GoG vs Steam veresions  

854 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you redeem your key ?

• Steam
    • GoG

Steam does DRM-free as well. Wasteland 2, and a ton of other games on Steam are DRM-free. I'm wondering if PoE will also be DRM-free on Steam.

Ummm... Steam is DRM... :facepalm:

I'll get mine on GoG and pick up a Steam version down the line when it's on sale.

He was correct. Steam allows the use of their DRM component, but doesn't enforce it. It's possible to have DRM free games on Steam, where Steam only acts as a mere downloader and nothing else. Also: http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/page1

• Like 2

Steam has a whole lot of benefits. Just some of them:

• easy and comfortable game management (if you know one or two tricks it's easily the best thing about Steam)
  • automatic and frequent patching of your games
  • in house streaming (very useful if you have multiple devices in your house)
  • family sharing (I use that feature with some of my good friends as well)
  • achievements
  • cloud saves (so you can play the same game on multiple devices without tedious manual savegame transfer)
  • built-in workshop for easy and comfortable mod management
  • built-in community features in the overlay (like solutions, tricks, guides, livechat,...)
  • social functions (like sharing of reviews, screenshots, artworks, videos, also forums)
  • easy and comfortable co-op and mulitplayer with built-in voice chat (if supported by the game)
  • preloads
  • steam trading (although a bit limited now with regional restrictions)
  • external key integration (if buying from other shops or retail versions)
  • easy and comfortable possibility to take part in beta versions
  • early access function
  • closed beta function (see Pillars backer beta)
  • crazy sales on Steam itself and other shops that sell Steam keys

Imho there is a whole lot of good features coming with Steam but that's just me of course...

35167v4.jpg

Uhm... It's kind of cynical to praise this as a positive feature when sharing is only a problem because of DRM, don't you think? I mean it sounds like this is something gog.com would have to catch up to, when it doesn't need this in the first place because of no DRM.

I definitely understand now why gog is running towards galaxy. If it works like Steam (=auto-patching), people will have to come up with new excuses why they are only using Steam.

Edited by huang
  • Like 4

• preloads
  • crazy sales on Steam itself and other shops that sell Steam keys

Imho there is a whole lot of good features coming with Steam but that's just me of course...

Yeah, it's totally a personal thing whether Steam is great, meh, or just evil. I fall into the 'meh' category. While I don't hate Steam, I also don't praise it. Of all those things you listed, the only ones that are of any appeal to me at all are the two I've quoted. None of the others are compelling reasons to me, and some are outright drawbacks. To each his own.

• Like 2

GOG!

I don't mind Steam at all though, it's a good service and convenient distribution platform with some nifty features.

But I like the idea behind GOG (old and new games) and want to support that if possible.

Both services have me download and install the game faster than it takes to get to a shop, buy it, go back home and install it.

Also waiting for my Collectors Edition from Obsidian :)

• Like 3

Uhm... It's kind of cynical to praise this as a positive feature when sharing is only a problem because of DRM, don't you think? I mean it sounds like this is something gog.com would have to catch up to, when it doesn't need this in the first place because of no DRM.

I definitely understand now why gog is running towards galaxy. If it works like Steam (=auto-patching), people will have to come up with new excuses why they are only using Steam.

Ahem, "sharing" isn't allow on GOG neither. Just because you technically can (without changing the code) doesn't mean that you have the legal right to copy the game and give a free copy to other people. It's funny that people tend to defend GOG for being DRM free while they obviously argue with things that are clearly against GOG's own EULA (for example, you're also not allowed to sell your GOG games neither).

And no, I don't need "excuses" for using Steam, why should I? It's not something I'm ashamed of. I use Steam because it offers the premium package and features I like. Do whatever you want to do but don't judge on others just because you don't understand their reasons or just because you personally have different priorities...

I also never said that people have to use Steam. I just said that there are good reasons for some and that for some this whole DRM-free discussion isn't of great importance after all. To be more precise, personally I don't give a **** about DRM if it's not always-online crap (and that's not part of Steam's tools).

Edited by LordCrash
  • Like 4
35167v4.jpg

Ahem, "sharing" isn't allow on GOG neither. Just because you technically can (without changing the code) doesn't mean that you have the legal right to copy the game and give a free copy to other people. It's funny that people tend to defend GOG for being DRM free while they obviously argue with things that are clearly against GOG's own EULA (for example, you're also not allowed to sell your GOG games neither).

Although GOG has explicitly stated that you can share copies of your games with people in your own household. Still, yes, many people completely misinterpret GOG's DRM-freeness as tacit permission to share with friends etc.

Although GOG has explicitly stated that you can share copies of your games with people in your own household. Still, yes, many people completely misinterpret GOG's DRM-freeness as tacit permission to share with friends etc.

"in your household", yes. So it's basically the same thing as with Steam family sharing although I can share Steam games with people who live far away from me, like my brother, who lives in a different town. ;)

And if we don't really care about "subtle legal issues" anyway, I could just use the benefits of the Steam version and download a cracked version from a pirate site for backup since I've already bought the thing. So I had the best of both worlds, don't ya all think? ;)

Edited by LordCrash
35167v4.jpg

"in your household", yes. So it's basically the same thing as with Steam family sharing although I can share Steam games with people who live far away from me, like my brother, who lives in a different town. ;)

And if we don't really care about "subtle legal issues" anyway, I could just use the benefits of the Steam version and download a cracked version from a pirate site for backup since I've already bought the thing. So I had the best of both worlds, don't ya all think? ;)

Probably can't argue with that. :)

I can't Support steam with good conscience. Giving that you don't truly own your games and they have the worst costumer service I've ever experienced sans tangling with the government. The monopoly thing doesn't ever imply good things either....... and the immense amount of trash that gets unloaded on the platform, also the ease in which the early assess devs seem to screw people over makes me sick. I'm probably still bitter over the making of Skyrim a steam exclusive and the general trend it set. I bought a physical copy of Skyrim so I was a bit shocked when it installed steam on my computer.

