PRE-LOAD is now available!

Keep your knickers and/or pants on. It is a game. A video game.

You will get it this week, at least by March 26th. There is plenty to do in a day that doesn't require losing one's mind over a video game. Everyone is excited, pumped up to play.

This is not a life and death issue.

It's not like people can play the game already, who cares who gets to preload it first?

And yes, I backed it.

http://kotaku.com/were-really-digging-pillars-of-eternity-1693310820

The media is playing it - before you.

Well, that's hardly a surprise.

The lack of proper communication on Obsidian's behalf though, that is actually a suprise. It seems that they have somehow lost contact to their most loyal fans and backers by quite a margin...

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 1
35167v4.jpg

You will get it this week, at least by March 26th. There is plenty to do in a day that doesn't require losing one's mind over a video game. Everyone is excited, pumped up to play.

Yeah, this will all be forgotten once the keys go up today.

• Like 1

I hope backers have to wait until the 27th to get their keys.

F!#%$ you . Have a nice day. :p

• Like 1

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

I told Steam to start the preloading. We are going to be giving backers keys in the next few hours and if we didn't tell them to enable preloading we wouldn't have been able to enable it until tomorrow.

So why were the Media given access before your backers?

I mean the people who paid for the game back when it was just a concept on paper some by quite a large margin - could you explain why the media were more important than the backers?

Oh god, please shut up....

• Like 5

No it's a respect issue.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/23/pillars-of-eternity-the-first-half-hour/

I have spent most of the last week doing little else but play Obsidian’s Pillars Of Eternity [official site]. But I cannot yet tell you wot I think, as such brainthoughtss are under embargo. I can, however, stream or “let’s play” the first fifteen hours of the game. But I’m not going to do that, because it would be the most awful shame for you to have such things spoiled.

http://www.pcgamer.com/were-livestreaming-pillars-of-eternity-from-3-5-pm-pdt-come-watch/

Pillars of Eternity comes out later this week on the 26th, and our full review will be ready then, but we have the opportunity to livestream it right now. Tom hasn't played the game before and won't be our reviewer, so these will be his raw first impressions of it. Watch the stream through the embed above or go to our Twitch page and join in the chat. One note: Pillars is a story driven game, and this stream will contain spoilers for the first couple hours.

And a whole bunch more

https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=pillars+of+eternity&safe=off&tbm=nws

There was even a documentary released on media sites - I wasn't aware of.

http://www.incgamers.com/2015/03/pillars-of-eternity-saved-the-company-says-obsidian-documentary

If you’re interested in some behind the scenes details about Obsidian prior to, during, and after their Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter in 2012, the ‘Road to Eternity’ documentary has plenty. Part one appeared last week, and part two is now available to watch.

I’ve included both below, in case you fancy watching from the very start.

Effectively, Obsidian were not in a great financial state in 2012. They’d had a ‘next gen’ project cancelled, were forced into laying off staff, and (in the words of Obsidian’s Adam Brennecke in Part Two) were “treading water.”

This second part is generally more cheerful though, because it has a lot of the main Pillars of Eternity writers and designers expressing their delight at watching the Kickstarter money rolling in. According to Brennecke, the feeling was very much that this had “saved the company.”

No it's a respect issue.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/23/pillars-of-eternity-the-first-half-hour/

I have spent most of the last week doing little else but play Obsidian’s Pillars Of Eternity [official site]. But I cannot yet tell you wot I think, as such brainthoughtss are under embargo. I can, however, stream or “let’s play” the first fifteen hours of the game. But I’m not going to do that, because it would be the most awful shame for you to have such things spoiled.

http://www.pcgamer.com/were-livestreaming-pillars-of-eternity-from-3-5-pm-pdt-come-watch/

Pillars of Eternity comes out later this week on the 26th, and our full review will be ready then, but we have the opportunity to livestream it right now. Tom hasn't played the game before and won't be our reviewer, so these will be his raw first impressions of it. Watch the stream through the embed above or go to our Twitch page and join in the chat. One note: Pillars is a story driven game, and this stream will contain spoilers for the first couple hours.

And a whole bunch more

http://www.incgamers.com/2015/03/pillars-of-eternity-saved-the-company-says-obsidian-documentary

If you’re interested in some behind the scenes details about Obsidian prior to, during, and after their Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter in 2012, the ‘Road to Eternity’ documentary has plenty. Part one appeared last week, and part two is now available to watch.

