PRE-LOAD is now available!

Obsidian just never learned, because whats best for Obsidian is lots of passionate fans and other than the same repeating names in this thread I don't see evidence of lots of happy fans.

Jesus, have you even ever been to the RSI forums? (And I guarantee my citizen # is higher than yours...) :no:

Your complete lack of self-awareness is almost awe-inspiring....

Most likely - I didn't sign up to the website till closer to the end of the KS campaign.

I had the opportunity to have been a Golden Ticket holder but didn't think it would have meant much.

And yeah the RSI forums aren't always happy - but it's engaged which is a key difference.

But you know what I've said my piece those who disagree have that option - those that feel the same as I do aren't going to have their opinions changed by being called babies or told its a temper tantrum.

Its too late for Obsidian to fix their idiotic decision we'll all just wait for our keys - those on slow internet will wait longer.

I personally wont be bothering with Obsidian in future unless I see some bridge building and will be telling the people I know to stay away, whether or not that effects them (probably not) who can say. But honestly I respected these guys and was really rooting for them to succeed, and sure maybe they will but I'm disappointed in them for their actions I thought they would have been better.

• Like 2

Obsidian just never learned, because whats best for Obsidian is lots of passionate fans and other than the same repeating names in this thread I don't see evidence of lots of happy fans.

Jesus, have you even ever been to the RSI forums? (And I guarantee my citizen # is higher than yours...) :no:

Most likely - I didn't sign up to the website till closer to the end of the KS campaign.

I had the opportunity to have been a Golden Ticket holder but didn't think it would have meant much.

And yeah the RSI forums aren't always happy - but it's engaged which is a key difference.

But you know what I've said my piece those who disagree have that option - those that feel the same as I do aren't going to have their opinions changed by being called babies or told its a temper tantrum.

Its too late for Obsidian to fix their idiotic decision we'll all just wait for our keys - those on slow internet will wait longer.

I personally wont be bothering with Obsidian in future unless I see some bridge building and will be telling the people I know to stay away, whether or not that effects them (probably not) who can say. But honestly I respected these guys and was really rooting for them to succeed, and sure maybe they will but I'm disappointed in them for their actions I thought they would have been better.

Well since PoE looks like the game i was hoping for i will be glad to back them again. Maybe just to get a cheaper version though, since i will be buying their games anyways.

But lets be honest, their games are so great that i cannot really see me passing on a signed collectors edition.

What on earth are you talking about? They developed a game. It's set to release Thursday morning at 9 am PST. It's Tuesday at 11:42 PM EST now. The game release hasn't come and passed us by yet. There's nothing to complain about. At all yet. 

• Like 1

It's kind of befuddling to see so much backlash over the very common many-decade-old practice of giving out early review copies.

And that's wrong again. There is no backlash about that. There is a backlash about Obsidian not letting the backers play the game (earlier) as well.

The copy that reviewers/streamers got was not the finished product. You'd rather have what they got than the finished product?

Help me understand why?

Because I like having choices. The very foundation of freedom is choice.

You were never promised a choice. Why do you feel entitled to something that was not offered?

I don't feel entitled although people accuse me and others of it on a constant level. I don't DEMAND anything like it was promised to me. Nevertheless I feel disappointed. It would have been just a nice gesture to get the backers the option to play the game a bit earlier as well - if they want to. But to be completely honest I'm disappointed how Obsidian acted during development for a longer time now. It's not just about this one here.

35167v4.jpg

What on earth are you talking about? They developed a game. It's set to release Thursday morning at 9 am PST. It's Tuesday at 11:42 PM EST now. The game release hasn't come and passed us by yet. There's nothing to complain about. At all yet. 

Exactly. I wish they added a "slap on the back of the head" button for all the kids who ate too much sugar and have the patience of five year olds.

• Like 1

If Obsidian had shown 10% of CIG's attitude towards backers I would have increased my pledge here too and sung their praises everywhere as well instead of now telling people not to bother with the game - odd how that works isn't it?

