PRE-LOAD is now available!

Ugh, so sad to see so many man-children amongst backers.

My only hope is that once the game releases and the frothing of the mouth subsides, that some of you will feel a bit of shame about the way you acted.

The only reason to attack the person is when you can't attack their arguments.

Obsidian could have allowed all backers to have access to the media review copy - they chose not to - the media is more important than backers to them By their actions.

You don't seem capable of refuting that point and by their actions people are justified in reviewing Obsidian badly to their friends and family. It's part and parcel of being a consumer, its also a big part of capitalism - the consumer gets to judge a company on their actions as well as their product. That's what is happening here.

LordCrash, part of the problem is that if we received the game earlier, before the day 1 patch was ready (and it inevitably ended up on torrent sites shortly thereafter), that'd be the unpatched, buggier, and less polished game out there that everyone was drawing their conclusions from - it'd potentially be less well received than the patched version, and thus could lead to lower sales.

The review copy sent to media is already on torrent sites - so that's a false statement.

I think you are wrong about reviewers version on torrents, but I think it should not be discussed on forums here.

Other people are bringing it up - they may as well be factual in their claims - claiming it wasn't given to backers because there would be torrents is clearly false.

In fact one could say it would have been less likely people who paid in early would release their copies for torrenting as opposed to someone with 28 subscribers on youtube getting thrown a free key and told to only stream act 1 and no more than 15 hours.

Well I will just post following here about how I feel about this matter (because some of the posters feel like they are assuming every backer shares their opinion):

- I do not feel badly treated by Obsidian for not getting early access that was not promised in the kickstarter campaign.

- I do not feel that Obsidian owns me anything but the great game they promised. I hope it will be all that I dreamed of. I will know tomorrow already.

- I do not feel bad because press and streamers got copies earlier. That is business decision and it is in function of getting best possible sales.

• Like 5

Well I will just post following here about how I feel about this matter (because some of the posters feel like they are assuming every backer shares their opinion):

Who assumes that? Again a pointless and made up accusation...

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

- I do not feel badly treated by Obsidian for not getting early access that was not promised in the kickstarter campaign.

- I do not feel that Obsidian owns me anything but the great game they promised. I hope it will be all that I dreamed of. I will know tomorrow already.

- I do not feel bad because press and streamers got copies earlier. That is business decision and it is in function of getting best possible sales.

And here is the thing I don't mind you feeling like that and you're not wrong to have that opinion.

I don't think less of you or feel like calling you out - fans are not who I have my beef with here. I'm upset at Obsidian and their decisions and I'm voicing that in the hopes it makes their future events better. I personally wont be backing them or encouraging friends to if they do another KS unless I see some statements or questions answered about the priority of backers. I would have asked this in the beginning but hindsight is 20/20 and honestly back then we had very little to go on with KS experience.

Now we've seen how companies have done their KS which ones have done alright - which ones have burnt bridges. You think Double Fine is going to get another successful KS in the near future? Pretty challenging for them after that Space Station game and the trouble with Broken Age. Molyneux might as well give up gaming with the bridges he burnt. Obsidian hasn't murdered children or cooked kittens nor do I think that little of them - but they are someone I am now cautious of and same with other people.

Just logged on to get the nice surprise (key !).

Steam tells me: "Pillars of Eternity - Pre-load complete; unrel...".

However, I can't verify the local content to see if the game truly downloaded since I get the message "Content still encrypted".

I'm sort of a noob concerning pre-loading games, is everything fine with the situation I describe.

Thanks in advance :)

However, I can't verify the local content to see if the game truly downloaded since I get the message "Content still encrypted".

I'm sort of a noob concerning pre-loading games, is everything fine with the situation I describe.

Yes all is fine. Steam downloads the files, but they are encrypted till the time of the release. Once it is out there is just a small download and the game is ready, but then there should be a patch too, which will need to be downloaded as well (it might already be downloaded too, but cant say for sure)

Edited by Vardia

And here is the thing I don't mind you feeling like that and you're not wrong to have that opinion.

I don't think less of you or feel like calling you out - fans are not who I have my beef with here. I'm upset at Obsidian and their decisions and I'm voicing that in the hopes it makes their future events better. I personally wont be backing them or encouraging friends to if they do another KS unless I see some statements or questions answered about the priority of backers. I would have asked this in the beginning but hindsight is 20/20 and honestly back then we had very little to go on with KS experience.

Now we've seen how companies have done their KS which ones have done alright - which ones have burnt bridges. You think Double Fine is going to get another successful KS in the near future? Pretty challenging for them after that Space Station game and the trouble with Broken Age. Molyneux might as well give up gaming with the bridges he burnt. Obsidian hasn't murdered children or cooked kittens nor do I think that little of them - but they are someone I am now cautious of and same with other people.

I see what you are trying to say. But I think as you said it yourself, Obsidian didn't say anything about priorities of the backers in the way you are suggesting and I just think that it is not fair to voice this matter when they are clearly not responsible.

As I said in the previous post, maybe they can make next kickstarter with clear statement not only what backers are entitled to, but also what they are not entitled to.

Imho, you cannot blame them now for something they didn't write and you didn't ask at that time.

I am sorry if I offended anyone, I would really like that you could just sit and enjoy what little spare time you have before you get lost yourself in this game :)

Best,

aa

All is fine :) Game preloaded majority of the content and will install once the game is launched.

