YouTuber's - Where did they get their copy? (They are playing already!)

I see a load of people playing Pillars on YouTube already.  Some of these channels are really small (less than 200 subscribers in some cases), I can't believe these small channels are getting review copies.

So - anyone know how all these people are playing Pillars of Eternity already?

Obsidian gave 1000 Steam keys to Paradox, Paradox found Youtubers with a decent following of subscribers to make more people see the game and be aware it's out soon. Work on getting a Youtube following if you want an early key for the expansion ;)

Obsidian sent out press copies to Paradox I believe, I think it was 1000 copies, and Paradox handed them out to reviewers, YouTubers and livestreamers. 

Youtubers didn't got any boxes or anything that would follow similar path. It's a digital product, not a car / lamp / chair. Paradox just generated some keys and gave them URL with a copy of the game to download (or did that through steam in which case giving a permission to the user is enough).

They only have permission to play the first 15 hours of the game.  Personally I'm staying far away as I don't want to be spoiled - I would much rather play the game myself though i understand the appeal for others.

I love that Paradox are doing this.  The community of gamers on Youtube and Steam is a massive marketing network that not enough games take full advantange of.

• Like 1

They only have permission to play the first 15 hours of the game.  Personally I'm staying far away as I don't want to be spoiled - I would much rather play the game myself though i understand the appeal for others.

I love that Paradox are doing this.  The community of gamers on Youtube and Steam is a massive marketing network that not enough games take full advantange of.

Yeah, I have been watching the first 20-30 minutes of multiple streams. I wanted to see something but not get spoiled. It looks exactly like what I expected/hoped when I pledged.

Thanks for the info.

Well that makes sense then, although it seems a bit odd that some of these YouTube people only have 200 subscribers. Quite small channels to get review copies. :)

Subs is different than followers and even that is different from viewers. If those ppl get like 3-5k viewers a session it is a good exposure.