PRE-LOAD is now available!

Origin is another portal with less games that could as well be in steam for less hassle.

I'll never understand how customers can actually demand a monopoly... It's like punching yourself in the face.

Yeah that is true even though steam does not really abuse its power so far. But yeah the convenience is the key to just wishing one portal.

As long as i dont have to deal with Uplay im OK with most methods of getting a game, hell i would even insert a blu-ray disc into my PC if needed.

• Like 1

Origin is another portal with less games that could as well be in steam for less hassle.

I'll never understand how customers can actually demand a monopoly... It's like punching yourself in the face.

I don't mind them being there I don't like them being mandatory - I have a GOG account why because it's not mandatory and they worked hard to put their customers first - EA and Ubisoft have yet to show that level of dedication.

• Like 1

However if I buy a game on Steam and I have to log into Uplay or Origin to play a single player game it's a no buy for me - I do not need or want either services so I wont have them forced on me - if they were optional I might have considered them. But for now I prefer only having to deal with 1 account username and password. With the frequency of Origin and Uplay being hacked I just don't want to bother having to change my passwords every couple of months because security to them is a minor issue.

Are there games that require both Steam and Origin? As far as I'm aware, when EA decided not to offer their new stuff from Steam, they required Origin (Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age:Inquisition), but I wasn't aware that there were games requiring both. Anyway, it's neither here nor there. I was just curious. Like I said, I find Origin an overall better experience than Steam (marginally, mind you, as no client is a great experience to me). Your concerns about security are noted though.

Are there games that require both Steam and Origin?

I don't think there's any that required both, no. It's just that if you bought some of them via Steam, because you like having all your games in one place or something, you still had to sign up/use Origin as well. At least, that's what I heard/understood.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I don't think there's any that required both, no. It's just that if you bought some of them via Steam, because you like having all your games in one place or something, you still had to sign up/use Origin as well. At least, that's what I heard/understood.

That makes no sense to me.

That makes no sense to me.

I had Far Cry 3 and had to log into both Steam and Uplay

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

However if I buy a game on Steam and I have to log into Uplay or Origin to play a single player game it's a no buy for me - I do not need or want either services so I wont have them forced on me - if they were optional I might have considered them. But for now I prefer only having to deal with 1 account username and password. With the frequency of Origin and Uplay being hacked I just don't want to bother having to change my passwords every couple of months because security to them is a minor issue.

Are there games that require both Steam and Origin? As far as I'm aware, when EA decided not to offer their new stuff from Steam, they required Origin (Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age:Inquisition), but I wasn't aware that there were games requiring both. Anyway, it's neither here nor there. I was just curious. Like I said, I find Origin an overall better experience than Steam (marginally, mind you, as no client is a great experience to me). Your concerns about security are noted though.

Not sure on EA games - but either way I've never missed them enough to get an Origin account.

Uplay however do - if you buy most Ubisoft games offered on Steam they require you to sign into Uplay or you can't play them - even if it is a single player.

@Cymelion

I provide a link to a topical interview regarding the gamer-developer divide and you take it as a personal attack? Just trying to promote a little empathy, for interested readers that is.

I just skimmed it.

It looks like an interesting read - I'm sure I'll invest more time into reading it, its on an open tab.

• Like 1

Uplay however do - if you buy most Ubisoft games offered on Steam they require you to sign into Uplay or you can't play them - even if it is a single player.

Oh, that I'm well aware of. It was just the Steam/Origin thing that I was wondering about. Yeah, Uplay. Ubi's on my s**t list, so I avoid that like the plague.

I'm preloading now. 35% finished already. Yay! :aiee:

EDIT: ...and done! Preload completed. It was only 18GB, so smaller than WL2. This feels good - sitting on the game of my dreams.

Store page says: "Available in 1 day and 11 hours."

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Oh, that I'm well aware of. It was just the Steam/Origin thing that I was wondering about. Yeah, Uplay. Ubi's on my s**t list, so I avoid that like the plague.

Oh, doh, brainfart. I was probably thinking UPlay, not Origin, when I posted earlier. My bad. :blush: No actual clue on Origin.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Currently preloading on Steam, but it's only showing 6GB total. Is that right?

Yeah...it gets decompressed later when full installation takes place.

Awesomeness !

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

I told Steam to start the preloading. We are going to be giving backers keys in the next few hours and if we didn't tell them to enable preloading we wouldn't have been able to enable it until tomorrow.

Can we preload the game on GOG too, pretty please?! Just redeemed my key, can't wait to play the game!

Weather you got your key 2 years ago or today, you still can't play the game until Thursday. Backers will get their keys and pre-load tomorrow. Quit bitching. 

Oh. And here I was thinking Steam users would be able to play the game already. No problem then (well, almost none. They can still go at it right away, while my game is still downloading from GOG :p)

Edited by Reever