Kotaku Raves about early Pillars Experience

Hmm, I don't understand the hate towards Kotaku, personally. Them and Rock, Paper, Shotgun are frequent reads of mine. Personally, I thought this was a great read, came off as fair, positive, and it actually got me MORE excited about the game. Looking forward to their full review. 

It's knee-jerk gamergate nonsense, mostly.  Best to disregard. 

• Like 4

RPS is a fetid nest of social justice warrior nonsense. Kotaku I have no strong feelings about, apart from their inability to take five bloody minutes to learn the basic mechanics of the game they're meant to be reviewing.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Hmm, I don't understand the hate towards Kotaku, personally. Them and Rock, Paper, Shotgun are frequent reads of mine. Personally, I thought this was a great read, came off as fair, positive, and it actually got me MORE excited about the game. Looking forward to their full review. 

I googled "Gamergate".

Uhh... I don't dislike Kotaku because of that, whatever that is. I dislike it because I find myself disagreeing with just about everything I've seen from the site, and I find that I am clearly not part of their primary demographic. I don't harbour any strong feelings towards them or any other newssite, I just don't like them.

That's why I jokingly said it seemed like a bad sign that they liked the game. It still irks me a little, honestly, haha.

Well, yes and no. While the vast majority of it is GG nowadays, Kotaku has the nickname of Fox News of Video Game Journalism for a reason. They're sensationalists.

• Like 3

you should know better than to invoke gamergate.  it is the godwin's law for a new generation, yes?  

whatever complaints we got o' kotaku is most assured not gamergate related, but we shouldn't need make that claim.  

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If this article isn't a breach of the NDA I don't know what is...and at first glance it seems positive but it isn't really, note the cramped area remarks etc :/

That's actually a very good point. I'd forgotten about the NDA and the pre-26th Embargo.

Well I did tell them that it was a bad idea to give one to Kotaku, but no-one ever listens...

t50aJUd.jpg

Game journalists seem obsessed by Obsidians reputation for bugginess, yet when New Vegas had almost the exact same (if not worse) bugs as Fallout 3 and Skyrim, it was Obsidian who had Russ Pitts frothing at the mouth and screaming that he was done with the developer, while Skyrim was of course best game forevah and evah. Seems a little two faced, especially when South Park and Dungeon Siege (both steady as rocks) were not praised for their lack of bugs.

I pre-ordered the NV collector's edition and played it as soon as it was out. Unlike Fallout 3 whose bugs largely revolved around the odd crash NV actually ruined my save (and hours' worth of gameplay) due to steam cloud sync issues. A similar thing happened with NWN2 (also collector's edition, actually) at the end of act 2 I think, where some quest trigger was broken and I didn't have any save going back far enough to fix it. It's probably why I never actually finished NWN 2 (the fact that the early game is pretty terrible also wasn't much of an incentive to start over). As far as I'm concerned their reputation is well earned and while I loathe game journalists and pretty much never read their drivel they are right to comment on the issue. I'm glad and remain hopeful that PoE won't suffer from any major issues.

That didn't sound too positive. Based on those impressions, it looks like they'll probably give the game a C review or whatever their equivalent score is with some of the cons being confusing combat, and overly cramped encounters.

Kotaku reviews are rated this way: "Should you play this? Yes, Not Yet, or No"

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

That didn't sound too positive. Based on those impressions, it looks like they'll probably give the game a C review or whatever their equivalent score is with some of the cons being confusing combat, and overly cramped encounters.

Kotaku reviews are rated this way: "Should you play this? Yes, Not Yet, or No"

And that's the only good thing about that site.

The title of the article is "We're Really Digging Pillars of Eternity" and it ends with this exchange:

Jason Schreier: I mean, I'm also daydreaming about leaving this office and going home so I can play more. Which I am going to do right now.

Kirk Hamilton: Nice, and I'll do the same. Let's maybe re-convene when we've gotten farther into it? And in the meantime, I'm sure I'll be texting you for tips.

Seems pretty positive to me.

Have they even bothered to read the manual that comes with the game? They seem to not understand that there's a friggen Cyclopedia that explains the game mechanics to them, yet none of them even mentioned it.

*facepalm*  :banghead:

You don't even know if the review copies have a printed manual. I guess it's just a digital key. And looking stuff up in a PDF is really tedious imho so I understand it...

35167v4.jpg

If this article isn't a breach of the NDA I don't know what is...and at first glance it seems positive but it isn't really, note the cramped area remarks etc :/

Yes, Rock Paper, Shotguns preview is better here. They clearly state they cannot tell us if THE GAME IS GREAT yet.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/03/23/pillars-of-eternity-the-first-half-hour/