I guess I do not understand the beef. So far Obsidian has done everything they promised. I never got the idea that because I backed them they were required to make me some sort of priority, or at least above and beyond what they said they were going to do.

• Like 1

Yes all is fine. Steam downloads the files, but they are encrypted till the time of the release. Once it is out there is just a small download and the game is ready, but then there should be a patch too, which will need to be downloaded as well.

Thanks ! That was my guess as well. I was simply surprised to not even having access to basic info like the size of the game files directory.

Thanks to Aarionn as well :)

Edited by atn

+1 here.

Got my key, preloaded, now just waiting to start playing greatest CRPG of last decade. No pressure :)

I really have a hard time understanding the sense of entitlement some poster here display.

As a KS backer myself I don't feel I need to be treated special. As long as I'll be able to play the game on release day I'm perfectly happy.

My reward is the knowledge that I've actually contributed a tiny part to something I've been waiting for  more than a decade.

• Like 3

As I said in the previous post, maybe they can make next kickstarter with clear statement not only what backers are entitled to, but also what they are not entitled to.

That's the WORST they could do. It's not about entitlement. It's not about promises. It IS about behaviour and HOW you communicate with your fans and backers.

You know there are two basic psychological agendas you could push: promise a lot, but limit everything else, or promise much less, but give people something from time to time without having promised it before. Just as a sign of good will, as a sign of respect, as a sign of "hey, guys, we really love you". The second approach is imho much, much better. I don't want them to tell me that I can expect the game two weeks before everyone else right from the start. I want them to just tell me on the run that they decided that the backers are so awesome that they get the game earlier.

Psychology is a tricky thing, and so is communication. All I want is Obsidian being LESS technical and LESS professional (but cold) in how they communicate and interact with the community and backers. To be honest, I want them to be more "real indie" and not the publisher-experienced professional guys who only see their backers as a source of funding. And again, this is not about the game itself. Of course I want them to be professional while developing the game. But their community management really sucks imho. It lacks both heart and effort. And that's the actual problem here.

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

Obsidian could have allowed all backers to have access to the media review copy - they chose not to - the media is more important than backers to them By their actions.

Obsidian values their backers, so they didn't want them to play the game without the first day patch. The media however, was subjected to bugs.

Thank you Obsidian, for your considerate actions.

• Like 1

I guess I do not understand the beef. So far Obsidian has done everything they promised. I never got the idea that because I backed them they were required to make me some sort of priority, or at least above and beyond what they said they were going to do.

And I acknowledge that - again when other Kickstarters put their fans and backers at a higher priority (even Broken Age had early access) it strikes me as very poor form for someone as well respected as Obsidian to not show a little gratitude to their backers. Again giving access to the exact same copy the Media had would have cost them nothing in effort but would have rewarded them a lot in fans - even you I am sure would have been happy to have received it at the same time with a little thank you note. Granted you're not bothered about not getting that but you would have found it a net positive and so would all other fans.

I see what you are trying to say. But I think as you said it yourself, Obsidian didn't say anything about priorities of the backers in the way you are suggesting and I just think that it is not fair to voice this matter when they are clearly not responsible.

Imho, you cannot blame them now for something they didn't write and you didn't ask at that time.

I am sorry if I offended anyone, I would really like that you could just sit and enjoy what little spare time you have before you get lost yourself in this game :)

Best,

aa

Not offended - and you're right people will judge them more clearly next time. At least now there is precedence on how Obsidian operates their KS - so backers can consider that in the future.

Obsidian values their backers, so they didn't want them to play the game without the first day patch. The media however, was subjected to bugs.

Nobody would have prevented you from just waiting until release day and the day one patch in this case. So your argument is invalid.

35167v4.jpg

Not offended - and you're right people will judge them more clearly next time. At least now there is precedence on how Obsidian operates their KS - so backers can consider that in the future.

The only part of the operation of their KS I care about is the quality of the final product.

Well I would have appreciated being given that choice, Knowing there was a patch coming later I could have held off - installed it created a character and got a feel for the game. It's not like even with this Day 1 Patch all the bugs are gone - there are still bugs and we'll be seeing them posted everywhere and in compilation youtube videos about Glitches in gaming.

• Like 1

The only part of the operation of their KS I care about is the quality of the final product.

Where as I value their actions along with the product

I can excuse a bad product if the actions are respectful and engaging.

I can play and enjoy a good product but be turned off the developer if they're disrespectful and distant.

I'll damn near preach the game to everyone I know and buy it for people who can't afford it for a great product with engaging passionate respectful developers.

It says it all when I have bought 6 copies of Star Citizen for friends - but I am considering telling people to wait for PoE to be on sale and not to bother.

Are you really going to care at all a month from now whether you started playing last week or this week? 

The bugs that are apparently going to be posted everywhere and in great compilations though, that would be a thing.

Are you really going to care at all a month from now whether you started playing last week or this week? 

The bugs that are apparently going to be posted everywhere and in great compilations though, that would be a thing.

As I said - Obsidian are now a developer I am cautious of - I have that right as a consumer and I have the right to warn/advise people of my reasons for being cautious - I'll still play the game I'm getting my $140 worth. But in the future I will always remember this moment when I think of Obsidian and I don't doubt others will too.