Whoa whoa whoa... you're "now telling people not to bother with the game," over some speedbumps in the game's Kickstarter campaign, and not problems with the game itself?!

No no, not petty at all.

• Like 3

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

See, I can understand being disappointed. I'm not, but I can understand why you are. I can empathize with that.

But then you go overboard and say you will be "telling the people [you] know to stay away."

How can you expect to have a rational conversation with people here - fans of Obsidian, many of which contributed via Kickstarter not just to the product but to Obsidian itself - when you put stuff like that out there? It's confrontational. I find it kind of offensive, personally, as it's at odds with the reason so many people backed this project.

I mean, you can feel however you want and you can go tell your friends and acquaintances whatever you want, but you shouldn't so surprised when some of us are so dismissive, either.

I mean, you're going to try to garner a boycott against Obsidian because reviewers got copies before you did and because Obsidian didn't engage you and others in the way you personally expected, quality of the game be damned. That is unbelievably ridiculous.

• Like 5

I don't feel entitled although people accuse me and others of it on a constant level. I don't DEMAND anything like it was promised to me. Nevertheless I feel disappointed. It would have been just a nice gesture to get the backers the option to play the game a bit earlier as well - if they want to. But to be completely honest I'm disappointed how Obsidian acted during development for a longer time now. It's not just about this one here.

Although I don't agree, I can understand that. That being said, I think they did their best and did an awesome job with the whole development process and dialogue with the fans/backers.

Edited by atn
  • Like 1

Pre-load complete. 

boom_zpswcz7bem6.png

6GB! Awesome it's not going to take all day to download even on crappy Aussie internet.

I'm curious if he can actually play, if that is also screwed up...

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Exactly. I wish they added a "slap on the back of the head" button for all the kids who ate too much sugar and have the patience of five year olds.

It's one thing to talk about a TOPIC. And a whole different thing to talk about PERSONS. Stick to basic civilty instead of calling other peope names, ok?

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

inXile absolutely mismanaged many things, including communication.

At a time when Double Fine used up all their funding before the game was even halfway done, Wasteland 2 was being touched up because, even though they finished the game, they had excess funds left.

Wasteland 2 was being 'touched up' because it was a buggy, terrible mess that should never have been released.  And again for patch #2 (also a gigabyte+).  And #3.  And now it is looking at another massive revision.  It wasn't touched up because somehow they did a better job than DoubleFine.  They just screwed the pooch in different ways.

• Like 1

inXile absolutely mismanaged many things, including communication.

At a time when Double Fine used up all their funding before the game was even halfway done, Wasteland 2 was being touched up because, even though they finished the game, they had excess funds left.

Well...yes and no. 

I backed both inXile games and am proud to have done so. I did take issue with some of Brian Fargo's decisions. I get that he acknowledged that there was a lot riding on WL2. However I don't think he accurately showed "what kickstarter could do" by pouring Steam Greenlight funds and his own personal money (above and beyond the original 100k). In fact I think he may have unintentionally hurt future KS games, because they might not be able to pull the same strings and will fail to meet the artificially high bar that he set. 

That's my 2 cents anyway.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Thanks for being on top of getting the pre-load unlocked and working on getting keys out.

Also, wow this thread is adding pages faster than I can read em!

Edited by Yaz

Although I don't agree, I can understand that. That being said, I think they did their best and did an awesome job with the whole development process and dialogue with the fans/backers.

Well i do not think they did their best with many things. I think they were just not considering things. If planned and prepared it would be possible to ship games to everyone on release day (+/- a day or so). It would be possible for backers to claim their keys weeks before release. But they are a small team and probably very busy. 

If it were not for Paradox who could have helped them with that which actually is their job as publisher. So no they did not do their best, but i can excuse that as what matters in the end is that they did the best with their game. Still we can hope they learn and do better next time.

It's one thing to talk about a TOPIC. And a whole different thing to talk about PERSONS. Stick to basic civilty instead of calling other peope names, ok?

