These streamers are comically bad

I wonder if there is a tutorial popup about things like engagement etc.?

I think this game has something even better than that. The "enable developer commentary" option in the gameplay menu screen.

I've been avoiding these LP streams, so I have no idea if these streamers are actually using it in their games, but I'm assuming that this is what it's there for. To teach the uninitiated. But I could be wrong.

They should be taught as we were taught. Through dying. And then dying again. Through blood and sacrifice, we have become god.

OR annoying pop up that comes back each fight until clicked on "dont show me this again ever".

Those people do not deserve the FUN that is engagement system, anyway!*

*Personally, I could be even semi-fine with it as long as disengage attacks came with a large malus to accuracy, making them a possibility, not an instant LOL punishment die die die for having fun the way JES did not intend it to.

Stop guys, stop it, stop having fun you guys, you're playing it wrong, these are my toys, you're playing it wrong guise stop it no fun allowed stop it I said stop it THIS PLAYDATE IS OVER I'M TAKING ALL THE BALLS AND I'M GOING HOME YOU'RE ALL DEAD BECAUSE YOU TOUCHED THE LAVA AND I'M GOING TO CALL MY MOM NE NE NE NE NEE NEE

^Or if they just did normal hit damage.

If Engagement wouldn't be ridiculously overpowered, the point of Engagement would disappear, and if that point disappears, we have to ask ourselves why there's even Engagement at all, and those are questions Sawyer does not want to ask himself.

uTwYDXo.png

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg

To be fair, the disengagement thing is very unintuitive and will have plenty of new players completely baffled as to what is going on.

Again

1. These people got early copies

2. They have had these copies for days

3. These are "professional" streamers/reviewers

4. They tend to be fans of the IE games and should be familar with basic mechanics and the ability to adapt to new ones

5. They are showing off how to play the game

I hold them to a much higher standard than some new guy who is playing his first 5 minutes. 

Also, I find engagement to be very intuitive. When Josh announced it I thought it made perfect sense. This mechanic also exists in other games. 

Points 3 and 4 are false to some degree. I saw streamers who played so badly that I don't even think they know 

what IE games are and secondly I refer to what I said earlier, streamers with about 30 followers.

Some of those streamers are also too young to have played the IE games aren't they?  (Unless they played them in recent years).

To be fair, the disengagement thing is very unintuitive and will have plenty of new players completely baffled as to what is going on.

Again

4. They tend to be fans of the IE games and should be familar with basic mechanics and the ability to adapt to new ones

I hold them to a much higher standard than some new guy who is playing his first 5 minutes. 

Also, I find engagement to be very intuitive. When Josh announced it I thought it made perfect sense. This mechanic also exists in other games. 

Points 3 and 4 are false to some degree. I saw streamers who played so badly that I don't even think they know 

what IE games are and secondly I refer to what I said earlier, streamers with about 30 followers.

Some of those streamers are also too young to have played the IE games aren't they?  (Unless they played them in recent years).

I can't speak for the streamers but plenty of people have played the IE games since their release. I was 6 when Baldur's gate came out so I didn't play it until much later. Same with the other IE games as well.

• Like 2

Again

I can't speak for the streamers but plenty of people have played the IE games since their release. I was 6 when Baldur's gate came out so I didn't play it until much later. Same with the other IE games as well.

Then there is me, having only completed Icewind dale 2 and Baldur's gate... Enhanced Edition. I haven't gotten to play BG2 yet.

Edited by PromisedPain

Wizard was locked in engagement. So the guy attempts to kite his wizard away... suffering disengagement attack after disengagement attack. The more damage he took the more he yelled at the wizard to get away...

angry_german_kid_7770.jpg

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

If I hear Dyrwood pronounced Drywoood one more time i'm going to...tut and roll my eyes. Is basic literacy too much to ask for?

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

If I hear Dyrwood pronounced Drywoood one more time i'm going to...tut and roll my eyes. Is basic literacy too much to ask for?

When the purpose in question is doing half dozen different things, and reading the text is not part of the focal point? Yeah, it is. But I honestly blame the devs for this one, it is a basic trap of fantasy- if you want your people/place names to not be mangled, don't make them too weird, too similar to real words or with too many vowels (or apostrophes).

And don't expect people to use the language in your head as a pronunciation guide. They can't read your mind, and likely don't think like you.

At the risk of repeating myself, there's only one appropriate way to mispronounce "Dyrwood":

bewitched-sam-darrin-endora.jpg

• Like 3

At the risk of repeating myself, there's only one appropriate way to mispronounce "Dyrwood":

bewitched-sam-darrin-endora.jpg

Showing ones age but I must admit that this did crack me up, then again one has rather fond memories of Elisabeth Montgomery.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I dropped in on a couple of streams last night. WolfsGoRawr was okay but when you see someone walking into a big red circle after TRAP DETECTED appears over it you have to wonder.

The rest have been somewhere between incompetently endearing and totally ****ing useless, the latter in no way a good way to help sell a game.

He kept complaining how things where different from his WoW experience though, which made me wonder what the hell he was doing playing PoE.

As someone who occasionally enjoys watching a handful of people play games, I have to say that I've stumbled across one chronically agonising realisation: many people who stream themselves playing games rarely know what they're doing or, at least, often make patently stupid mistakes and miss blatantly obvious things.

Often it's the "younger" streamers. So much so that I've begun to suspect it's a kind of modern gaming "spoon feeding" syndrome--that they struggle to think for themselves.

It frustrates me to no end. Ordinarily I give it a few minutes before closing a stream and moving on to something more constructive...

I also wonder if it isn't perhaps their "gimmick" -- an act to make their audience feel more involved somehow... /shrug

But yeah... Many of them are really just bleugh...