Stats have changed - according to the Steam PoE manual

INT doesn't take care of both duration and range anymore, RES affects durations; deflection is given by INT instead of PER; interrupt seems to have been removed totally from stats effects. It looks like the update on the wiki recently wasn't a mistake. Back to the drawing board for the perfect party comp, ehhe!

Page 4 of the manual:

To access the manual, go on the PoE steam page, scroll down a bit there's a link to the manual to the right of the screen.

"Perception

A character’s senses, as well as their instinctive ability to pick up on

details. Affects Accuracy with all attacks, the Range of all non-melee

spells and abilities, and the Reflexes defense.

Intellect

A character’s logic and reasoning capabilities as well as their

tactical instincts. Affects the size of all Area of Effects and the Will

and Deflection defenses.

Resolve

A character’s inner drive, determination, and the emotional intensity

they can project to others. Affects Concentration (to resist Interrupts),

Durations of all spells and abilities, and the Will defense."

Edited by Kaladin818

And Perception would affect accuracy ?  Well, they would have then, finally made the stat worthwhile. But I'm loathe to accept this is all true, could be description from beta months ago for all we know. Now I am still concerned with Dexterity.

Edited by Azmodiuz

Obsidian wrote:

​"those scummy backers, we're going to screw them over by giving them their game on the release date. That'll show those bastards!" 

Now we know what's going on...

Well I read on the "Keys? When?" thread that the manual was just made available recently on Steam. Go the on PoE steam page, you can access the manual in the menu to the right if you scroll down a bit. We'll know soon enough for ourselves, on the 26th...

Edited by Kaladin818

If you look manual's pages 69-70 you will find table for attribute bonuses and see that manual has quite old information in it or Obsidian decided at last minute to go back to bonuses that they used when beta started.

If you look manual's pages 69-70 you will find table for attribute bonuses and see that manual has quite old information in it or Obsidian decided at last minute to go back to bonuses that they used when beta started.

The manual I got from Steam only has 38 pages. Is it the steam one you got?

It's the problem with printed manuals, which have to be booked at the printers months in advance. It just doesn't jive well with the speed of development, especially tweaking at the end. Though I have no idea why you'd post the old, out of date pdf used for print manual months ago.

Basically, ignore the whole thing. It is filled with incorrect, out of date information, and if some thing are correct, it is by coincidence only. Expect lots of confusion as a result of this. Good times, good times

It's also possible that the manual is out of date. Those look  to me exactly how they were in one of the previous backer betas.

Quoted for truth.  This is exactly how the stats worked like 3 BB versions ago.  The manual is probably just wrong.

• Like 1

http://eternity.obsidian.net/manual/errata

^ link to errata for the manual.  Manual is out of date. 

flails just became a great freaking weapon, unless there is a missing % in there somewhere.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

http://eternity.obsidian.net/manual/errata

^ link to errata for the manual.  Manual is out of date. 

:facepalm:

the errata needs errata.  The wording for intellect suggests the duration buff only occurs on AoE spells.   And neither size nor duration of non-spell abilities are ever affected by Int.

@Gromnir- yeah, saw that one on Sensuki's video.  Only 30% of grazes are converted.

Edited by Voss
  • Like 1

the errata needs errata.  The wording for intellect suggests the duration buff only occurs on AoE spells.   And neither size nor duration of non-spell abilities are ever affected by Int.

@Gromnir- yeah, saw that one on Sensuki's video.  Only 30% of grazes are converted.

Grazes aren't as huge a damage loss as they used to be, they have changed the formula extensively over the BB beta to move away from a "accuracy and not grazing is better dps than pumping things that straight increase dps" formula.  So while that is a good bonus, don't expect it to make the weapon somehow the be all end all of dps.  Many classes have talents that will even give you 20% or more graze converts with any attack.

