Official Keys Thread v 1.01

All this tomfoolery about "backers first" regarding a game that has a set universal release date is quite stupid. Yes, Obsidian is just as bad as EA because they didn't get the keys for a game with a set release date out on time a day early.

And again for you: you can't and shouldn't compare crowdfunded games and how to mange them to publisher financed games. Completely different playing ground. If you don't see that you're the one with the stupid opinion. 

35167v4.jpg

Well... That doesn't bode very well... If they have to send a mail through 70 000 backers+, it most likely is going to take a lllllllllllooooonnnnngggg time.

I know that there isn't a perfect solution, because 70 000+ connections at the same time will kill pretty much any server they can put at a low cost.But seriously, devs (not only obsidian) should think long and hard on that one. That's not my first high anticipated release and each time, it's an horrible cluster fest. Backers have to register in up to five different sites (forum, backerkit, survey,...) and have god knows how many forms to fill for years...

This thing is getting far too complicated not to have an effect on their will to back again instead of patiently wait for GOG or Steam to release their games and buy it in two clicks.

• Like 3

Well... That doesn't bode very well... If they have to send a mail through 70 000 backers+, it most likely is going to take a lllllllllllooooonnnnngggg time.

I know that there isn't a perfect solution, because 70 000+ connections at the same time will kill pretty much any server they can put at a low cost.But seriously, devs (not only obsidian) should think long and hard on that one. That's not my first high anticipated release and each time, it's an horrible cluster fest. Backers have to register in up to five different sites (forum, backerkit, survey,...) and have god knows how many forms to fill for years...

This thing is getting far too complicated not to have an effect on their will to back again instead of patiently wait for GOG or Steam to release their games and buy it in two clicks.

This. After several botched releases as a backer, I've learned my lesson. No more Kickstarter.

All this tomfoolery about "backers first" regarding a game that has a set universal release date is quite stupid. Yes, Obsidian is just as bad as EA because they didn't get the keys for a game with a set release date out on time a day early.

And again for you: you can't and shouldn't compare crowdfunded games and how to mange them to publisher financed games. Completely different playing ground. If you don't see that you're the one with the stupid opinion. 

The terms under which you crowdfunded it were clear and unequivocal from the start. Obsidian never promised you that you would get the game earlier than other customers, they never even hinted that you would get unspecified perks beyond those which you paid for, and they never said they would suspend marketing activities to appease your sense of justice.

You are a customer, not a patron of the arts or a stakeholder. If you misunderstood what your backing meant, that's not Obisidian's fault.

• Like 3

What Backers get:

Cheaper game and, if picked a higher tier, access to extras at a cheaper price

Exclusive in-game items

Being part of the development and having our input taken into consideration

Access to the beta

Buying the expansion at a cheaper price

What Non-Backers get:

Ability to pre-load a couple of hours earlier than backers and then unlocking the game at the same time

Would it be nice to have the key right now? Yes, but this is just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

• Like 12

Unfortunately I have to agree. I've been wondering how I would handle this from a database perspective as well as a time management and server load. I have to imagine that most of the technical staff have been pushed into either post-production development or a skeleton crew of pre-launch patch development. Unless Obsidian has a dedicated team of database administrators or data analysts to field all of these keys it'd be an after-hours burn for any developer at the 11th hour to aggregate all the sources and even happy path the website transition.

The game has been delayed a year. I don't think it's untoward for any backer to ask to have their copy unlocked now. This is just another of many reasons why I'm now done with crowdfunding.

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!

The terms under which you crowdfunded it were clear and unequivocal from the start. Obsidian never promised you that you would get the game earlier than other customers, they never even hinted that you would get unspecified perks beyond those which you paid for, and they never said they would suspend marketing activities to appease your sense of justice.

You are a customer, not a patron of the arts or a stakeholder. If you misunderstood what your backing meant, that's not Obisidian's fault.

