes I might have had to become a master chef are ruined. Thanks a LOT Obsidian! :verymad:

• Like 1

"Now to find a home for my other staff."
My Project Eternity Interview with Adam Brennecke

This really messed me up. I expected to have my digital cookbook downloaded by now. I even planned a big dinner party to celebrate, in which I had planned to feature some of the dishes from the cookbook.

Since I didn't have any recipes to work with, I just had to serve everyone dry toast! Any hopes I might have had to become a master chef are ruined. Thanks a LOT Obsidian! :verymad:

Dry toast is a hidden recipe. You were being a leet chef without even knowing it.

• Like 3

Seems like 'entitled' is new fancy overused insult world...

What would you call people saying they'll never support Obsidian again because their pre-release keys for a video game launching in two days was late?

• Like 2