Before that I'd never thought such a thing was possible. Kinda depressing for me really. More naive times, simpler for me back then....  ;(  Ima go now.

Edited by Rykn
  • Like 2

Will the GoG versions get patches/updates at the same time as Steam?

Also, checking back on this recently noticed the expansion, that was something added post-KS? Cause I don't remember it even though I pledged for the Royal it's not included :(

I always been a big GoG fan but I might go with steam on this one. I haven't have many paid steam games in my collection. As much as I hate DRM, steam offers pre-load and quick update.

PoE won't have any DRM attached to it on Steam...

But I guess people will never learn that.

Is this confirmed? Can you link a source? I was going to get my copy form GOG, but if the Steam version is DRM-free, I might grab that one instead.

Also, checking back on this recently noticed the expansion, that was something added post-KS? Cause I don't remember it even though I pledged for the Royal it's not included :(

Going by GOG's previous history re patches, it'll take maybe a day or so longer than Steam for them to get them up.  And no, the expansion's been in there since partway through the Kickstarter.

GoG naturally, got to love the old fashioned concept of owning what you buy :) To me, Steam is only an option when the game is not legally available elsewhere.

• Like 3

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

After first going "Steam", then waffling on that all morning, Steam it is, for the key. I'll always have the backer-box copy if I desperately want to play a non-patched game, in the future, for some oddball reason.

...not that that will likely occur, I just like the thought that I could. Heh. Box version will most likely just sit on a shelf somewhere in a place of honor.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Going by GOG's previous history re patches, it'll take maybe a day or so longer than Steam for them to get them up.  And no, the expansion's been in there since partway through the Kickstarter.

Ok thanks, must have missed it after I pledged then )

There's a Gog vs Steam topic in the Backer Beta forums too, but I'll chime in here as well.

GoG all the way. I don't really understand the convenience factor from Steam. I don't want my games to auto-upload. I don't care about achievements or online network of friends. I don't want to have to go through a separate 3rd party program just to install my games.

GoG's DRM-free download-->install is BY FAR the most convenient for me.

The big triple-A companies are really, really, really stupid for not wanting to put games up on GoG (or DRM-free on their own sites). Square-Enix and Ubisoft lost money from me not because of piracy, but because they didn't offer Tomb Raider 2013 (and likely the next Tomb Raider), Dragon Age Inquisition, Rayman Legends, Child of Light, and Grow Home DRM-free. That's at least $150 right there from this potential customer (and many of his friends share the same aversion to DRM).

Meanwhile, CDProjekt, GoG, and Obsidian are raking it in from me big time.

acb.jpg

• Like 7

I wanted to go GoG because they're fun, and I have a ton of old RPGs on there, but I ultimately sided with steam for the updates, and the ease at which I'll be able to mod the game in the future - particularly if people get to making their own modules, that'll be super helpful. 

- In the case of either service, a downloaded game folder can be archived, stored, extracted, and used anywhere and on any PC without restrictions

This is not true on Steam for many modern games (regardless of Steamworks) unless they're from a small indie developer, for reasons stated above. I'll be interested to see if it's the case for PoE. Of course, you could copy the folder to another computer and put it in the Steam directory and Steam will most likely happily use it after repairing the installation.

With GOG, I can download the install package and archive it. Done. Never deal with GOG again. Sure, maybe future hardware or OS changes will lead to it being unplayable, I won't have the latest patches, but the game installer is unshackled from ANY server-side needs.

Actually that's not only the case for "small indie developers". It's also true for the whole catalogue of games made by Paradox. So there is no reason why it shouldn't be the case for PoE. And it's also the case for example for Divinity Original Sin and everything made by Larian. You can see a full list of DRM-free games on Steam right here.

None of these games need the Steam client for anything else than the initial download. Beyond that you can just deinstall Steam.

The only difference left between Steam and GOG in this case is that you have to install Steam as a small tool for downloading while you can use your browser for GOG. That's about the WHOLE difference. You can't really call that difference DRM vs. non-DRM anymore. It's just pointless imho.

By the way, you can read about Paradox' stance on DRM here and here.

Firstly, you needn't be so dismissive of other's opinions. I clearly stated that DRM has become a subjective and charged term. I also posted previously that I'm personally redeeming a PoE Steam key. I like Steam. This isn't a personal attack on you. (Or Steam!)

I like to archive my games. I suffer from extreme nostalgia, and have dreams of sharing my gaming experiences with my (currently nine month old) son one day. Thus I like to own DRM-free/platform-independent copies of important titles.

In my experience, copying bigger games from their Steam install directory into another directory in order to archive them has resulted in mix results, regardless of Steamworks. I've tried pulled an archived game onto a new PC, with a different installation of the OS, and it simply hasn't been able to launch due to a lack of configured registry items and necessary complex admin rights for save locations. This may not be other's experience, but it has been mine. GOG and the Humble Store make my archiving process much simpler.

I understand this is not an angle you are pushing for. Your analogy comparing Steam and your browser makes this clear. However, GOG (and Humble) providing independent installer packages is a positive for many of us, and something Steam does not offer.

Edited by dancingcrab
  • Like 5

The Dude abides.