You missed the point completely. And you actualy also misunderstood kickstarter. I'm actually not a customer but indeed a patron of the art. Read the very basics of crowdfunding if you want to know more about that...

35167v4.jpg

70,000 emails is not very many if they have any experience at all with emailing large groups of people or they outsource it to someone who does.

Maybe it would take 2-7 hours depending on their hardware/experience.

I believe the person you are replying to was implying that time is of the essence and those 7 hours, depending on hardware/experience, would be a burden on Obsidian considering how the community is behaving even now.

They did not say i would get my collecters edition weeks later also though.

Unfortunately I have to agree. I've been wondering how I would handle this from a database perspective as well as a time management and server load. I have to imagine that most of the technical staff have been pushed into either post-production development or a skeleton crew of pre-launch patch development. Unless Obsidian has a dedicated team of database administrators or data analysts to field all of these keys it'd be an after-hours burn for any developer at the 11th hour to aggregate all the sources and even happy path the website transition.

Where I work now sending out 70k emails at a time isn't uncommon, what happens is if it's a bulk mail going to customers we queue it up and do it in batches of 1-3k every 5-20 minutes depending on how much normal outbound load is(fewer sends during normal ops, more when everyone is home) they "when" of how they're sent is they're randomly selected out of the queue.  As for how each person gets their keys, most likely they'll be pulled directly out of an access database file and revoked out of the file when they're assigned to the person in question when the email is generated.  That's how I did it at my last job, which was at a company that made custom CAD/CAM software that could then be copied onto flash drives or the machines in question could be connected directly to the CNC.  For that job, sending out 30k keys for the release of new software wasn't uncommon.

70,000 emails is not very many if they have any experience at all with emailing large groups of people or they outsource it to someone who does.

Maybe it would take 2-7 hours depending on their hardware/experience.

And they've done it at least 91 times already in the last 2 years. I don't think the email process is the bottleneck here. Edited by Stun
  • Like 1

Meanwhile - Press get priority early access.

Screw the backers, who needs them anyways right? Now they can sell the game for profit since development funding was provided.

Cash before people guys, cash before people.

What's even more awesome for us backers is watching random buyers install the game before us.

Well I paid 60 just wondering what incomplete edition they are going to let me have?

Backers should at least get the full game.

I mean really why should the backers expect any good will for funding the project.

No warm and fuzzy feelings that is for sure.

What are you whining about? Nothing is left out of the game in any way.

I believe he/she is alluding to the basic/champion/royal tiers as if some of those contain gameplay elements.

*shrug*

Assummmption isss the SPIIIIICE of LIIIIIIIFE! 8D

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Where I work now sending out 70k emails at a time isn't uncommon, what happens is if it's a bulk mail going to customers we queue it up and do it in batches of 1-3k every 5-20 minutes depending on how much normal outbound load is(fewer sends during normal ops, more when everyone is home) they "when" of how they're sent is they're randomly selected out of the queue.  As for how each person gets their keys, most likely they'll be pulled directly out of an access database file and revoked out of the file when they're assigned to the person in question when the email is generated.  That's how I did it at my last job, which was at a company that made custom CAD/CAM software that could then be copied onto flash drives or the machines in question could be connected directly to the CNC.  For that job, sending out 30k keys for the release of new software wasn't uncommon.

I'm envious of your batches  ;(

Please don't advocate killing anyone in the thread, even in jest. No speculation about folks being murdered, advocating murder, or asking to be murdered. Reiterate, don't talk about killing folks, even if you're joking.

• Like 6

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

my keyboard f5 button is going to sue me for abusive behavior.

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I am avoiding watching twitch or any other streams of the game. I want to experience it fresh and new when I play it for the first time.

Oh, sure, I fiddled with the backer beta a bit just to see how things worked, but I never even did the first quest there because I didn't want to ruin all the lovely discovery and surprise.

I am so looking forward to this game!

• Like 1