GoG vs Steam veresions  

854 members have voted

1. 1. Where would you redeem your key ?

• Steam
    • GoG

Steam does DRM-free as well. Wasteland 2, and a ton of other games on Steam are DRM-free. I'm wondering if PoE will also be DRM-free on Steam.

Ummm... Steam is DRM... :facepalm:

I'll get mine on GoG and pick up a Steam version down the line when it's on sale.

• Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Don't know yet, both have their pluses and minuses

Steam

+ Easy patching

+ time tracking

- game locked to Steam/Valve, so game lost if I mess up somehow and get my account banned

- Extra client to have always running

GOG

+ DRM free

+ great ideals

- patching is a pain in the ass

- slower to get patches out as they have to go through some process or other first

I tend to think of new stuff on Steam, old stuff on GOG. Its been an easy choice on a couple of Kickstart projects as I've had two keys, so I've redeemed one on each service (Wasteland 2, Tex Murphy Tesla, and one or two others)

Steam. Because I was less than happy with my GoG version of Wasteland 2. Missed a patch, the next one wasn't compatible with my version any more, had to download the full client again instead of a few MB. Sucks if you're on a slow DSL connection.

I love GoG, but usually only buy older titles from them.

Incidentally, I had the same problem and just emailed support; they uploaded the patch I missed and emailed me a link.

Steam. Because I was less than happy with my GoG version of Wasteland 2. Missed a patch, the next one wasn't compatible with my version any more, had to download the full client again instead of a few MB. Sucks if you're on a slow DSL connection.

Incidentally, I had the same problem and just emailed support; they uploaded the patch I missed and emailed me a link.

Because, unlike Steam, they have support... :getlost:

• Like 2

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Because, unlike Steam, they have support... :getlost:

Fast support, too.  And not uncommonly lower prices.  I only wish they were as fast about getting patches up; I'd prefer GOG overall, but I'm going with Steam for my digital copy because of that and the preloading. 

I did both GOG and Steam. I'm an achievement whore and caved in to Steam. But also wanted a copy for my GOG bookshelf.

r31b62D.jpg

vKyHxCA.gif

Except Lionheart, damn that was a disappointment. So much potential. So bad.

t50aJUd.jpg

Except Lionheart, damn that was a disappointment. So much potential. So bad.

The first city was alright (basically the only bit of the game that got fleshed out before it became a hack-and-slash fest).

• Like 4

-Hurlshot