What are you playing now?

Started a 3rd baseman in MLB The Show '15.  As if the game were not already one of the best RPG systems out there, it now comes with the ability to get gear that boosts your stats.  I'm making waves in AA right now for the Mobile BayBears.  What an odd team name.

Mobile was home to an old Southern Association League (1901-1961 not to be confused with the Southern League that was before it or the current one that came after it) team called the Bears.  From what I've read, the new team (which originally began as the AA Charlotte Knights in 1976, but moved to Tennessee when the AAA Charlotte Knights were created) wanted to honor that history but also not just try to co-opt the past team and came up with BayBears because they're located in the area of Mobile Bay.

I don't watch Baseball much anymore, but I find its history to be fascinatingly wonky.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Rather sad DFC made me run towards a suicide bomber

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Scholar of the first Sin - Dx11 version. I've played through Dark Souls 2 on the PS3 and now I am fiddleing a bit with the new PC version. So far it is not that bad. Graphic improvements compared to the PS3 version are huge. Though, I am not sure how much of that is simply due to the higher resolution that the PC brings to the table. The new enemy placements are interesting, so far. Some things make a lot more sense to me than how it was in the main game- also I think they made at least one of the first areas a little bit easier- The forest of the fallen giants with the zombies. It was pretty hard for me when I played it first, as you get attacked by a whole group of zombies at once. Now you can easily take them out one by one.

Also the Heide Knight placement is very different. They also don't drop items anymore when they die... it's a very low random chance now, as far as I can tell. To counter that, there are a truckton of them now and they respawn like all the other critters.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Also the DX11 version of Dark Souls 2. Currently playing PvP in Belfry Luna for the Bellbros. But why did the dumb down the Belfry Gargoyles fight? You can now summon a NPC in Belfry Luna which makes the fight much easier. I like the changes to Heide's Tower of Flame too.

And it was already an easy boss battle to begin with...but hey, that's a recurring theme with Dark Souls 2, now, isn't it? I beat probably 90% of the bosses on my first try. And unlike DS1, it's not hardly any more difficult on NG+ - I edited my character to immediately go to NG10 after beating the game, and made it roughly a third of the way through before I quit out of sheer boredom. Just like on NG1, the biggest difficulty of the game is not getting randomly murdered by trash enemies in retarded ways while trying to grapple with the awful controls that're somehow even worse than DS1's. That's also a common theme with DS2, in my opinion - somehow worse than DS1.

Suffice it to say, I won't be spending a cent on that joke of an upgrade.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

After playing Pillars of Eternity for an hour, all I have to say is very much like Baldur's Gate.  :bow: 

• Like 1

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Quick question about the patch.  Are all the stats bonuses that were incorrectly changed, will they change back on their own, or must you start a new game?  Haven't been able to check ingame yet?

Edited by SadExchange

Scholar of the First Sin

I can't believe I paid money for something that essentially is a patch.

Neither can I, pal. :p

Dark Souls 2 was released in 2014. DirectX 9 was released literally twelve years before that...DirectX 11 5 years. Why didn't it have DirectX 11 support to begin with? For that matter, why did the game look worse in some areas than DS1 did? Why are people paying $20 to $30 for this cash grab, this predatory practice?

I just don't get it. Maybe it's the fact that I don't much like Dark Souls 2 to begin with...but I don't usually feel the need to tell people how to spend their money. I just feel like it's an awful precedent to set and encourage. FromSoftware and Bandai should be under much greater fire for this crap.

Restarted PoE because of the new patch. Playing a Cipher now. My previous class was ranger, and I can't help but feel rangers completely suck now...but maybe I just didn't build mine right. :p

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Tried a Cipher in PoE (2 fighters, 1 cipher, 1 priest). I like them much better than the Wizard/Mage to pair up with tanks.  I just cannot for the life of me decide on a party composition that I want to get past Act1 with (I've done quite a bit in Defiance Bay but have yet to finish any Act1 main questing), whether it's a full 6 or four or three. Could be because I'm older and impatient but spellcasting feels even more micromanaged than early other games and I want as little of that as possible, but I don't want 4-6 fighter/tanks, either. :lol:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Rather sad DFC made me run towards a suicide bomber

I removed myself from the scene but got teleported.

Damn Scandinavians.

Yeah. Why not have that as a cutscene. Anyway book 2 was pretty fun, puzzles were dumb but what else is new.

Finished PE, lvl 10 party sucked though, 2 paladins are a waste I suppose.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Scholar of the First Sin

I can't believe I paid money for something that essentially is a patch.

Neither can I, pal. tongue.png

Dark Souls 2 was released in 2014. DirectX 9 was released literally twelve years before that...DirectX 11 5 years. Why didn't it have DirectX 11 support to begin with? For that matter, why did the game look worse in some areas than DS1 did? Why are people paying $20 to $30 for this cash grab, this predatory practice?

I just don't get it. Maybe it's the fact that I don't much like Dark Souls 2 to begin with...but I don't usually feel the need to tell people how to spend their money. I just feel like it's an awful precedent to set and encourage. FromSoftware and Bandai should be under much greater fire for this crap.

Restarted PoE because of the new patch. Playing a Cipher now. My previous class was ranger, and I can't help but feel rangers completely suck now...but maybe I just didn't build mine right. tongue.png

DS2 probably wasn't made by the exact same people who made DS1.

I am around 9 hours in now and approx lvl 55 again. What I can say so far is: The Scholar of the First Sin is A LOT easier than the original DS2. The streamlining some of the moshpit encounters was enough already to remove many of the death's I've got while playing. Then again, it might also help that I had around 200 hours of DS2 on PS3 already before....

What I also found out: PC version has a so called "60 fps bug" which results in items / weapons degrading much faster than normal. Felt a bit strange to me that I had to cycle between 3 weapons all the time from one fireplace to the next. I don't like it, and it looks like they won't fix this (it was already in the Dx9 version).

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Yeah they never fixed that and the overall speed issue in SOTFS. In DSII I just limited the fps to 30fps using dxtory, but in scholar it crashes when I run it. So essentially I'm stuck using the old DSII.

Just remembered that I will have to farm the eleum loyce knights again for their armor. Urgs.

• Like 1

Pillars of Eternity.  31 hours into my journey and I've been mucking about Defiance Bay for the last 10 hours or so.  Not that I mind, wandering about and, talking to people, reading lore, and just chilling in taverns and establishments of ill repute are some of my favorite things to do in RPGs.  I'm sure I've got tons of stuff to do in Defiance Bay yet.  I play super duper slow, so I'm likely not even 1/3 of the way through the game yet.  :biggrin:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Killed Frank Horrigan, watched the Enclave pass away into history, good riddance. On to Poe now, rather large boots to fill.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Kind of wish Cities Skylines had a day/night cycle or some way to see your city glitter at night, that and weather. Right now I suck all my water from a lake that must be infinite, so lack of rain crossed my mind. Still do not have the hang of traffic management though (this is the real design challenge of the game, I guess they can't shake CiM roots :p)

Holding off PoE, but am tempted to jump in. Is it reasonably stable/not buggy?

@Bartimaeus Rangers are generally considered **** tier while Ciphers check out good from what I've read.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Holding off PoE, but am tempted to jump in. Is it reasonably stable/not buggy?

I haven't had any issues/noticeable glitches...which makes me nervous about patching it (haven't done so yet). I tend to have this thing with games lately where I'll initially have none of the bugs everyone else has, until the first patch - then suddenly I have them. :lol: Then a 2nd patch fixes it again. Or something. Anyway, makes me reluctant to patch games initially.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts