Official Keys Thread v 1.01

It is very disconcerting that there hasn't been any "straight talk" from a developer on here. From what I've seen, they are usually pretty good about that. I know they are busy finalizing everything, but one of those tasks is the assurance that the backers receive keys in a timely manner so that those with slower download speeds will still be able to pre-load just as the non-backer buyers are. 

Something like "Hey guys, we know you are all anticipating the keys, but we ran into a tiny snag. It will be solved and you'll have your keys by very early Wednesday morning" or something similar. It would go a long way to relieve some of the tempers you read here. 

The Policy of Silence is a very dated practice, especially in a crowd-funding world. 

They are probably busy doing, you know,  actual work to ensure said desire is fulfilled...

Email from Obsidian:

We will be notifying backers very soon when they can start getting their keys through the Products Tab of their Account Profile. Once you receive that email you will be able to go to the Products Tab of your Account Profile (https://eternity.obsidian.net/account/products) and click on the Pillars of Eternity link. From there a dialog pop-up will come up asking you which platform you would like to have the key for (GoG or Steam). After you make your choice, you will be given your key and be good to go! If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you for your support and we look forward to you playing the game in just two days!

Is that an email your received?

I "slacker-backed" immediately following the kickstarter, so I was never sent any of those kickstarter emails.

I guess they might be doing the kickstarters first, then the "slacker-backers"?

Nope, that's most likely an answer to a support ticket.

I didn't get such an e-mail neither.

Yes, that's the clarification email I got to the key debacle question. Obsidian responded pretty quick.

Email from Obsidian:

We will be notifying backers very soon when they can start getting their keys through the Products Tab of their Account Profile. Once you receive that email you will be able to go to the Products Tab of your Account Profile (https://eternity.obsidian.net/account/products) and click on the Pillars of Eternity link. From there a dialog pop-up will come up asking you which platform you would like to have the key for (GoG or Steam). After you make your choice, you will be given your key and be good to go! If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask!

Thank you for your support and we look forward to you playing the game in just two days!

I "slacker-backed" immediately following the kickstarter, so I was never sent any of those kickstarter emails.

Yes, that's the clarification email I got to the key debacle question. Obsidian responded pretty quick.

They haven't made any official announcement yet at all, have they? Before or after you received your email?

That seems very odd.

Is it people asking for more, or is it people asking for what preorders on steam get already?

Seriously the mindless(and yes I mean your post) posts white knighting obsidian is ridiculous.  They haven't come out like a company that was kickstarted, they have come out like a company who was working for a publisher.

First of all, you don't have all the facts. Maybe there is some problem that they didn't foresee and they are doing all they can or maybe they are the boogie man and sitting on their throne laughing at us for backing the game, one seems more plausible than the other but I'll leave you to decide.

But on another point I for one have never really gotten on the bandwagon for using white knight as a derogatory term. How is standing up for someone that you feel has been wronged a bad thing? Seriously a white knight is a big guy in full plate, white of course, and preferably wielding an awesome sword. 

"He who fights trolls should see to it that he himself brings fire or acid" - Me

what worries me slightly is that in the last backer update from the 20th of feburay they said  this 

That's it for now. Talk to you folks again when we give instructions on how to redeem your game and rewards.

And I personally have gotten nothing since then and the game is out in two days.. So a bit of communication would be lovely at this point.

I apologize for spelling errors I unfortunately suffer from dyslexia. And don't speak English on a daily basic.

I am excited for when this thread turns into:

"I got my key!"

"Me too!"

"Awesome!"

I would have gone to sleep by now but I'm to invested in witnessing the moment when that happens.

"He who fights trolls should see to it that he himself brings fire or acid" - Me

what worries me slightly is that in the last backer update from the 20th of feburay they said  this 

That's it for now. Talk to you folks again when we give instructions on how to redeem your game and rewards.

And I personally have gotten nothing since then and the game is out in two days.. So a bit of communication would be lovely at this point.

Then you missed This Update?

Email from Obsidian:

They haven't made any official announcement yet at all, have they? Before or after you received your email?

That seems very odd.

I'm just glad that all I will have to do is go to my account profile to claim my KEY!

