Heya!

First and foremost I would like to thank Obsidian for this amazing game you made. I have been waiting for a game like this to be released since the times of bg series and iwd series! If I had the money I would have bought the most expensive edition, instead of  the hero version, just to support your company so you can continue your fantastic work! :D

Having said that I have a question to make about something that I don't understand regarding the new system requirements!

I pre ordered this wonderful game a few weeks ago, and according to game debate test my pc was very very slightly behind the recommended requirements (cpu under 15% and gpu 5% or vice versa). Last week the system requirements changed drastically, so now when I compare my laptop with the requirements it says that my cpu and gpu are roughly  under 55% the minimum requirements and both around under 200% the recommended requirements. 

My question is how could the system requirements have changed so drastically? I tried a beta demo last night, 480, and the game ran fine. How can this be if according to the new system requirements my laptop is way way under minimum requirements?

I have an intel core 2 quad Q9000 2.0GHz, nvidia 9800M GTS SLI and 8GB RAM (the laptop is a qosmio x300-156). 

Edited by IrithylStarym

If this is the case I'd say Obsidian officially **** themselves. How's that for customer treatment? Selling a game to customers before launch then changing the system requirements. Anybody that is now below minimum requirements deserves a refund and an official apology.

I thought better of you Obsidian! Really what you gonna do about this? 

• Like 1

Ok. You buy a car. Upon delivery it can't run because they choose to tweak it after you purchased it and you're supposed to accept that? 

Why not just say; Sorry it wasn't actually a game at all but a animated video? 

You think it's fair to lure customers in that way? 

Edit: I got no problem personally with the requirements but I sure find it hard to accept other people being treated that way. 

Edited by Terodemmah

What I am afraid is that the game will be very different from the 480 beta demo build. Because even though my pc is way below the new minimum, it behaves in that beta build according to the "old" system requirements, in which it was around recommended. Which means that it runs quite smoothly with really good graphics in that beta.

• Like 1

If anything, the release build will run smoother than the beta because of the CPU and GPU optimizations.

Also, this game won't really benefit from more than 2 CPU cores unless this was surreptitiously changed very recently (which I doubt).

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

When I saw the minimum requirements before they changed I was all in for buying the game at launch, but now that they have changed I am very reluctant to spend $50.  System requirements were in flux for the game anyhow, but, yeah, such a drastic change is a bit worrisome.

I personally believe game developers should make demos for their games so customers that are reluctant to buy their game, whether because they are unsure their system can run game or whether that game is right for them.  The demo need not be long; enough to showcase the game and enough for a potential customer to gauge if purchase is worthy.  This might work for PoE.  If any demo does come it will be long after release.

It might be wise to wait a week or so after the game is released and see community reactions to system requirements and performance before making the purchase.

Any Dev could please answer this VERY IMPORTANT question for us? I baked Poe long ago, the kickstarter project said that old computers could handle this game, i own a core 2 duo E 6850 @ 3Ghrz, 4 Gb Ram, Geforce GTX 650, vista 64 bit. The owner manual says i can move the game, the faq says i cant... ;(  ;(  :banghead:  :banghead:

Edited by Orktega
  • Like 1

Also the game is only taking around 6GB in my hard drive, will it download more tomorrow?

Steam preload isn't the same as installed ... it still has to uncompress/fully install the downloaded file, which occurs on release day.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Also the game is only taking around 6GB in my hard drive, will it download more tomorrow?

Steam preload isn't the same as installed ... it still has to uncompress/fully install the downloaded file, which occurs on release day.

that wont really require internet at that moment will it because it took me almost the whole day just to download 6 gigs :(

that wont really require internet at that moment will it because it took me almost the whole day just to download 6 gigs sad.png

The install part, no. It may want to briefly connect to Steam to do a verify-check, but that should be it ... unless there's a Day1 patch or something.

Preload is (my understanding) a download of compressed/encrypted files/installer. It just has a date-lock on it or whatnot so it can't actually install the game until the release date and you tell it to install.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

First off I'd like to apologize for using foul language. I got mad! 

But Obsidian needs to address this issue pronto. Some people preordered this game after having checked the minimum requirements. Now there might be a chance that their computers can't run the game. I can't speak for the legality of such practice but it isn't acceptable in my book to do a "bait-and-switch" like that. 

This is a serious issue and I hope Obsidian will address this or it could potientially damage their reputation among the gaming community. That's my two cents.

• Like 1

Do devs even visit this subforum much? Since this topic is related to the marketing of the game and backers, maybe someone can repost to the general forum that everyone visits.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

@Ieo

Well, the 'Dual Core Support?' thread got moved here from the general discussion forum, so I doubt that would serve any purpose. I also saw a green name browsing that particular thread earlier, so..

Pure speculation, but maybe they're prioritizing getting everyone their keys and whatever other things devs do a couple of hours before release? Idk  :unsure:

• Like 1

This statement is false.

Well damn I really hope I can run this at least I had a bit of a chance before :/

I'm getting a new laptop in five months anyway. But it would really suck to have to wait that long to play the game.... guess I'll find out tomorrow.  

Break beneath the endless tide - monk

What I am afraid is that the game will be very different from the 480 beta demo build. Because even though my pc is way below the new minimum, it behaves in that beta build according to the "old" system requirements, in which it was around recommended. Which means that it runs quite smoothly with really good graphics in that beta.

The system requirements did not change due to any new slowdowns in the game, etc. If it works great on the backer beta, the release won't be worse. In fact, it probably plays better due to other late optimizations that went in.

QA recommendations changed the system requirements a number of times (and frankly, are probably now a little old based on a lot of stuff we've done recently), but I think doing things like turning off anti-aliasing and lowering resolution will help a lot. I don't believe the system requirements necessarily take that into account (but to be fair, I'm not in the QA department. :)).

• Like 3

OBSIDIAN ORDER OF ETERNITY - Officially sponsored most generously by Pierre and SD!

• 2 weeks later...

Thx to Darren for answering this thread.

As I stated; I can't check this myself as I have above recommended settings. But I think that you guys at Obsidian should be cautious with selling games before release and then change minimum spec's. I sincerely hope this hasn't affected anybody (I get 170+ FPS and had to enable VSync for keeping my fans quiet) and it's something you'll take into account on further pre-releases.

Most of us live online and can make a fuzz about nothing :-

I haven't read any thread stating that a pre-release buyer couldn't run the game. But be careful with such practice. It could end up being the biggest refund-scandal on Steam if you're not totally sure (and why the heck state minimum requirements above their actual level?!?). 

Rant out.. thx again for answering Darren.