Effectively, Obsidian were not in a great financial state in 2012. They’d had a ‘next gen’ project cancelled, were forced into laying off staff, and (in the words of Obsidian’s Adam Brennecke in Part Two) were “treading water.”

This second part is generally more cheerful though, because it has a lot of the main Pillars of Eternity writers and designers expressing their delight at watching the Kickstarter money rolling in. According to Brennecke, the feeling was very much that this had “saved the company.”

They released it to the media first because that's how the industry works. If they didn't there'd be no day 1 reviews and everywhere you'd see stuff like "no review means it's a another buggy obsidian mess." So if you want obsidian to succeed and for more games to be made in the genre you need slow your ****ing roll.

• Like 11

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

So much for saving the company right? I feel like they just **** on us. Plus, I've seen chapter two, one start. Thought people were not supposed to live twitch past chapter one or something ?

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

No it's a respect issue.

And a whole bunch more

The press always get the games first, that's how the gaming industry works,it's their job to play the game and then review it.

• Like 2

So much for saving the company right? I feel like they just **** on us. Plus, I've seen chapter two, one start. Thought people were not supposed to live twitch past chapter one or something ?

Then they're in breach of the NDA. It's not like the review copies are restricted to Act I. Notify Obsidian if you want to.

• Like 2

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Then they're in breach of the NDA. It's not like the review copies are restricted to Act I. Notify Obsidian if you want to.

Yes, if you let us know the streamer we can contact him or revoke his key if necessary.

• Like 3

The strategy guide has shipped from Amazon, but no game or key yet. With my luck it'll probably be a 1 month extra wait, just like it was with Bloodborne - I won't be getting that until April 27th because it was delayed.

• Like 1

Yes, if you let us know the streamer we can contact him or revoke his key if necessary.

Inb4 he doesn't do that because big surprise: he's just some child that wants something to complain about and didn't actually see Chapter 2.

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

@Cymelion I agree in principle but only by how far one distinguishes the difference between a consumer and a backer. Please provide evidence where they promised exclusive right to the game before official launch. When the Kickstarter began, the informal (and customary) belief was that you purchased/invested into the game early and depending on your pledge, the benefits you were guaranteed to receive. Nowhere was it stated that you were to get your keys earlier. You are NOT entitled to said keys earlier, as it was NOT inferred NOR stated in any press release that backers would get keys earlier.

I will concede, as mentioned earlier, there should be discussion on what backers can INFORMALLY expect from a studio/project they have backed. That is one where Obsidian will have to soul search on and in my opinion, should have spent a little time. Hindsight is 20/20 and Obsidian will mull on this, whether they set up another Kickstarter or not.

The press always get the games first, that's how the gaming industry works,it's their job to play the game and then review it.

They released it to the media first because that's how the industry works. If they didn't there'd be no day 1 reviews and everywhere you'd see stuff like "no review means it's a another buggy obsidian mess." So if you want obsidian to succeed and for more games to be made in the genre you need slow your ****ing roll.

Star Citizen - seems to be making money hand over fist - Largest Crowd Funded game ever.

75 Million Dollars to date - Chris Roberts does this by putting the fans first and he gets way more respect from the media - because they report everything he does even though they don't get review copies.

• Like 1

Maybe everybody who makes games should do exactly what Chris Roberts does, then. Never mind that Obsidian remains a 100+ person company handling multiple publisher projects, and Obsidian's funding didn't raise 75 million...

Now, since this thread is about preloading, let's keep it to that, you can talk about youtube streaming in the correct thread. Worth requoting Brandon:

I told Steam to start the preloading. We are going to be giving backers keys in the next few hours and if we didn't tell them to enable preloading we wouldn't have been able to enable it until tomorrow.
  • Like 2

Star Citizen - seems to be making money hand over fist - Largest Crowd Funded game ever.

75 Million Dollars to date - Chris Roberts does this by putting the fans first and he gets way more respect from the media - because they report everything he does even though they don't get review copies.

Still not released yet. It could crash and burn. There's also been press events where they've seen builds/video before backers. Seriously you need to settle the **** down.

• Like 3

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer