Kotaku Raves about early Pillars Experience

Also.....what's with despising Kotaku?  What am I missing?

They hate America.

doesn't kotaku have an asian slant?  is americans who is fans o' japanese games and entertainment who created the site, yes?  at least that is what we assume from the name o' the site and our brief and indifferent perusal o' their content.  articles is as likely to be about japanese tv commercials and the latest bizarre japanese pizza hut menu items as they is 'bout games.  the thing is, we believe they do a better job with the culture stuff than they does with games.  after all, their game reviews is having same draw as their culture drops.  kotaku, rather than saying anything that would interest Gromnir, tends to focus on surface appeals to quirkiness or what the anime-watching crowd might think is kewl. 

there is definite worse sites for game previews and reviews, but even so, we would prefer to french kiss an electrical outlet than spend 10 minutes at the kotaku site reading their game content.  am not their target audience.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 4

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If this article isn't a breach of the NDA I don't know what is...and at first glance it seems positive but it isn't really, note the cramped area remarks etc :/

The Kotaku writers didn't even read the manaul nor the Cyclopedia it seems. It also seems that they're unaware of forming custom formations. Custom formations are amazing when you go into a dungeon as it helps greatly with positioning through the corridors.

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

If this article isn't a breach of the NDA I don't know what is...and at first glance it seems positive but it isn't really, note the cramped area remarks etc :/

That curious, I didn't even consider that.

I'm too scared of spoilers to go to the article itself, but it does indeed seem rather sketchy.

I suppose they can frame it as "commentary" and as long as they don't discuss anything beyond act 1, I think they are covered legally.

Have they even bothered to read the manual that comes with the game? They seem to not understand that there's a friggen Cyclopedia that explains the game mechanics to them, yet none of them even mentioned it.

*facepalm*  :banghead:

Game reviewers are not generally known for being observant or insightful.

It's been almost a decade since I've seen or read a good 'professional' review of a game. And I mean good as in the quality of the review, not the quality of the game.

Most reviewers are as objective and insightful as the magazine Consumer Reports is.

Edited by Valsuelm

If you read the whole article it is overall very positive... its not 100% positive and some issues they have but that is how most first impressions go. Once again I am not acting like Kotaku (or any site) is the holly grail of opinions, just that its nice to see a big huge gaming site having positive things to say and bringing some new interested gamers to Pillars (I have already seen on other forums this article made a handful of people preorder, so its doing some good).

After Alpha Protocol reviews and New Vegas getting 84% instead of 85% and them not getting there bonus happened, its just nice to see some positivity coming Obsidian's way in the mainstream gaming press!

Edited by kozzy
  • Like 1

I wonder how the Total Biscuit "WTF" video will be handled. Hopefully he reads the Cyclopedia at least.

This will be interesting, I bet Angry Joe will love it, as for Total Biscuit hard to say, hes not the biggest rpg fan it seems.

Edited by kozzy

Game journalists seem obsessed by Obsidians reputation for bugginess, yet when New Vegas had almost the exact same (if not worse) bugs as Fallout 3 and Skyrim, it was Obsidian who had Russ Pitts frothing at the mouth and screaming that he was done with the developer, while Skyrim was of course best game forevah and evah. Seems a little two faced, especially when South Park and Dungeon Siege (both steady as rocks) were not praised for their lack of bugs.

• Like 9

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I wonder how the Total Biscuit "WTF" video will be handled. Hopefully he reads the Cyclopedia at least.

He will not do one probably, as he will do advertisement stream for GOG.com as part of sponsor deal with his SCII team and  GOG.com, he usually don't do WTFs for games which he do sponsored deals.

Game journalists seem obsessed by Obsidians reputation for bugginess, yet when New Vegas had almost the exact same (if not worse) bugs as Fallout 3 and Skyrim, it was Obsidian who had Russ Pitts frothing at the mouth and screaming that he was done with the developer, while Skyrim was of course best game forevah and evah. Seems a little two faced, especially when South Park and Dungeon Siege (both steady as rocks) were not praised for their lack of bugs.

This is one thing I never understood at all. Bethesda games get praised and rarely mentioned for bugs, yet Obsidian has got slammed in the past, while Bethesda just gets away with it lol. I had 1 crash in my first playthrough of Fallout New Vegas, while having 5 in Fallout 3.

I had some issues in NWN2, New Vegas had some quest bugs,etc.. but in all honesty I have yet to have any gamebreaking bugs where I can't go ahead or it messes up my whole game with Obsidian. I heard some people having non stop crashes with Alpha Protocol, only issue I had in that game was some ai bugs and one spot where the fps would dip down, no crashes though in two playthrough's. Then as you said, South Park and DS3, the least buggy of Obsidian's games that I have played and yet there is little to no mention about this with reviewers.

I have loved some of Bethesda's games in the past (daggerfall and Morrowind the most), but imo they have had just as buggy games as Obsidian if not more buggy from my personal experience.

Edited by kozzy
  • Like 1

never played it, but we did see frequent complaints about south park bugginess at release.  it were one o' the only things we do recall from reviews o' a game we had no intention o' playing.  we like south park (most o' the time) but a sp game didn't grab us.  regardless, we do recall bugs being mentioned. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The most buggiest game I've played was Battlefield 4 on PS4. Holy ****, game doesn't even COMPARE to the bugginess you discover in Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Game was unplayable and broken Day 1 and has been for way too long.

• Like 2

Calibrating...

The most buggiest game I've played was Battlefield 4 on PS4. Holy ****, game doesn't even COMPARE to the bugginess you discover in Skyrim, Fallout, etc. Game was unplayable and broken Day 1 and has been for way too long.

Was bad release on PC to, every other match it would have a server caused crash for me and my friends it was annoying as hell!

never played it, but we did see frequent complaints about south park bugginess at release.  it were one o' the only things we do recall from reviews o' a game we had no intention o' playing.  we like south park (most o' the time) but a sp game didn't grab us.  regardless, we do recall bugs being mentioned. 

HA! Good Fun!

I had one bug when invading the tree house castle at the end of the game, which necessitated a quick load, other than that it was stable as a rock. I was unaware of any egregious issues, several friends commented on its stability, the game being somewhat of a water cooler topic at work. But obviously my personal experience does not trump documented issues, though due to the press' obsession with Obsidian bugginess i'm somewhat dubious.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Tried Empire:Total War upon release. I barely survived the experience. That's like the next level kind of unfinished / buggy state. Obsidian ain't there yet, they're amateurs compared to that. 

- How can I live my life if I can't even tell good from evil?

- Eh, they're both fine choices. Whatever floats your boat. 

Not sure what they were talking about. I played it release day and didn't hit a single bug that I can remember. Might have been some problem exclusive to consoles.

• Like 2

Not sure what they were talking about. I played it release day and didn't hit a single bug that I can remember. Might have been some problem exclusive to consoles.

There was a handful of reviews that said they had issues, but most where positive and didn't mention bugs.

Edited by kozzy

in a vain attempt to keep kinda on-topic...

http://kotaku.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-the-kotaku-review-1535203089#

had never read the review. we typed "bugs south park kotaku" into google.

HA! Good Fun!

in a vain attempt to keep kinda on-topic...

http://kotaku.com/south-park-the-stick-of-truth-the-kotaku-review-1535203089#

had never read the review. we typed "bugs south park kotaku" into google.

HA! Good Fun!

This was one of the ones that I remember seeing, was quite different than most the other reviews as far as the bugs comment

Tried Empire:Total War upon release. I barely survived the experience. That's like the next level kind of unfinished / buggy state. Obsidian ain't there yet, they're amateurs compared to that. 

Diablo 3 on release was just as bad. Also, from what I read MCC (Master Chief Collection) is also incredibly unfinished. 

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Wow Kotaku is ones again posting about a game without more knowlege about the 'game' and at least reading an in dept gamepedia that available...wait for it...TO EVERYONE!!!

It's like they're bad at their jobs or something. But that can't be right: these are professional video game journalists!

• Like 2

"The Courier was the worst of all of them. The worst by far. When he died the first time, he must have met the devil, and then killed him."

Is your mom hot? It may explain why guys were following her ?

Hmm, I don't understand the hate towards Kotaku, personally. Them and Rock, Paper, Shotgun are frequent reads of mine. Personally, I thought this was a great read, came off as fair, positive, and it actually got me MORE excited about the game. Looking forward to their full review.