Let me rephrase. The lack of patience exhibited by some posters in this thread resembles that of over-sugared five year olds. I don't mean this as an insult, but as a factual observation having seen my share of kids with no patience. Underlying message: waiting a few days *before* the official release is not a big deal. My serious suggestion: if the waiting is making you rage, go do something else to get your mind off this and vent some steam. (here I mean "you" in the general sense, not LordCrash in particular).

• Like 1

Well i do not think they did their best with many things. I think they were just not considering things. If planned and prepared it would be possible to ship games to everyone on release day (+/- a day or so). It would be possible for backers to claim their keys weeks before release. But they are a small team and probably very busy. 

If it were not for Paradox who could have helped them with that which actually is their job as publisher. So no they did not do their best, but i can excuse that as what matters in the end is that they did the best with their game. Still we can hope they learn and do better next time.

You can do all the planning in the world. When implementation comes, you'll find out that both the planning and the implementation are not perfect.

Moreover, we do not have access to all underlying factors affecting the process of backers receiving their keys. Is it a problem with Steam ? A lack of planning on Obsidian's part ? Something else ? Who knows ? All we can do is speculate or simply be patient for a few hours/days.

You can do all the planning in the world. When implementation comes, you'll find out that both the planning and the implementation are not perfect.

Moreover, we do not have access to all underlying factors affecting the process of backers receiving their keys. Is it a problem with Steam ? A lack of planning on Obsidian's part ? Something else ? Who knows ? All we can do is speculate or simply be patient for a few hours/days.

I was just going to post this.

Unless there's an Early Access situation, which I am absolutely glad that Obsidian did not do, getting keys weeks ahead of time is unrealistic. Keys don't happen weeks ahead of time. I don't claim to know how Steam or GoG or whatever works in that regard but based on past history I highly doubt that's an option.

Unless there's an Early Access situation, which I am absolutely glad that Obsidian did not do, getting keys weeks ahead of time is unrealistic. Keys don't happen weeks ahead of time. I don't claim to know how Steam or GoG or whatever works in that regard but based on past history I highly doubt that's an option.

As soon as you can preorder a game keys do exist.

Ok, I get that. For what it's worth, I agree that getting it early would have been a really nice gesture. I would love to be playing the game right now (instead of another round of the BB). But I'd rather have the version they are releasing. I guarantee that any kind of anxiety we are feeling, they are feeling it at least 100x more and I'm not sure the comments you and other are making are A) productive or B) helping.

I mean, what do you imagine they are doing right now? Honestly? If you think they are sitting back, sipping lattes and catching up on their cat videos, then I don't think you are being fair.

As for the rest of it: how could they have managed your expectations differently? We were provided weekly updates, then bi-weekly updates, then monthly updates. Each time there was a change in frequency, they told us it was coming and explained why. When the release date was pushed, again, they told us it was coming and explained why. What more could they have done to be transparent? 

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Yep, you're right. Sadly, as this very thread shows, it's hard to please everyone's expectations, especially ones that nobody could have predicted before it happened.

Vardia, it is now common practice to 'finish' the game with a Day 1 patch. This is because when a game goes gold (certified for DVD production), it then takes a couple of weeks to distribute - that's two weeks up to the release day that they could continue to work on bugfixes and the like. So all that work they did right up to the release day goes into the Day 1 patch, 'completing' the full release version.

Really? so people have the unrealistic expectation that we as backers at minimum get treated as equally as steam buyers? really? I think your comment embody the arrogance that people are complaining about

• Like 1

As soon as you can preorder a game keys do exist.

Are you able to view keys when you preorder something on Steam? I don't think you can until release. I'll have to remember to check next time.

There are lots of things you cannot actually view until release. Like if a preorder includes DLC, you cannot actually view that until the game unlocks. Which is annoying.

I'm honestly not sure if you get a key before the game starts to preload or unlocks. Do you?