GoG vs Steam veresions  

854 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you redeem your key ?

• Steam
    • GoG

I think I'm going with Steam. I do like DRM free but Steam lets me track how many hours I've played it, etc.

See, that's exactly why I'm not going with Steam.  Every now and again I look at my hours clocked on some of my favorite games and hear my dad in my head asking me what the hell I'm doing with my life.

• Like 2

Is this thread about which store we DID redeem through, or which store we WOULD redeem through (if we could do over)?

I redeemed through GOG, since I like their DRM free policy. Had I known about the patch snafu, however, I probably would have bought through Steam

Steam - Because the (free) Steamworks implementation could have given the game painless Co-Op multiplayer in no time at all if Obsidian hadn't promised a non-steam version.

Also - Only a tiny margin of people actually buy non-Steam versions today if given the choice. Paradox caved to a loud minority of people who wanted a "DRM free" variant of Crusader Kings. Turned out they sold less than double digits worth in Gamersgate copies, not even enough to cover the costs of running two separate builds.

Steam - Because the (free) Steamworks implementation could have given the game painless Co-Op multiplayer in no time at all if Obsidian hadn't promised a non-steam version.

That had nothing to do with multiplayer. Obs never intended for the game to have multiplayer functionality, Steam or not.

Tiny minority?  The poll here alone suggest you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also...there is more to a game than multiplayer.   Why does everything have to include *&£^ing multiplayer these days?

Well... the original Baldur's Gate had multiplayer.

Also, keep in mind that the people who bother to post on Obsidian's forums represent a small minority of the overall players. We are the most hardcore, vocal section of the userbase. The ones most likely to care about small things. I doubt 40% of Obsidian's actual sales will be coming from GOG.

That had nothing to do with multiplayer. Obs never intended for the game to have multiplayer functionality, Steam or not.

Indirectly it did - Had they not chosen to give people the option to buy it on other platforms, they could have invested in Multiplayer at a much, much lower cost than what they would need to do now that Steamworks isn't an option. The main reasoning for not including Co-Op multiplayer was investment costs - I.E. dedicating a programmer to get it sorted.

Steamworks is pretty much "tack on - turn on". Making a multiplayer API from scratch is not.

Tiny minority?  The poll here alone suggest you have no idea what you're talking about.

Also...there is more to a game than multiplayer.   Why does everything have to include *&£^ing multiplayer these days?

Well... the original Baldur's Gate had multiplayer.

Also, keep in mind that the people who bother to post on Obsidian's forums represent a small minority of the overall players. We are the most hardcore, vocal section of the userbase. The ones most likely to care about small things. I doubt 40% of Obsidian's actual sales will be coming from GOG.

Rigggght...that old vocal minority thing again huh.  Now where I have seen that recently around here.....

It was only a tiny minority of Paradox Interactive's buyers (apparently about 4%) who went with GamersGate over Steam. Of course that 4% of buyers was very, very heavily represented on the forums.

Obsidian knows how many of their sales are come from Steam and how many are coming from GoG. I doubt they'd share, but they know how the buyers really feel.

Curious about the subraces in Pillars of Eternity? Check out 

Steam might be the only one to give preload, but GoG gives DRM free version without the client hog, so different people might prefer different things ... what would YOU pick in the upcoming days ? :-)

Let's see.  Steam requires you to be online when you play.  If your internet is down, or if Steam is down (which it is a lot - at least briefly) you can't play the game.  Not to mention that the Steam client is near 100mb.  I don't need all that much extra spyware on my HD.  I have enough already.  I must admit that Steam FINALLY fixed it so you can close their "client" without going into the Task Manager to do it.   GOG all the way for me.

Rigggght...that old vocal minority thing again huh.  Now where I have seen that recently around here.....

I dunno what the chip on your shoulder is, but you better HOPE we're a tiny minority of Obsidian's customers.

There are currently 625 people browsing this forum.

If that's more than half of the people who bought POE then the game just tanked hard.

I dunno what the chip on your shoulder is, but you better HOPE we're a tiny minority of Obsidian's customers.

If that's more than half of the people who bought POE then the game just tanked hard.

You do understand that a very small percentage of a games players actually bother to come to a forum right?   And those that have, and conducted in this poll...GoG users are far from a small minority.  I'll equate Steam to One Direction, Miley, Beiber....just because something is popular and sheep masses flock to it, make it good it does not.

As for hoping, ummm why?

Edited by Maviarab

You do understand that a very small percentage of a games players actually bother to come to a forum right?   And those that have, and conducted in this poll...GoG users are far from a small minority.  I'll equate Steam to One Direction, Miley, Beiber....just because something is popular and sheep masses flock to it, make it good it does not.

As for hoping, ummm why?

One Direction and Miley are good tho’

Any time I'm given the choice between GoG and Steam, I'll take GoG all day long. No client required, download when I feel like, if I want to go sit on the hill behind the playground in the sand pit on my laptop, I can start the game up, and have no problems, no matter when the last time I linked to the Internet. I'll take it. 

• Like 1

I went with GoG, but the downside of no patches is pretty severe.

1. Have patience.

2. Patches are not always good. The patch initially released on Steam yesterday broke a few things and a hotfix was needed.

3. The 1.03 patch is now available on gog.