It is very disconcerting that there hasn't been any "straight talk" from a developer on here. From what I've seen, they are usually pretty good about that. I know they are busy finalizing everything, but one of those tasks is the assurance that the backers receive keys in a timely manner so that those with slower download speeds will still be able to pre-load just as the non-backer buyers are. 

Something like "Hey guys, we know you are all anticipating the keys, but we ran into a tiny snag. It will be solved and you'll have your keys by very early Wednesday morning" or something similar. It would go a long way to relieve some of the tempers you read here. 

The Policy of Silence is a very dated practice, especially in a crowd-funding world. 

They are probably busy doing, you know,  actual work to ensure said desire is fulfilled...

Or they went home hours ago (it is 830 locally).  The 'team' doesn't really need to do squat to send out a group email.  

Edited by Voss

Then you missed This Update?

Apparently I did thank you. Thou that looks like it might not have bin a backer update email they sent out or if it was then for some reason i did not get it?!

I apologize for spelling errors I unfortunately suffer from dyslexia. And don't speak English on a daily basic.

Email from Obsidian:

That seems very odd.

I'm just glad that all I will have to do is go to my account profile to claim my KEY!

Oh hell yeah :)

It's still very, very odd, however. I don't understand it at all, in fact. Shouldn't they have made a topic in "announcements" or even something as a header on the website? "We are working on sending out keys, but there have been complications. Keep you posted." or whatever the case may be.

It doesn't really change anything for me, as long as I get the game before friday - but it is still baffling, frankly; this complete lack of communication.

• Like 1

Is it people asking for more, or is it people asking for what preorders on steam get already?

Please show me the announcement where Obsidian promised that KS backers would get to pre-load their games before anyone else. Really, show me where they said that and I will immediately do a 180 and eat every word I said thus far.

Until that, it's all exactly what has been said: People complaining just because they didn't get some nebulous, meaningless treat they were never promised to begin with.

~And the Lord said unto John: Come forth, and receive eternal life! But alas, John came fifth and won a toaster instead.~

Apparently I did thank you. Thou that looks like it might not have bin a backer update email they sent out or if it was then for some reason i did not get it?!

Nah, I didn't get it either, nor did many others apparently. I don't know if it was a glitch or they just neglected to actually send it as an e-mail update. I was periodically checking that forum though just in case I missed something.

• Like 1

To be honest, pre-loading is a luxury, it's not to be expected for every title released.  Surely most of us will wake up with keys in the morning.  TO those worrying about their slow connection.  Perhaps you should have considered getting a physical copy.

Yes its frustrating, but some people seem to be taking this way overboard.

I disagree.  If I pre-order a game digitally I expect to be able to pre-load.  All else being equal, why pre-order?  In this particular case you have the backers who paid for this game years ago not being able to pre-load yet while someone who bought the game a minute ago on Steam, can.  I have a problem with that.  But mostly I just want to hear what is going on.  Like I said earlier, obviously there was a problem, I guarantee Obsidian did not set out to have joe gamer be able to preload from a Steam purchase before their backers.  But they should be bending over backwards communicating what the issue is and when they expect to have it resolved.  

• Like 2

Please show me the announcement where Obsidian promised that KS backers would get to pre-load their games before anyone else. Really, show me where they said that and I will immediately do a 180 and eat every word I said thus far.

Until that, it's all exactly what has been said: People complaining just because they didn't get some nebulous, meaningless treat they were never promised to begin with.

Um, I said that people who ordered on steam already get to download...backers do not...did they have to specifically say that you would get the same rights as people who preordered to make some people think it isn't wrong.

• Like 1

The backers got the game and the content at a discount and had a small degree of input on the development...  If you want to get review copies of the game - it's not like reviewing games is hard - get to it.   

Sorry just thought backers would be treated better ... After all if Chris Roberts can take time out of his day to put his backers first you'd think any KS developer would. I guess I've just been spoiled.

Quoted for truth.

^ Haha. Methinks the 75 million dollars tends to help with Chris Roberts' free time.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

while someone has already preloaded, the backers are stuck with an f5 siezure.

Edited by mrmonocle

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance