Official Keys Thread v 1.01

Keep in mind that this is the first kickstarter that Obsidz has done. I would imagine they'll gain much wisdom from this experience, maybe level once or twice, and then choose the skills and feats that will allow them to fight that much better next time. In the meantime, I think I'll start selling pitchforks and fiery brands. Starting with Pedro. What do ya say?

I'll take two Brands and one pitch please~

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Keep in mind that this is the first kickstarter that Obsidz has done. I would imagine they'll gain much wisdom from this experience, maybe level once or twice, and then choose the skills and feats that will allow them to fight that much better next time. In the meantime, I think I'll start selling pitchforks and fiery brands. Starting with Pedro. What do ya say?

I say they could have thought about release a while ... and i will take a fiery brand or a torch and wield it in game on the 27th :)

Well honestly, what the backers get first and foremost, is that the game was made at all - which should have been the dominating motivation behind backing in the first place. So since the game is now reality, we all have won already.

• Like 8

This whole ruckus reminds me of the time I sued Full Control because they failed to make Jagged Alliance: Flashback the absolutely perfect messiah game they TOTALLY PROMISED I'M TELLING YOU GUYS and instead made it kinda mediocre, despite me giving them my extra-special magical backer money.

Oh wait, no, actually I just shrugged and was like "Eh, they tried, better luck next time".

Yes, I realize this isn't about Eternity being a good/bad game. It IS, however, about some people's deluded expectations and misguided sense of superiority/entitlement.

EDIT:

Well honestly, what the backers get first and foremost, is that the game was made at all - which should have been the dominating motivation behind backing in the first place. So since the game is now reality, we all have won already.

^ This guy. This guy right here gets it. A good post.

Edited by Palantyre
  • Like 1

~And the Lord said unto John: Come forth, and receive eternal life! But alas, John came fifth and won a toaster instead.~

I think a lot of people are just flush with excitement and don't know what to do with all that energy when they're keyed up for keys that aren't here yet (but will be! I know they will be!). It bursts forth in Forum Rage!

Edited by Debber

I think they have a "wrong" mindset towards crowdfunding in general and I doubt that'll change for any upcoming project tbh. Of course you make mistakes along the line. But I don't see that Obsidian is actually learning from them yet, at least in terms of backer involvement and communication. I mean, the game will probably be great but I've expected nothing else from them. That's why we all supported them in the first place, or not? It's just that this kickstarter development wasn't much "fun" after the actual funding campaign was over. There was little to no community engagement, just business as usual and just delivering on promises. No "entertainment factor" if you want so. Everything just professional. Maybe that's appealing to some but not to me. I guess if I ever backed them again it would be for much less.

35167v4.jpg

Remember is not about a discount, is a risk, the game can be good or bad...

I am aware that that a bad game could have been the outcome. I was just outlining what backers got over non-backers since some people were acting like being a non-backer was 100% better than being one since they could pre-load before us.

You do also forget that we spent our money on a chance to get a game. Kickstarters do fail and you get nothing for your money. So there is more involved than getting the game cheaper, it is making the game more likely to be released, but still you put your money out there at a risk.

Maybe some look at this like a producer, you gave them the money beforehand and you would expect to get to see the results (or in this case play) before others who did not put their investment into the game at a risk.

When I backed Obsidian, I expected them to try to make a game without being held down by a publisher. That is what they have done. I did not expect to play the game earlier than non-backers because that is not something they promised.

Edited by Kimaka
  • Like 7

What Backers get:

Cheaper game and, if picked a higher tier, access to extras at a cheaper price

Exclusive in-game items

Being part of the development and having our input taken into consideration

Access to the beta

Buying the expansion at a cheaper price

What Non-Backers get:

Ability to pre-load a couple of hours earlier than backers and then unlocking the game at the same time

Would it be nice to have the key right now? Yes, but this is just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Remember is not about a discount, is a risk, the game can be good or bad...

Backing something isn't really about risk/reward.  It's about having faith in certain people or certain devs to produce the product you want.  When i back things I back the ones I know the devs will produce a game I like.  The only risk is whether the project is completed or not.  

So far I've not been disappointed in any project I've backed producing a finished project I enjoyed.

Yes, but backers are not pre-loading either yet. We have taken a complete backseat so far.

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

This whole ruckus reminds me of the time I sued Full Control because they failed to make Jagged Alliance: Flashback the absolutely perfect messiah game they TOTALLY PROMISED I'M TELLING YOU GUYS and instead made it kinda mediocre, despite me giving them my extra-special magical backer money.

Oh wait, no, actually I just shrugged and was like "Eh, they tried, better luck next time".

Yes, I realize this isn't about Eternity being a good/bad game. It IS, however, about some people's deluded expectations and misguided sense of superiority/entitlement.

Some people voice their disappointment. No matter if it's misguided or not, that's unimportant. At the same time they don't insult other backers. They just talk about their opinions on how the kickstarter campaign and certain issues connected with that are handled.

Other people just post constant insults and make fun of other people, belitteling them for being disappointed or having bad feelings.

What's better, hm? So much for the sense of superiority...

• Like 6
35167v4.jpg

I'm just happy to be getting an Obsidian game that I helped (ever so slightly) become possible.

I'm just happy the dudes that blew my mind with FO:NV get to make a game unobstructed.

I'm just happy. =)

Going to bed, only to wake up with the key available a day earlier.

Chill out folks. Leave the stress to real life.

Cheers.

• Like 1

The amount of entitlement in this thread is just breathtaking. We will get to play the game on time. If you're going to freak out about whether you have a one or a two day lead to INSTALL the game, you've lost your right to ever complain about anything again.

Edited by Arouet
  • Like 6

So, what is the latest?  Obviously there was a problem distributing the backer keys, when is this expected to be resolved?  This is an issue Obsidian should be communicating better on.

I agree, communication is the key!

"He who fights trolls should see to it that he himself brings fire or acid" - Me

The amount of entitlement in this thread is just breathtaking. We will get to play the game on time. If you're going to freak out about whether you have a one or two day lead to INSTALL the game, you've lost your right to ever complain about anything again.

Now to be fair. Installing the game a day or two in advance will allow some people to actually play the game on the 26th otherwise they would

have to wait and maybe not being able to play it until a day or two after release. Which would ruin their weekend plans I presume.

• Like 3

"He who fights trolls should see to it that he himself brings fire or acid" - Me

True story. I pre-ordered the Collectors edition of BG2 in 2000. I was all elite and hipster even back then. My smug arrogance and sense of supreme entitlement dictated that I snub my nose (publically and otherwise) at all the peasants who would end up simply going to Best Buy or Walmart, or Circuit City, or CompUSA to purchase a vanilla copy of the game on the day of release.But then the day of release came. And everyone DID go out and buy the game, then play it..... except me. I had to wait until my Collectors Edition arrived in the mail. It did... the next day. Ouch. But the moment it did come, I immediately went from "Pissed off" and "in a homicidal rage", to.... the happiest nerd in the world. And it didn't matter at all that I was a day late in getting the game.... a game I'd end up playing over and over again for the next 15 friggin years.

I love this post. Great stuff.

I'm not a backer. Not because I didn't want to, but because-somehow-I didn't hear about this game until last November. I have since pre-ordered the Champion Edition on Steam and ordered the Strat Guide and Lore book from Amazon.

I've been watching beta backer videos daily for months on end wishing I could experience the beta first hand. I've been checking Steam everyday since I pre-ordered to see if it was ready to pre-download . I got home tonight at 10:30 and smiled when the download started. But, like everyone else here, I can't play the game until it's released. I can understand why longtime backers would be frustrated that some "newbie" like myself came in two years later and already has the game on my machine. But guess what? We are all here for one reason-because we love games like this. I've spent the better part of a decade or so playing Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale games. I never thought we would ever see this type of game made again. So, we all need to step back and just appreciate what Obsidian is doing here. In les than 48 hrs we are all going to be playing a brand spanking new cRPG!!!

• Like 7

Some people voice their disappointment. No matter if it's misguided or not, that's unimportant. At the same time they don't insult other backers. They just talk about their opinions on how the kickstarter campaign and certain issues connected with that are handled.

Other people just post constant insults and make fun of other people, belitteling them for being disappointed or having bad feelings.

Voicing your disappointment is fine. Like, if someone just said "Aww, I really hoped I could've gotten the pre-loading key already or gotten to play the game early :( " I might even go "Yeah me too, but oh well it doesn't work that way, no biggie". Or you know, something like that.

But some people are acting like whiny little babies, and just stubbornly refusing to grasp the idea that maybe, just maybe it's a little silly to throw a tantrum because you weren't given extra treats you were never promised to begin with? Yeah, I am going to make fun of them.

And if this light-hearted mockery truly insults someone, I'm going to assume it's because truth hurts.

• Like 1

~And the Lord said unto John: Come forth, and receive eternal life! But alas, John came fifth and won a toaster instead.~

It is very disconcerting that there hasn't been any "straight talk" from a developer on here. From what I've seen, they are usually pretty good about that. I know they are busy finalizing everything, but one of those tasks is the assurance that the backers receive keys in a timely manner so that those with slower download speeds will still be able to pre-load just as the non-backer buyers are. 

Something like "Hey guys, we know you are all anticipating the keys, but we ran into a tiny snag. It will be solved and you'll have your keys by very early Wednesday morning" or something similar. It would go a long way to relieve some of the tempers you read here. 

The Policy of Silence is a very dated practice, especially in a crowd-funding world. 

To be honest, pre-loading is a luxury, it's not to be expected for every title released.  Surely most of us will wake up with keys in the morning.  TO those worrying about their slow connection.  Perhaps you should have considered getting a physical copy.

Yes its frustrating, but some people seem to be taking this way overboard.

Voicing your disappointment is fine. Like, if someone just said "Aww, I really hoped I could've gotten the pre-loading key already or gotten to play the game early :( " I might even go "Yeah me too, but oh well it doesn't work that way, no biggie". Or you know, something like that.

But some people are acting like whiny little babies, and just stubbornly refusing to grasp the idea that maybe, just maybe it's a little silly to throw a tantrum because you weren't given extra treats you were never promised to begin with? Yeah, I am going to make fun of them.

And if this light-hearted mockery truly insults someone, I'm going to assume it's because truth hurts.

Is it people asking for more, or is it people asking for what preorders on steam get already?

Seriously the mindless(and yes I mean your post) posts white knighting obsidian is ridiculous.  They haven't come out like a company that was kickstarted, they have come out like a company who was working for a publisher.

• Like 1