I challenge you. You only get one chance...

218 members have voted

1. 1. Does this idea sound exciting to you?

• Yes. I was going to do Hard/PotD IM on first playthrough anyway.
    • Yes. And I think I'll give it a shot.
    • Yes. But it's too hard and...ain't nobody got time for that!
    • No. But I'll still play on path of the damned non-ironman.
    • No. I'm no hardcore player, I enjoy the story and rpg aspects more.
    • No. Not exciting at all. Who would do something like that?

I'm definitely going expert mode + iron trial. Since I don't know much of how the game works(haven't followed the game progress too much on the forums as I don't want to be spoiled too much) it should be a brilliant/fun way of learning the game while I ALSO play a more casual hard game without iron.

I guess as a good old IE gamer there is not that much to learn but still....gotta revive the good old feeling of when I was playing BG2 with all the mods that made it harder.

im sort of doing a trial of iron in all my RPGs, since i simply dont use anything other than quick and auto saves. so even if i regret something later i cant go back and change it. however i dont like the idea of having to start all over if i die (at least not for the first playthrough)

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I recently played through IWD on hardest difficulty. So I think I'll continue by playing this with a party entirely created by me, on Hard and with Trial of Iron (but without Expert mode).

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I'll pass on doing my first playthrough on hard mode ironman. Going to play it on normal mode

my first time just so I can enjoy the story. Then second playthrough is going to be on hard mode.

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

After having watched a few vids of people playing path of the damned I think I'll go with hard, as I think PotD is just overkill, will require a specific crowd-control oriented party and in the end Hard is more....realistic...

I'm really not at all interested in PotD. My first playthrough will be on normal; after that I'll probably switch up characters to something easier than a Cipher, like a barbarian or fighter, and play through on hard.

Hell, I'm not even going to disable the stash--although I will play without the helper text in the dialogue. I don't need that ruining my immersion.

I'll go Trial of Iron normal. I'm realistic enough about my skill level at these games to know that Trial of Iron hard is too tough for me.

I'm thinking I might do the same.  I'm not super skilled at this type of game (I just tried a BG1 and umm it was ugly) so I think hard might end too quickly.  I generally hate Iron Man, but for the first playthough of a game I've waited this long for may be worth it.

XCOM nightmares coming back.

*shudders

I tried ironman mode in my first XCOM playthrough. All was good until the almighty teleport bug screwed my group.

So, on topic:

I won't play ironman on my first playthrough. Simply because bugs happen on release version and I would hate to be screwed over by a bug. I'll play ironman a couple of patches in. However, PotD it will be on my first play.

Edited by Zwiebelchen

I'm torn. I have minimal knowledge of the mechanics, setting, story, etc., so an ironman approach in Heart o… er, Path of the Damned difficulty would be crazy. Especially solo. And expert.

I mean, why not tick all the boxes? You only live once!

• Like 1

--/\/

I kind of hope Obsidian does not read too much into this :p

I, like the majority of other people polled, did not express interest in said feature. But that's no reason for something like that to be scrapped, I think we're better off having it even if I'll probably never use it.

• Like 2

My opinion of this entire thread has done a complete 180 since I simply imagined the possibility that the OP might be a trolling clunge ferrret and have no intention whatsoever of playing their first run on Iron Man themselves.

If this turns out to be true then I love you, OP.

• Like 1

My opinion of this entire thread has done a complete 180 since I simply imagined the possibility that the OP might be a trolling clunge ferrret and have no intention whatsoever of playing their first run on Iron Man themselves.

If this turns out to be true then I love you, OP.

Challenge accepted.. ;)

I'll post some pictures to prove I taste my own recipe..

I've never appreciated Iron Man. Not because I can't do it, but because I'm the kind of person that tends to break questlines and find non-intuitive solutions to stuff that makes everything go terrible because apparently the developers couldn't fathom that solution to the problem and now everyone wants to kill me because a completely reasonable dialogue option wasn't included.

But I'm definitely going for Hard. Not masochistic enough for Path of the Damned yet.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

I disagree with your assessment that playing that way equal being hardcore gamer.

Obsidian while far from the worst (*cough* Troika *cough* inXile) doesn't have a stellar bug free track record (but again, who does in this day and age?), and these types of complex crpg are the worst type of game from a bug point of view. What can be a very small typo somewhere could lead to a complex fubar game state dozens of play hours later (yup I played Fallout when it was release, I'm still scarred).

So yes your proposition is interesting. But forget about detailed bug report, and a dev mistake can screw your game more than you could do it yourself.

If Pillars of Eternity was a couple of years old and I just discovered it, I would probably try it your way. But not right now.

I disagree with your assessment that playing that way equal being hardcore gamer.

Obsidian while far from the worst (*cough* Troika *cough* inXile) doesn't have a stellar bug free track record (but again, who does in this day and age?), and these types of complex crpg are the worst type of game from a bug point of view. What can be a very small typo somewhere could lead to a complex fubar game state dozens of play hours later (yup I played Fallout when it was release, I'm still scarred).

So yes your proposition is interesting. But forget about detailed bug report, and a dev mistake can screw your game more than you could do it yourself.

If Pillars of Eternity was a couple of years old and I just discovered it, I would probably try it your way. But not right now.

My thoughts exactly.

I still have nightmares of that alien just popping up outside of the map, unable to get targetted by my soldiers in XCOM...

Edited by Zwiebelchen

Yeah, you know what, I think I will. The biggest problem I have with RPGs is that I spend too long "learning" the game before I dive in, so If I go ahead with a disposable character I can just create a generic fighter and have fun until I die and then I can do something more creative when I understand more about the game.

There, done.

Trying again, still on Hard but not with Trial of Iron.

Breezed through the starter dungeon. Then saw a group of friendly bandits and proceeded to approach un-stealthed. Did not notice the leader's armor and attempted to hack him down with a pollaxe when I should have switched to mace + stiletto, and got murdered by him + archer.

Also, WOOOHOO WOOWEEE WHEEEEE THIS IS AWESOME (but pity my poor wife who's going to feel neglected for a little while).

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com