Please add an option to remove the Out of Character memorials

The game is three days out. It went gold last week. Perhaps in a patch or something, but they can't do anything about it now. 

I get that you guys don't want to see things that other people paid for, but chill with the "Other People Playing With My Toys" syndrome. The easy option is to never click on a tombstone.

• Like 11

The game is three days out. It went gold last week. Perhaps in a patch or something, but they can't do anything about it now. 

I get that you guys don't want to see things that other people paid for, but chill with the "Other People Playing With My Toys" syndrome. The easy option is to never click on a tombstone.

Maybe it's not "other people, my toys" syndrome? From what I understand the descriptions and such written by the backers vary in style and type and are, of course, completely outside of the rest of the game world. That could easily break suspension of disbelief for some people, and that's something that I can understand bitching about.

• Like 2

What Bryy said.

People paid $500 for the privilege to be immortalized in a video game. I don't have to like it, but I do have to accept it. Unless Obsidian went out of their way to force us to click tombstones, it won't be that difficult to just leave well enough alone.

With that said, let's hope they put reasonable limitations on the backer inns. 

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

To clarify a bit, it's an isometric game set in an industrial-era world with magic where you need to click on people's portraits to use them and press the space bar to pause combat.

A tombstone that reads "Here lies l33t h4xx0r, he hacked too much time" is where you draw the line?

• Like 5

To clarify a bit, it's an isometric game set in an industrial-era world with magic where you need to click on people's portraits to use them and press the space bar to pause combat.

A tombstone that reads "Here lies l33t h4xx0r, he hacked too much time" is where you draw the line?

Internal consistency helps to create a believable world that helps with the suspension of disbelief. Anything that is jarringly outside of that can easily break immersion.

• Like 8

Yes exactly.  You win strawman argument of the year award, and worst analogy ever award as well.  I've said what I need to say.  My feedback is for Obsidian, not you.  I'll wait til somebody mods this garbage out of the game.

Won't be responding in this thread after this.

• Like 3

You're making a rational argument to an emotional issue. 

I don't think you know what a strawman is. 

• Like 1

I don't think you know what a strawman is. 

My point has nothing to do with being a strawman or not (it wasn't a stawman btw). I was agreeing that you make a fair point. But its a logical argument. This is a game that revolves a lot around "feels." You can logic all day long but it's not going to get you anywhere when it comes to how someone "feels." Immersion is a very "feely" thing, not a logical thing. 

Edited by Bazy

The thing is... I don't want other people playing with my toys. I do not see why this is unreasonable. If you want to name your character L337 H4xX0r and just play the game for the combat encounters, that's fine. That's one way to play the game. It's perfectly valid. But why would the fact that you play the game that way and the fact that breaking immersion does not affect you have any bearing on my wish to immerse myself in the game world?

It wouldn't, of course.

As has been said, we realize that people have paid for this, but it was a fundamentally terrible idea to hand this option out as a backer reward to begin with. A lot of us really hate the immersion-breaking NPC:s standing around everywhere with ridiculous names, and the silly tombstones. Hell, no, actually, I like silly tombstones. I'm fine with silly tombstones. Silly tombstones is a staple of the genre.

What I hate is immesion-breakng tombstones. There's a pretty big difference between a tombstone that isn't utterly unreasonable in-universe, with a small quib about how someone died, or the fact that Sir Trout is now resting with the fishes or whatever. Because while silly, they're not unreasonable. It could be a thing in-universe that tombstones range from depressing to hilarious, or that there are deliciously ironic deaths all 'round.

But some stuff in PoE, practically everything centred around backers, isn't just silly, it's flamboyantly breaking the 4th wall. And seriously, **** that ****, it ruins the integrity of the setting, breaks the suspension of disbelief, and comes across as incredibly jarring.

Let the backers have their toys and let the ones that don't mind or doesn't care keep it, but the game and the experience should come first, which is why all of that should be optional.

• Like 6

t50aJUd.jpg

I fully intend to see if there's a way to mod them out. Being someone who backed enough for a memorial stone, I found that it was immersion breaking and basically said "No" to the stone. So don't expect any grand stones with my lymric "Thanks for the offer to have a memorial stone, but I must decline."

In retrospect that may have been a funny tombstone... oh well.

• Like 10

I fully intend to see if there's a way to mod them out. Being someone who backed enough for a memorial stone, I found that it was immersion breaking and basically said "No" to the stone. So don't expect any grand stones with my lymric "Thanks for the offer to have a memorial stone, but I must decline."

In retrospect that may have been a funny tombstone... oh well.

If any tombstones should be left untouched (honestly, a lot of them probably can be) that is definitely one of them. :lol:

t50aJUd.jpg

You could...not click the tombstones... do you really need a mod for that?  Is your self-control so weak that any clickable object MUST be clicked? 

If this is the thing people are complaining about, Obsidian did a good job.

Except.. you don't know about it until you press them. And the NPC:s are a bit hard to avoid, they're standing out in the open.

t50aJUd.jpg

You could...not click the tombstones... do you really need a mod for that?  Is your self-control so weak that any clickable object MUST be clicked? 

So backer memorials are the only "tombstone" content?  If so, I can indeed refrain from clicking, but if they're also used for lore/quest info, that's not an attractive choice.

• Like 1

No, see, that isn't how logic works.  Individual people complain about individual things they don't like.  That doesn't mean that there are no other problems (there is no causal relationship or correlation).  See any number of threads on kiting, engagement, armor, melee wizards, rangers, attributes, godlike, druids (being OP), non-specialized builds being bad, the boatloads of crappy talents, relative sound volumes and voice quality (which may be fixed already), and on and on. 

Edited by Voss
  • Like 1

How else could we reasonably discuss this?

We could mock people for buying a memorial to themselves in a video game?  :dancing:

I kid, I kid.

• Like 1

We could mock people for buying a memorial to themselves in a video game?  :dancing:

I kid, I kid.

We could also mock folks that want a free choice RPG that restricts their free choice not to view in-game credits to those that actually funded the game they want to play.

:fdevil:

I can understand why people don't want to see/read them. Are the backer-tombstones at least different looking, or set apart in certain areas, or anything like that? That would at least  help so people didn't have to click them (that they were easily recognizable). Dunno tho...if they're all mixed in with other lore tombstones etc. that'd be more problematic. At any rate, as someone else said, whatever was done, too late to change anything at the moment.

I can't even recall what I put on my survey thingie re: that. I avoided it for a long time then finally felt like I had to turn it in, so it's probably some brief quote I liked from something. Not even sure if I submitted it in time, and doesn't matter to me if not. >.>

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I caught a brief glimpse of what I can only assume were the backer tombstones last night. They were large, obelisk-like stones that had dozens of attached epitaphs on each one (a separate window popped up and you could scroll through the list, click on one, and read it). Assuming that they are all like this, we at least know what not to click on if we want to avoid seeing them.

Also, there were a ton of smaller regular-sized tombstones around them. Have to assume that if there was something game/lore related, it would be on one of these. 

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."