PRE-LOAD is now available!

Anyone know how big the download size is? Will this game be comparable in size to Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter Nights?

People are saying the preload on Steam is 6 GB. No idea how big the GOG DL will be, but I don't think they compress as much as Steam.

Who would want to be a game developer aye?

I was reading this today and thought it sounded relevant to this thread

http://www.nodontdie.com/anonymous/

It's often not what you say but how you say it.

Fans are people and they want to be respected and valued.

Treat them like petulant children or imbeciles who know nothing and they're going to turn on you.

Explain things in an adult manner and don't talk down to them and its amazing what your fans will do for you.

Treat them like petulant children or imbeciles who know nothing and they're going to turn on you.

Then don't act like a petulant child.

• Like 1

They chose to put the media before backers and the backers on par with first time buyers which is wholly their right to do, but it does by virtue of action mean backers are not important or appreciated by them. We're just ATM's.

That's certainly one way to interpret it, I guess. And while I agree with the complaints that there could have been better communication by times, I certainly don't agree with your interpretation of Obsidian's actions. So I guess you'll be moving on and not bothering with Obsidian or their forums anymore, then?

Depends on the game I bought it may as well play it - the forums are a good place to provide feedback.

That said Obsidian are on my be cautious list.

EA and Ubisoft are on my don't buy list until they remove mandatory 3rd party programs (Uplay and Origin) If I buy it on Steam that should be the only step I should need for playing the game no secondary sign in needed.

Obsidian are great guys and ok Devs but they really need to step up to the plate and start showing fans they appreciate them more. Because they really aren't - yes their games are often outstanding but you only get free passes for so long before people stop caring about you.

Happened to Peter Molyneux really easily and American Mcgee and countless other devs - the truth is if people like me and the others expressing dismay at treatment didn't care we'd just slink away and stop buying their products. The fact we're here telling Obsidian they're doing it wrong (treatment of backers) shows they still matter to us, and if we matter to them they'll listen.

Have I demanded refunds - swore - posted Dank Memes?

No I've been civil even in the face of you and your mates not accepting people not completely loving and excusing the devs - they made a wrong call and their being called out on it. White Knight all you like if people post civilly and are expressing their frustration you should respect their opinions enough to give them leeway to state them.

If I was using names and talking down to you and your ilk then you would have a justification for your hostile treatment but you really don't you come across Stockholm syndrome more than anything.

No I've been civil even in the face of you and your mates not accepting people not completely loving and excusing the devs - they made a wrong call and their being called out on it. White Knight all you like if people post civilly and are expressing their frustration you should respect their opinions enough to give them leeway to state them.

If I was using names and talking down to you and your ilk then you would have a justification for your hostile treatment but you really don't you come across Stockholm syndrome more than anything.

No, you've ran around whining and complaining that Obsidian won't give you free things for no reason other than you feel entitled to it. You spread misinformation and tell people that Obsidian doesn't care about them--deliberately harming the sales of this game and future sequels just because you don't get treated, like, super-speshul. In the same manner as a petulant child whining about candy, you just keep getting louder and louder the more people refuse to listen to your tantrum, and like a petulant child you accuse anybody who disagrees with you of either not listening or of allying with the side you don't like.

And like a petulant child, when called out on this you just whine harder.

They chose to put the media before backers and the backers on par with first time buyers which is wholly their right to do, but it does by virtue of action mean backers are not important or appreciated by them. We're just ATM's.

That's certainly one way to interpret it, I guess. And while I agree with the complaints that there could have been better communication by times, I certainly don't agree with your interpretation of Obsidian's actions. So I guess you'll be moving on and not bothering with Obsidian or their forums anymore, then?

Depends on the game I bought it may as well play it - the forums are a good place to provide feedback.

EA and Ubisoft are on my don't buy list until they remove mandatory 3rd party programs (Uplay and Origin) If I buy it on Steam that should be the only step I should need for playing the game no secondary sign in needed.

Obsidian are great guys and ok Devs but they really need to step up to the plate and start showing fans they appreciate them more. Because they really aren't - yes their games are often outstanding but you only get free passes for so long before people stop caring about you.

Happened to Peter Molyneux really easily and American Mcgee and countless other devs - the truth is if people like me and the others expressing dismay at treatment didn't care we'd just slink away and stop buying their products. The fact we're here telling Obsidian they're doing it wrong (treatment of backers) shows they still matter to us, and if we matter to them they'll listen.

Dude, speak for yourself. I don't know you. But you are not coming across very well here and If you notice --none of the longtime regulars from this forum have complained. And don't think that the crowd here white knights or give Obsidian free passes. We are as tough or as merciless as anyone when it comes to criticizing Obsidian...when warranted. Of all the various developer forums I've been part of or have been posting in, Obsidian is by far the best when it comes to rigorous debate and back and forth developer feedback. In no way have I or many of the regulars have complained about feeling being snubbed by Obsidian.

• Like 3

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

My personal apologies that you feel this way. It is not our intention.

Many of the devs you see on the forums come on here to interact with the backers and fans on their off-time. Lately, many devs have been doing a lot of overtime to get the game out and haven't had a lot of time to come onto the forums.

