PRE-LOAD is now available!

Origin is another portal with less games that could as well be in steam for less hassle.

I'll never understand how customers can actually demand a monopoly... It's like punching yourself in the face.

Yeah that is true even though steam does not really abuse its power so far. But yeah the convenience is the key to just wishing one portal.

As long as i dont have to deal with Uplay im OK with most methods of getting a game, hell i would even insert a blu-ray disc into my PC if needed.

And guess why that is, it's because they do not have the monopoly yet.

Origin is another portal with less games that could as well be in steam for less hassle.

I'll never understand how customers can actually demand a monopoly... It's like punching yourself in the face.

Yeah that is true even though steam does not really abuse its power so far. But yeah the convenience is the key to just wishing one portal.

As long as i dont have to deal with Uplay im OK with most methods of getting a game, hell i would even insert a blu-ray disc into my PC if needed.

And guess why that is, it's because they do not have the monopoly yet.

They already have it.

Are you really going to care at all a month from now whether you started playing last week or this week? 

The bugs that are apparently going to be posted everywhere and in great compilations though, that would be a thing.

As I said - Obsidian are now a developer I am cautious of - I have that right as a consumer and I have the right to warn/advise people of my reasons for being cautious - I'll still play the game I'm getting my $140 worth. But in the future I will always remember this moment when I think of Obsidian and I don't doubt others will too.

Of course you have a right as a consumer to do what you want. Where did anybody say anything about removing your rights? I just do not get where anybody has been wronged or why we were entitled to anything in a KS beyond making sure the game we wanted to play was made. I also do not see how they have done anything wrong, they said the game was going to be out on the 26th, it is. They said the keys would go out on Monday or Tuesday and they were (barely...). They have been engaged with us here on these forums for years. They had a spirited and involved backer beta. I do not see how they have not been respectful or non-engaged.

Now if you need more than that that it is always your right to do whatever. Billions of people did not contribute to this kickstarter.

Don't forget that you'll need to download the 3.5GB day one patch that comes tomorrow before you can start playing :devil:

Aww that's too bad  ;(

I wasn't aware of that, there goes my precious gaming hours Thursday  :banghead:

edit: maybe they'll be kind enough and release the patch a couple of hours before lauch  :thumbsup:

Edited by sarcinelli

Nobody would have prevented you from just waiting until release day and the day one patch in this case. So your argument is invalid.

"I" would have prevented myself from waiting until release day. I would have torn myself apart playing, skipping work, skipping social life, skipping basic hygiene obligations, and play the game like there was no tomorrow. Like I was a base animal, right out of hibernation with an empty stomach..

Now I can take a day off work, get the necessary permissions from my girlfriend, stockpile some coffee and play the game at least with a semblance of humanity. So thank you Obsidian, for considering my sanity.

Don't forget that you'll need to download the 3.5GB day one patch that comes tomorrow before you can start playing :devil:

Aww that's too bad  ;(

I wasn't aware of that, there goes my precious gaming hours Thursday  :banghead:

Don't be sad my friend! While waiting for download, you will be able to check the guidebook and get yourself immerse into the PoE lore :)

I pre-loaded like you asked Obsidian.

Now lemme play.

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

inXile absolutely mismanaged many things, including communication.

At a time when Double Fine used up all their funding before the game was even halfway done, Wasteland 2 was being touched up because, even though they finished the game, they had excess funds left.

I'm not saying inXile is even close to the worst or anything. Just that they did mismanage a couple of things in my opinion.
Reality trumps your opinion.
Nope. inXile mismanaged some stuff. That another company did worse doesn't absolve inXile's mismanagement.

Are you really going to care at all a month from now whether you started playing last week or this week?

The bugs that are apparently going to be posted everywhere and in great compilations though, that would be a thing.

As I said - Obsidian are now a developer I am cautious of - I have that right as a consumer and I have the right to warn/advise people of my reasons for being cautious - I'll still play the game I'm getting my $140 worth. But in the future I will always remember this moment when I think of Obsidian and I don't doubt others will too.

