Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Stats have changed - according to the Steam PoE manual

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts

This was essentially unavoidable given how the printing industry works and how game development works  (games are tweaked to the last minute, and printed material needs to be finalized into a printing copy roughly 6-8 weeks before they are shipped). 

That is a false statement. I have plenty of manuals that still are valid for my games.

Usually the game devs know what they are doing some time before the game release and print of the manuals. I really doubt that many other developers have no idea how their system should work day before the release.

Printed manuals, for games published in the last couple of years, where development continued up until the last days?

If so, that's some lazy-ass developers right there.

tinderbox

tinderbox

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I would think that they're going to have to republish (in PDF form, I mean ... I wouldn't expect a full reprint) the manual at some point when the underlying attribute system finally settles into a final form.

I work in the advertising industry and the publishing lead times on big print jobs can be stretch from weeks to months, encompassing writing, design, proofing and printing. And with all the revisions that have been occuring throughout the BB, manuals must have been a nightmare to keep consistent. I don't envy them that task, and I'm not at all surprised that it's not entirely correct right now.

The BG manuals had a number of errors, particularly in the spell list iirc.

Edited by tinderbox, 24 March 2015 - 11:33 PM.

Tartantyco

Tartantyco

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Manuals have always had these kinds of errors. Every IE game came with an errata text file(And pretty much every game ever), the BG1 manual described game mechanics that didn't exist in the game, etc. It's a little more excessive in this case, as changes have been substantial and ongoing, but 

Regardless, it was unavoidable that the physical manuals would become obsolete. Just the balancing patches alone would make the manual incorrect on day 1, regardless of whether it was 100% correct for the release version. Same thing applies to the IE games, as well. This is just one of the many reasons why manuals aren't made anymore.

The digital manual will probably see updates, though.

Edited by Tartantyco, 24 March 2015 - 11:33 PM.

Aramintai

Aramintai

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1424 posts
  • Steam:Aramintai
  • PSN Portable ID:Aramintai
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Perception now affects Interrupt, Deflection, and Reflex.

Interrupt bonus is back, eh? I hope it's not as uber as it was in the beta.

tinderbox

tinderbox

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Manuals have always had these kinds of errors. Every IE game came with an errata text file(And pretty much every game ever), the BG1 manual described game mechanics that didn't exist in the game, etc. It's a little more excessive in this case, as changes have been substantial and ongoing, but 

Regardless, it was unavoidable that the physical manuals would become obsolete. Just the balancing patches alone would make the manual incorrect on day 1, regardless of whether it was 100% correct for the release version. Same thing applies to the IE games, as well. This is just one of the many reasons why manuals aren't made anymore.

The digital manual will probably see updates, though.

I am pretty easily pleased -- I just want a cool, fun game. Still, I would be disappointed if they didn't update the PDF manual to match the final product.

I gained a lot of game knowledge from reading those BG manuals back in the day, and I believe keeping the digital manuals correct as possible will be really useful to understanding the ins and outs of character building in the POE system. Especially for folks who haven't been hacking at the BB for five or six months.

EDIT to emphasise I'm talking about digital versions.

Edited by tinderbox, 24 March 2015 - 11:47 PM.

Bazy

Bazy

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 561 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

It's obvious that the manual is wrong for a number of reasons:

1. Refers to "Damage Threshold" which has been renamed/removed from the game

2. In one section discussing hows Perception and Resolve increase deflection... but in a later section completely contradicts this by stating that no attribute increase deflection. 

3. http://eternity.obsi...t/manual/errata

Edited by Bazy, 24 March 2015 - 11:58 PM.

dukefx

dukefx

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 341 posts

Anyone here knows what the wood elves bonus actually is?

Distant Advantage - Against any enemy that is more than 4m away,

you gain a bonus to Accuracy, Deflection, and Reflexes

If they haven't changed it then it's +5 on those

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7729 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

it is not uber at all... wasn't really functional uber in the beta either.  sure, in the beta you could see frequent interrupt notifications, but it didn't genuine impact gameplay that significant.  we would set the bb rogue to attacking a skaen cultist and we still couldn't stifle casting, particularly quick heals. 

interrupt and concentration is wonky as o' 480.  the math got simple, but am thinking that too many interrupt related talents and abilities were not changed to fit the new scheme.  there is a chanter chant (that sounds awful... chanter chant? ack.) that is 'sposed to inhibit concentration, but it don't seem to be working correct.  am not sure what the improved interrupt talent actually modifies either as it don't improve your interrupt score.  +15% interrupt chance improvement means what exact?  15% o' failed interrupts become sucessful?  doesn't seem that way.  interrupt were changed so that  you got ~20%-25% (unmodified) chance o' interrupting a foe if your perception attribute is same as your 'foe's resolve.  that were josh's intent for interrupt and it seems to be working correct. unfortunately, too many interrupt related features is still linked to the old scheme that it strikes us as a bit messy at the moment.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir, 25 March 2015 - 10:11 AM.

Luckmann

Luckmann

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3497 posts

it is not uber at all... wasn't really functional uber in the beta either.  sure, in the beta you could see frequent interrupt notifications, but it didn't genuine impact gameplay that significant.  we would set the bb rogue to attacking a skaen cultist and we still couldn't stifle casting, particularly quick heals. 

interrupt and concentration is wonky as o' 480.  the math got simple, but am thinking that too many interrupt related talents and abilities were not changed to fit the new scheme.  there is a chanter chant (that sounds awful... chanter chant? ack.) that is 'sposed to inhibit concentration, but it don't seem to be working correct.  am not sure what the improved interrupt talent actually modifies either as it don't improve your interrupt score.  +15% interrupt chance improvement means what exact?  15% o' failed interrupts become sucessful?  doesn't seem that way.  interrupt were changed so that  you got ~20%-25% (unmodified) chance o' interrupting a foe if your perception attribute is same as your 'foe's resolve.  that were josh's intent for interrupt and it seems to be working correct. unfortunately, too many interrupt related features is still linked to the old scheme that it strikes us as a bit messy at the moment.

HA! Good Fun!

He is probably referring to v435, where Interrupt was broken, and triggered wildly, allowing you to easily stunlock opponents with Interrupts alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users