I know the concern is that others have gotten their keys before the backers. I explained why that happened in another post in another thread. It wasn't because we don't love our backers, it had more to do with how complicated it is for us to distribute keys to people. There are a large number of combinations of rewards and tiers and it took us some time to create the backend of the Backer Portal and properly test it for our backers. When people buy items on Steam there is no back end work, they are just immediately granted a key.

Really, we just want an easy way for you folks to download your rewards. I hope that the additional wait is worth it for you guys.

• Like 13

Fair enough. Everyone's threshold for moving a dev to a 'be cautious'  or 'avoid' list is different (I know I have a few devs on my own list). For me, Obs hasn't hit that mark.

On a side note, if you're good with Steam, what's your objection to Origin? I actually use both, and from my perspective, I actually prefer Origin overall. I've had a smoother experience with it than I have with Steam, even though it still has a few rough edges (that store front really needs some fine tuning).

Many of the devs you see on the forums come on here to interact with the backers and fans on their off-time. Lately, many devs have been doing a lot of overtime to get the game out and haven't had a lot of time to come onto the forums.

I know the concern is that others have gotten their keys before the backers. I explained why that happened in another post in another thread. It wasn't because we don't love our backers, it had more to do with how complicated it is for us to distribute keys to people. There are a large number of combinations of rewards and tiers and it took us some time to create the backend of the Backer Portal and properly test it for our backers. When people buy items on Steam there is no back end work, they are just immediately granted a key.

Really, we just want an easy way for you folks to download your rewards. I hope that the additional wait is worth it for you guys.

I think everyone understands that and thanks for this post. I think it just happens when there are no posts about certain issues, which can happen.

Fair enough. Everyone's threshold for moving a dev to a 'be cautious'  or 'avoid' list is different (I know I have a few devs on my own list). For me, Obs hasn't hit that mark.

On a side note, if you're good with Steam, what's your objection to Origin? I actually use both, and from my perspective, I actually prefer Origin overall. I've had a smoother experience with it than I have with Steam, even though it still has a few rough edges (that store front really needs some fine tuning).

Origin is another portal with less games that could as well be in steam for less hassle.

• Like 1

Brandon, don't think that all your and the team's long and hard hours don't go unnoticed or unappreciated trying to get everything done by the deadline.

Thank you.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

No, you've ran around whining and complaining that Obsidian won't give you free things for no reason other than you feel entitled to it. You spread misinformation and tell people that Obsidian doesn't care about them--deliberately harming the sales of this game and future sequels just because you don't get treated, like, super-speshul. In the same manner as a petulant child whining about candy, you just keep getting louder and louder the more people refuse to listen to your tantrum, and like a petulant child you accuse anybody who disagrees with you of either not listening or of allying with the side you don't like.

And like a petulant child, when called out on this you just whine harder.

Actually they hurt their own sales.

It's not misinformation - its their friggan actions - people will judge them on their actions no one elses. I can bleat on all I like about how backers are less important than media - but when average Joe - checks and sees that media were given review copies before financial backers he comes his own conclusions.

Granted if I was buying PoE day one and I was demanding a backers rewards you'd have every right to strip me down - I'm not I am saying one aspect of the industry is getting undue favoritism for the wrong reasons. Backers getting the game at the same time as review copies would have hurt absolutely zero people and would have made 100% of all backers happy.

That is unarguable - this decision has not guaranteed any additional sales and has resulted in a percentage of unhappy backers about their treatment - Obsidian made the wrong call and anyone who has even taken a passing glance at the changes occurring in the gaming industry could have told them it was the wrong decision.

It's understandable you had issues - I'm not going to harp on about it you've clearly noticed my statements and thats all I could hope for.

As long as you guys take the lessons forward I will be more than happy to give you the benefit of the doubt and I'll let your work stand on its own. But as I said I personally will be more cautious of any future KS done by Obsidian based on this one. Even if that included Fallout which would have been my weakness game for everything pre-orders KS or anything, now I am a little more unsure.

Thank you for the response though it does go a long way towards helping.

Weather you got your key 2 years ago or today, you still can't play the game until Thursday. Backers will get their keys and pre-load tomorrow. Quit bitching. 

To be fair to him, he's not bitching about when we got the keys: he's saying we should have gotten the actual game at the same time as or before the media. Note that I don't agree with this point of view, but just thought it should be pointed out what he's actually complaining about.

• Like 1

Origin is another portal with less games that could as well be in steam for less hassle.

I'll never understand how customers can actually demand a monopoly... It's like punching yourself in the face.

Human beings are *terrible* at judging long-term consequences vs short-term rewards. Just, like...amazingly bad at it.

• Like 1

Sure I'll go off topic - If I buy a game on Steam I expect it to only require me be logged into Steam to play - if it is a Multiplayer game and needs server access I will tolerate making an account for that game - more often I won't buy it.

However if I buy a game on Steam and I have to log into Uplay or Origin to play a single player game it's a no buy for me - I do not need or want either services so I wont have them forced on me - if they were optional I might have considered them. But for now I prefer only having to deal with 1 account username and password. With the frequency of Origin and Uplay being hacked I just don't want to bother having to change my passwords every couple of months because security to them is a minor issue.

• Like 1