GoG vs Steam veresions  

854 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you redeem your key ?

• Steam
    • GoG

I always been a big GoG fan but I might go with steam on this one. I haven't have many paid steam games in my collection. As much as I hate DRM, steam offers pre-load and quick update.

PoE won't have any DRM attached to it on Steam...

But I guess people will never learn that.

Is this confirmed? Can you link a source? I was going to get my copy form GOG, but if the Steam version is DRM-free, I might grab that one instead.

Well, it would seem weird that the devs specifically stated that the backer boxed copies of the game are DRM-free, while the retail copies require Steam. But I guess without input from the devs, we'll find out tomorrow when someone tests it out (I'm sure someone will do so).

Don't know yet, both have their pluses and minuses

Steam

- game locked to Steam/Valve, so game lost if I mess up somehow and get my account banned

just want to clarify, the only case of banning that you'd ever go through is a VAC ban which doesn't make you lose your games.  You just lose access to VAC access servers, like TF2 etc.  Otherwise if you actually get banned its for something very serious and definitely illegal.

For me, Steam of course.  Steam DRM is better than no DRM.

Steam, because of the convenience of auto-updates and the built in social functionality, even if this isn't a multi-player game.  Had GOG's Galaxy client been out at this point I maybe would have decided differently, but it isn't.

You just broke my heart :'(

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

I always been a big GoG fan but I might go with steam on this one. I haven't have many paid steam games in my collection. As much as I hate DRM, steam offers pre-load and quick update.

PoE won't have any DRM attached to it on Steam...

But I guess people will never learn that.

Is this confirmed? Can you link a source? I was going to get my copy form GOG, but if the Steam version is DRM-free, I might grab that one instead.

Well, it would seem weird that the devs specifically stated that the backer boxed copies of the game are DRM-free, while the retail copies require Steam. But I guess without input from the devs, we'll find out tomorrow when someone tests it out (I'm sure someone will do so).

Not only that. With Paradox as distributor it would make no sense to artificially push DRM into the Steam version. All of their own games are DRM-free on Steam and their CEO, Fred Wester, said himself that he actually think DRM is pointless and no game should have it...

@dancingcrab

My post wasn't meant to be dismissive. I'm sorry if you think it was.

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 2
35167v4.jpg

Steam, because of the convenience of auto-updates and the built in social functionality, even if this isn't a multi-player game.  Had GOG's Galaxy client been out at this point I maybe would have decided differently, but it isn't.

You just broke my heart :'(

tumblr_mbp2rc0haN1rztnb3o1_r1_500.gif

Midget soothsayer robs bank. Small medium at large!

Steam... I mean; who wouldn't want a Pillars background. Except I probably host one of Shelter 2 instead, but that's aside the point XD

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Does anyone ever worry that they will say something nasty to a troll on the steam forums and have their account ban? Would suck to lose all my games like that. Having said that, I like Gabe's policies and how he is actively fighting against the tyranny of evil (Windows) by releasing his steambox with a Linux OS. That is something I am happy to support.

Edited by Soth007

Steam would be ok, if it were easy to separate the game from their Steam wrapper.  There's probably a way to do it, but it's simpler to just download from GOG and then install it wherever I want and archive it to a flash stick for safety.

The only Steam extra I'd want is pre-load one day in advance, but I'm patient.  I think achievements are silly, tracking game time isn't particularly helpful for much (though some forum posters use it to discount someone else's opinion).  Steam overlay is the first thing I turn off.  Then I turn off auto-update always, no exceptions.  Then I turn off the saving stuff to the cloud.

For me, Steam of course.  Steam DRM is better than no DRM.

No DRM is always better than a tiny amount of DRM.  A benevolent dictator is still a dictator.

To many, steam DRM is actually a nice bundle of features, not a burden. The online activation thingie is completely irrelevant to me (and as I said, many others), compared to the gains.

1669_planescape_torment-prev.png

Steam all the way.  Got my whole collection of games on there, its a super great system that supports the way I play my games.  I've bought a couple games on GoG before because they weren't available anywhere else, but I use Steam whenever possible because it really is easier to use.

Steam does DRM-free as well. Wasteland 2, and a ton of other games on Steam are DRM-free. I'm wondering if PoE will also be DRM-free on Steam.

Ummm... Steam is DRM... :facepalm:

I'll get mine on GoG and pick up a Steam version down the line when it's on sale.

He was correct. Steam allows the use of their DRM component, but doesn't enforce it. It's possible to have DRM free games on Steam, where Steam only acts as a mere downloader and nothing else.

Meh, I disagree if only because being able to copy a game folder and run it later is not the same as having a truly DRM version that you can install when you want as many times as you want and easily back-up. Don’t get me wrong, I use Steam and grudgingly like bits of it but, overall, I don’t care for the product and mostly use it because there isn’t a good alternative (hence activating my copy on GoG when I had the choice between it and Steam). But I suspect that we have differing views of what constitutes DRM and should agree to disagree. Also I hate that Steam forces games to auto-update even though, technically, if you just used Steam to download the game and then launched it through the folder that wouldn't be an issue.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

GOG is superior in every way outside of not being mainstream like Steam. Plus, I got stuck with PE on Steam beta and was dissapointed in it. Maybe, it being on GOG will improcve the game? *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Both. I have a steam version for the ease of updates, and the GOG version because I wanted a stand alone installer (No steam). I swear as soon a GoG galaxy is launched I'm ditching steam. Oh, I also have a physical copy coming. So there is that too. 

I can't Support steam with good conscience. Giving that you don't truly own your games

In the cases of both Steam and GoG, a person purchases a license for a game, not an installer, and not an account. Steam's subscriber agreement relates to their server service, and not the games a person owns in their account - and GoG has its exact equivalent which is their Terms of Use agreement, in which GoG reserves the same rights to terminate an account, and to change their Terms of Use without warning and at their discretion.

So Steam game purchases are owned by the purchaser in the same sense that games were owned prior to digital distribution, and in the same sense that a game purchased through GoG is owned. In all cases, the purchaser receives a license, which is the sole possession of the one who purchased it.

• Like 5

So Steam game purchases are owned by the purchaser in the same sense that games were owned prior to digital distribution, and in the same sense that a game purchased through GoG is owned. In all cases, the purchaser receives a license, which is the sole possession of the one who purchased it.

No. Because the other part of the equation is the practical enforcement of it being a service*, which can only be done with drm. With a drm free game it doesn't matter what they say, if you get banned or if GOG goes out of business or whatever, because you can always install from a backup and there is nothing that can be done to stop you doing so; to all practical considerations you own a product and aren't just leasing a licence to play. That is very seldom true for a game bought from Steam.

*Also depends where you are. We're lucky enough to have software defined legally as a product rather than a service here, which puts it under the Consumer's Guarantee Act. Hence even Steam is forced to have a proper refund policy, though we're about the only place to get it.

• Like 1

Honestly, I'm undecided. Think I'm going to wait a week or two before deciding. I generally like both services for various reasons. I also have things I dislike about each.

I also have an insane workweek and a funeral coming up midway through, so It'll be a week or two before I have time to play anyways. May as well sit on my choice until then as well and see how things look once folks have had time to settle into the reality of their choices rather than the theoretics of it.

Also wishing I had a second key to go with the both option, but the economy sucks and so does my paycheck.