Chanter Stats

Vaalac

Hey guys ! I'm trying to plan a little bit my character creation but I'm having some doubts and was hoping some of you (who played a lot more the BB than me) could lend me a hand.

I'm planning to make a Fire Godlike Chanter.

I know the Chanter is mainly see as a good Tank/Support, but I was wondering if it could make a nice DPS/Support ?

I was thinking about making my character wields Guns and Spears/Polearm. With the idea to be close of the Melee characters (for my buffs) by shooting on enemies when I'm in an open area and switching for the polearm when I can block the main path with my others characters (Since if I remember well you have enought range to stay just behind another character to hit an enemy with this kind of weapon).

So my idea would have been to get 18 int, and to spread the rest of my points in Perception or Resolve and Might. So my Chanter's still a good talker but can handle a fight.

I'm not quite sure of what would be the most useful between Resolve and Perception from this point of view.

What do you think about this ? Is this doable ? 

Well, if you want to go this route, you could do 18 int, 14 might and 15 perception, that should give you quite a few options for dialogue, a nice damage bonus, and plenty of aoe/duration bonuses. Weapon focus soldier covers both arquebus and pike, so you seem pretty solid there,

I'd say perception over resolve, because as a second line warrior, have a slight bonus to interrupt on your attacks makes more sense than a bonus to concentration when you get hit (which should be rarely)

The only real quibble I have is fire godlike is a complete disadvantage for you, no helms and a racial ability that will only rarely if ever happen, and then only if the whole fight goes south. Wood elf, hearth orlan or island aumaua (2 guns and then go in with the pole arm) offer a lot more to the character, and in every fight.

Hey guys ! I'm trying to plan a little bit my character creation but I'm having some doubts and was hoping some of you (who played a lot more the BB than me) could lend me a hand.

I know the Chanter is mainly see as a good Tank/Support, but I was wondering if it could make a nice DPS/Support ?

I was thinking about making my character wields Guns and Spears/Polearm. With the idea to be close of the Melee characters (for my buffs) by shooting on enemies when I'm in an open area and switching for the polearm when I can block the main path with my others characters (Since if I remember well you have enought range to stay just behind another character to hit an enemy with this kind of weapon).

So my idea would have been to get 18 int, and to spread the rest of my points in Perception or Resolve and Might. So my Chanter's still a good talker but can handle a fight.

I'm not quite sure of what would be the most useful between Resolve and Perception from this point of view.

I played as a DPS chanter in the BB, and it was quite different from what you were considering. I created a necromancer chanter, that primarily used a rod, with envenomed strike when needed, and then focused on Debuffs, summons and then damage in that order. The stats were max Might and Intellect, to get the most out of my invocations. As he would be in the backline, I didn't worry about Con, Dex, and so I went with Resolve/Perception at the same level, as that fit my RP for the character. He played amazingly well, and the summons were fun to make use of, especially to give flanking bonuses.

Yeah I know, but the godlike choice is more a Roleplay reason than a Gameplay one I confess :).

Thanks for the advices, and do you think I can do without dexterity easily ? Accuracy is not link to DEX right ?

I just went to see the talents again, and I'm having hesitation between pikes/Arquebuse or Saber/Gun (because let's face it, a Chanter with a Gun and a Saber is just too badass to handle). I'll think about it.

Beside that, do you have any advices about the kind or armor to use ? I was thinking Medium/Light but I'm not sure about it.

By the way, is there any advantage to use a weapon with nothing in the off-hand ? 

I played as a DPS chanter in the BB, and it was quite different from what you were considering. I created a necromancer chanter, that primarily used a rod, with envenomed strike when needed, and then focused on Debuffs, summons and then damage in that order. The stats were max Might and Intellect, to get the most out of my invocations. As he would be in the backline, I didn't worry about Con, Dex, and so I went with Resolve/Perception at the same level, as that fit my RP for the character. He played amazingly well, and the summons were fun to make use of, especially to give flanking bonuses.

I was planning to mainly use invocations :). I'm considering using a gun instead of your rod (Rp reason + I never liked rods). Thanks for the feedback anyway that's really helpful :)

Yeah I know, but the godlike choice is more a Roleplay reason than a Gameplay one I confess :).

Thanks for the advices, and do you think I can do without dexterity easily ? Accuracy is not link to DEX right ?

I just went to see the talents again, and I'm having hesitation between pikes/Arquebuse or Saber/Gun (because let's face it, a Chanter with a Gun and a Saber is just too badass to handle). I'll think about it.

Beside that, do you have any advices about the kind or armor to use ? I was thinking Medium/Light but I'm not sure about it.

By the way, is there any advantage to use a weapon with nothing in the off-hand ? 

No, these days, accuracy isn't linked to anything.  Dex is linked to attack speed, however, so can be useful

Saber & pistol share a group, so go well together (though you can't sword and gun simultaneously).  Saber also does higher than normal damage for an average speed weapon.  

At the moment, I'd recommend no armor at all unless the character is tanking.  Medium is pretty much right out. 

As for single weapon:  in theory, yes.  You do get an accuracy bonus.  However, you also get hit with a huge recovery penalty (to the point that you might as well use a two-handed weapon, which more than outweighs the accuracy buff.  If you're going to go saber, I'd recommend dual saber or saber/stilleto (personally more satisfying to me, as I've got a thing about how ridiculous dual weilding full sized weapons is).

might/dex + no armor + arquebus = boom! gib! boom!

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

I like Pike for chanter - between the melee and the ranged, giving them both the chant buffs.

Alternatively, anything you give a blunderbuss(+penetrating shot) or arquebus to can deal good ranged damage, chanter's not the best damage but with Ila Knocked they're a valuable part of a ranged group.

I'd say use padded or no armor, max might, high int, mid-high dex depending on how far you're willing to drop con/per/res.