Edited by Karkarov

Grazes aren't as huge a damage loss as they used to be, they have changed the formula extensively over the BB beta to move away from a "accuracy and not grazing is better dps than pumping things that straight increase dps" formula.  So while that is a good bonus, don't expect it to make the weapon somehow the be all end all of dps.  Many classes have talents that will even give you 20% or more graze converts with any attack.

change all grazes to crits woulda' been pretty darn impressive for a weapon attribute. 30%?  far less impressive.  is still better than old weapon feature for flails, but it ain't as great as it looked to be based on reading o' manual errata.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

So is only the Steam manual obsolete or all retail versions will be worthless?

The printed manuals were printed from the same document, sent into the printers a long time ago. They will also be worthless.

This was essentially unavoidable given how the printing industry works and how game development works  (games are tweaked to the last minute, and printed material needs to be finalized into a printing copy roughly 6-8 weeks before they are shipped). Also why most game developers gave up on printed manuals, or if they still do them, don't use numbers or anything else subject to change.  Wasted money on something that can not be functional, or even useful.

Edited by Voss

This was essentially unavoidable given how the printing industry works and how game development works  (games are tweaked to the last minute, and printed material needs to be finalized into a printing copy roughly 6-8 weeks before they are shipped). 

That is a false statement. I have plenty of manuals that still are valid for my games.

Usually the game devs know what they are doing some time before the game release and print of the manuals. I really doubt that many other developers have no idea how their system should work day before the release.

Printed manuals, for games published in the last couple of years, where development continued up until the last days?

If so, that's some lazy-ass developers right there.

t50aJUd.jpg

I would think that they're going to have to republish (in PDF form, I mean ... I wouldn't expect a full reprint) the manual at some point when the underlying attribute system finally settles into a final form.

I work in the advertising industry and the publishing lead times on big print jobs can be stretch from weeks to months, encompassing writing, design, proofing and printing. And with all the revisions that have been occuring throughout the BB, manuals must have been a nightmare to keep consistent. I don't envy them that task, and I'm not at all surprised that it's not entirely correct right now.

The BG manuals had a number of errors, particularly in the spell list iirc.

Edited by tinderbox

Manuals have always had these kinds of errors. Every IE game came with an errata text file(And pretty much every game ever), the BG1 manual described game mechanics that didn't exist in the game, etc. It's a little more excessive in this case, as changes have been substantial and ongoing, but 

Regardless, it was unavoidable that the physical manuals would become obsolete. Just the balancing patches alone would make the manual incorrect on day 1, regardless of whether it was 100% correct for the release version. Same thing applies to the IE games, as well. This is just one of the many reasons why manuals aren't made anymore.

The digital manual will probably see updates, though.

Edited by Tartantyco

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Manuals have always had these kinds of errors. Every IE game came with an errata text file(And pretty much every game ever), the BG1 manual described game mechanics that didn't exist in the game, etc. It's a little more excessive in this case, as changes have been substantial and ongoing, but 

Regardless, it was unavoidable that the physical manuals would become obsolete. Just the balancing patches alone would make the manual incorrect on day 1, regardless of whether it was 100% correct for the release version. Same thing applies to the IE games, as well. This is just one of the many reasons why manuals aren't made anymore.

The digital manual will probably see updates, though.

I am pretty easily pleased -- I just want a cool, fun game. Still, I would be disappointed if they didn't update the PDF manual to match the final product.

I gained a lot of game knowledge from reading those BG manuals back in the day, and I believe keeping the digital manuals correct as possible will be really useful to understanding the ins and outs of character building in the POE system. Especially for folks who haven't been hacking at the BB for five or six months.

EDIT to emphasise I'm talking about digital versions.

Edited by tinderbox

It's obvious that the manual is wrong for a number of reasons:

1. Refers to "Damage Threshold" which has been renamed/removed from the game

2. In one section discussing hows Perception and Resolve increase deflection... but in a later section completely contradicts this by stating that no attribute increase deflection. 

3. http://eternity.obsidian.net/manual/errata

Edited by Bazy

Anyone here knows what the wood elves bonus actually is?

Distant Advantage - Against any enemy that is more than 4m away,

you gain a bonus to Accuracy, Deflection, and Reflexes

If they haven't changed it then it's +5 on those