Nobody else will, not even with your irrational ranting to others. Nobody gives a damn.

• Like 3

Of course you have a right as a consumer to do what you want. Where did anybody say anything about removing your rights? I just do not get where anybody has been wronged or why we were entitled to anything in a KS beyond making sure the game we wanted to play was made. I also do not see how they have done anything wrong, they said the game was going to be out on the 26th, it is. They said the keys would go out on Monday or Tuesday and they were (barely...). They have been engaged with us here on these forums for years. They had a spirited and involved backer beta. I do not see how they have not been respectful or non-engaged.

Now if you need more than that that it is always your right to do whatever. Billions of people did not contribute to this kickstarter.

Okay then - explain to me the net loss for Obsidian giving Backers the same access as the media?

Okay then - explain to me the net loss for Obsidian giving Backers the same access as the media?

I lack the information to say. I suppose there might be logistical issues there being 77K+ of us and 2K or whatever of them. But frankly that is not my business.

But I am not interested in being treated the same as a member of the media. I am not a member of the media nor do I have any desire to be so.

The game could be leaked from the backers. You won't do it, I won't do it, but someone would. And the pirated version would be up on all torrent sites right before the game's release, seriously hurting day1 sales.

Media copies also carry this risk, but they don't number 75.000+ , and Paradox has experience and control in this subject. Oh and btw, it's not Obsidian taking the shots here, it's Paradox. They partnered up for a reason, Obsidian has little to no experience in distribution.

• Like 3

I lack the information to say. I suppose there might be logistical issues there being 77K+ of us and 2K or whatever of them. But frankly that is not my business.

But I am not interested in being treated the same as a member of the media. I am not a member of the media nor do I have any desire to be so.

So in other words - there is no net loss for all backers to have gotten their access at the same time as the media.

The game could be leaked from the backers. You won't do it, I won't do it, but someone would. And the pirated version would be up on all torrent sites right before the game's release, seriously hurting day1 sales.

Media copies also carry this risk, but they don't number 75.000+ , and Paradox has experience and control in this subject. Oh and btw, it's not Obsidian taking the shots here, it's Paradox. They partnered up for a reason, Obsidian has little to no experience in distribution.

Since Obsidian is already trusting backers with DRM free GOG copies I fail to see the importance of releasing it at the same time as the media or after. People know the GOG copy is DRM free those who will pirate will do so no matter what.

Edited by Cymelion

They already have it.

They don't. They certainly do dominate the market, but the fact that we can still do things like choose Steam OR gog.com proves this statement wrong. There is no choice in a monopoly. Not really.

A pirated version probably wouldn't hurt day 1 sales at all. Of course that is debatable but there are arguments for both sides and imho the net value of an early release for backers would still be positive.

35167v4.jpg

A pirated version probably wouldn't hurt day 1 sales at all. Of course that is debatable but there are arguments for both sides and imho the net value of an early release for backers would still be positive.

I am not necessarily saying the backers all playing this may not have been a good idea and generated some positive buzz a day or two before release. Just saying I am not terribly upset they did not. In my experience once a game has been out for a few days everybody generally only remembers the game and not so much how the release went, unless it was a particularly massive debacle.

I'd like to hear those arguments then. If something is available for free significantly prior to release, what's going to stop many people from d/l'ing it instead of getting a copy for themselves? The urge is going to be too great for many people (look at the forums, PoE is like cocaine!). And once they have a full retail copy, why would they then go on to splurge more dough on the steam-store or GOG? Clearly many people will resort to piracy no matter what, but that number is obviously going to be bigger if there is a DRM free copy around prior to release date. (edit: this is all coming from a known pirate... for arguments sake *wink*)

This is an empirical question of course, but I assume that you and that australian guy, would both consider the perceived threat of piracy as an exculpating circumstance here, right?

Edited by Prime-Mover