PRE-LOAD is now available!

I told Steam to start the preloading. We are going to be giving backers keys in the next few hours and if we didn't tell them to enable preloading we wouldn't have been able to enable it until tomorrow.

So it has been 2 1/2 hours since this post... Any information yet on when backers are getting their keys?

So it has now been 3 1/2 hours since this post...

I don't feel entitled although people accuse me and others of it on a constant level. I don't DEMAND anything like it was promised to me. Nevertheless I feel disappointed. It would have been just a nice gesture to get the backers the option to play the game a bit earlier as well - if they want to. But to be completely honest I'm disappointed how Obsidian acted during development for a longer time now. It's not just about this one here.

Although I don't agree, I can understand that. That being said, I think they did their best and did an awesome job with the whole development process and dialogue with the fans/backers.

Well i do not think they did their best with many things. I think they were just not considering things. If planned and prepared it would be possible to ship games to everyone on release day (+/- a day or so). It would be possible for backers to claim their keys weeks before release. But they are a small team and probably very busy. 

If it were not for Paradox who could have helped them with that which actually is their job as publisher. So no they did not do their best, but i can excuse that as what matters in the end is that they did the best with their game. Still we can hope they learn and do better next time.

You can do all the planning in the world. When implementation comes, you'll find out that both the planning and the implementation are not perfect.

Moreover, we do not have access to all underlying factors affecting the process of backers receiving their keys. Is it a problem with Steam ? A lack of planning on Obsidian's part ? Something else ? Who knows ? All we can do is speculate or simply be patient for a few hours/days.

I was just going to post this.

Unless there's an Early Access situation, which I am absolutely glad that Obsidian did not do, getting keys weeks ahead of time is unrealistic. Keys don't happen weeks ahead of time. I don't claim to know how Steam or GoG or whatever works in that regard but based on past history I highly doubt that's an option.

As soon as you can preorder a game keys do exist.

Are you able to view keys when you preorder something on Steam? I don't think you can until release. I'll have to remember to check next time.

There are lots of things you cannot actually view until release. Like if a preorder includes DLC, you cannot actually view that until the game unlocks. Which is annoying.

I'm honestly not sure if you get a key before the game starts to preload or unlocks. Do you?

They do have a system in place by that time to associate your account with the game. Pretty sure that steam can generate keys once they list a game on their client. Steam does that for a living after all.

I don't feel entitled although people accuse me and others of it on a constant level. I don't DEMAND anything like it was promised to me. Nevertheless I feel disappointed. It would have been just a nice gesture to get the backers the option to play the game a bit earlier as well - if they want to. But to be completely honest I'm disappointed how Obsidian acted during development for a longer time now. It's not just about this one here.

Although I don't agree, I can understand that. That being said, I think they did their best and did an awesome job with the whole development process and dialogue with the fans/backers.

Well i do not think they did their best with many things. I think they were just not considering things. If planned and prepared it would be possible to ship games to everyone on release day (+/- a day or so). It would be possible for backers to claim their keys weeks before release. But they are a small team and probably very busy. 

If it were not for Paradox who could have helped them with that which actually is their job as publisher. So no they did not do their best, but i can excuse that as what matters in the end is that they did the best with their game. Still we can hope they learn and do better next time.

You can do all the planning in the world. When implementation comes, you'll find out that both the planning and the implementation are not perfect.

Moreover, we do not have access to all underlying factors affecting the process of backers receiving their keys. Is it a problem with Steam ? A lack of planning on Obsidian's part ? Something else ? Who knows ? All we can do is speculate or simply be patient for a few hours/days.

Unless there's an Early Access situation, which I am absolutely glad that Obsidian did not do, getting keys weeks ahead of time is unrealistic. Keys don't happen weeks ahead of time. I don't claim to know how Steam or GoG or whatever works in that regard but based on past history I highly doubt that's an option.

Are you able to view keys when you preorder something on Steam? I don't think you can until release. I'll have to remember to check next time.

There are lots of things you cannot actually view until release. Like if a preorder includes DLC, you cannot actually view that until the game unlocks. Which is annoying.

I'm honestly not sure if you get a key before the game starts to preload or unlocks. Do you?

They do have a system in place by that time to associate your account with the game. Pretty sure that steam can generate keys once they list a game on their client. Steam does that for a living after all.

I've never been sure how the keys work behind the scenes at all, to be honest. I'm not even sure if Steam generates the keys or if they are given keys which they then assign to each purchase.

I mean, I don't claim to know how it works. Maybe they generate a key right away, maybe not. They don't need a key to associate a purchase with your account. In fact, I'm willing to bet they do NOT associate a key with your account until the game actually releases as you are able to get refunds on preorders, is my understanding.

That said, you just posted an assumption as fact. You clearly don't know either. I'm not trying to insult you, but this is just an example of what I find annoying on forums. You make an assumption, you take it as fact, and you base your criticisms on said assumption. tTat's not really a good thing to do.

I'm not sure if this has been asked and answered, but I backed for the $65 reward tier, which was a physical box copy, and a digital key. Will the digital key be shipped with the box copy, or will it be provided on this site.

The key will be made available at the backer site with your choice of GOG or Steam. All physical backers will receive a digital download key.

https://eternity.obsidian.net

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I mean, I don't claim to know how it works. Maybe they generate a key right away, maybe not. They don't need a key to associate a purchase with your account. In fact, I'm willing to bet they do NOT associate a key with your account until the game actually releases as you are able to get refunds on preorders, is my understanding.

That said, you just posted an assumption as fact. You clearly don't know either. I'm not trying to insult you, but this is just an example of what I find annoying on forums. You make an assumption, you take it as fact, and you base your criticisms on said assumption. tTat's not really a good thing to do.

Well i think my assumption is pretty likely, but ok say it is not they still could have contacted steam about that issue when they got their OK for releasing PoE on steam.

Also keys were given to the reviewers too, so there is a system in place already. 

However the point is we will get the game on time which is totally ok, just they could have done more.

So if they do a Kickstarter again i hope they learned from this a bit and do better, thats all we can ask for really.

What we know at this point is only that Obsidian has in-house key-generating software; we know this because they gave 1,000 keys to Paradox who then passed them out. That's it; that's all we know, like, for reals.

• Like 1

What we know at this point is only that Obsidian has in-house key-generating software; we know this because they gave 1,000 keys to Paradox who then passed them out. That's it; that's all we know, like, for reals.

BAdler just posted the keys will be going up soon. Everything seems to be set and ready to go.

• Like 1

Oh god, shouldn't the forums be age restricted? No 4 year olds allowed? I'm looking at all self entitled brats lurking who ARE acting like 4 year olds.

Edited by rheingold

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Heads-up. We are going to release the keys soon. We have all the keys in the Backer Portal and are doing some additional testing before putting it live.

Once the keys are live I will post an excerpt from an update we are releasing tomorrow that talks about how to redeem your rewards. I will make sure to pin the thread for you guys.

• Like 2

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

So I am confuse, did the game got release or not?

It was released to the media a week ago - you get to wait because .... well you mean less to Obsidian than the media does and Youtubers with 28 subs.

"NOW! I WANT IT NOW! NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW!"

Also, Paradox gave that guy a key, not Obsidian. You can at least bother to read the updates before spouting off bad information.

Edited by Katarack21