Actually I'd really enjoy some brutal kill animations. I find them very capable of making turn based (or RTwP) games feel a lot more visceral and satisfying. I can still remember my thrill when playing Fallout Tactics for the first time. Oh, the reaper. And the combat shotgun.

[...]

You can say that again. Bisecting Super Mutants have never been so much fun. On the topic, I must say I also loved the kill animations of Dragon Age: Origins. It could be annoying at times, yes, and it sometimes interfered with combat, sure, but it had some really nice sequences. Or headshots with a high-caliber weapon in Jagged Alliance 2, melon explosion.

I think that violence for the sake of violence and excessive blood is silly, and I think that the gibbing in the IE games and PoE is stupid (I turn it off), but visceral, brutal kill animations, as long as it doesn't happen all the freaking time, or if there's at least enough of them so you don't get instantly bored, can be real "Aww yiiiiiis" moments as well as "Oh god I think I just threw up a little in my mouth".

I'm still waiting for a CRPG capable of giving me that proper "cut someone up along the abdomen and watch their entrails fall out as they try to collect them"-experience. I want to have the game capable of making me feel like a horrible human being and make me question what I just decided to do to these poor thieves that never really stood a chance, because I'm wearing plot armour and have quicksaves.

I think I like death animations better when they convince me they are NOT scripted, even if we know they actually are. So the trick is, the destruction has to be not only compatible with the type and energy of the hit but also the direction - something not done right in a lot of games (or mods, like the skyrim gore mod, forgot the name, where people are not cut in the direction the blade was traveling).

Considering what I saw so far, I think Witcher 3 will have some pretty neat death animations and physics.

About DA:O, and talking ONLY about the kill animations (not the excessive amount of blood everywhere), I liked it too. But I'd really prefer to have quicker kills without the perceived loss of control over the characters - something that can be very annoying and frustrating.

• Like 1

Actually I'd really enjoy some brutal kill animations. I find them very capable of making turn based (or RTwP) games feel a lot more visceral and satisfying. I can still remember my thrill when playing Fallout Tactics for the first time. Oh, the reaper. And the combat shotgun.

[...]

You can say that again. Bisecting Super Mutants have never been so much fun. On the topic, I must say I also loved the kill animations of Dragon Age: Origins. It could be annoying at times, yes, and it sometimes interfered with combat, sure, but it had some really nice sequences. Or headshots with a high-caliber weapon in Jagged Alliance 2, melon explosion.

I think that violence for the sake of violence and excessive blood is silly, and I think that the gibbing in the IE games and PoE is stupid (I turn it off), but visceral, brutal kill animations, as long as it doesn't happen all the freaking time, or if there's at least enough of them so you don't get instantly bored, can be real "Aww yiiiiiis" moments as well as "Oh god I think I just threw up a little in my mouth".

I'm still waiting for a CRPG capable of giving me that proper "cut someone up along the abdomen and watch their entrails fall out as they try to collect them"-experience. I want to have the game capable of making me feel like a horrible human being and make me question what I just decided to do to these poor thieves that never really stood a chance, because I'm wearing plot armour and have quicksaves.

I think I like death animations better when they convince me they are NOT scripted, even if we know they actually are. So the trick is, the destruction has to be not only compatible with the type and energy of the hit but also the direction - something not done right in a lot of games (or mods, like the skyrim gore mod, forgot the name, where people are not cut in the direction the blade was traveling).

Considering what I saw so far, I think Witcher 3 will have some pretty neat death animations and physics.

About DA:O, and talking ONLY about the kill animations (not the excessive amount of blood everywhere), I liked it too. But I'd really prefer to have quicker kills without the perceived loss of control over the characters - something that can be very annoying and frustrating.

Agree completely. The specific animation from DA:O I have in my head is a quick thrust of the sword and then pushing the enemy off with the shield. It's quick, violent and realistic(-ish). The long-time obviously scripted motions get tiresome in the long run, but those small natural actions are great.

t50aJUd.jpg

Agree completely. The specific animation from DA:O I have in my head is a quick thrust of the sword and then pushing the enemy off with the shield. It's quick, violent and realistic(-ish). The long-time obviously scripted motions get tiresome in the long run, but those small natural actions are great.

I think long animations can work if they don't keep the character locked.

Say, if you backstab an enemy and quickly your character release the wounded enemy, but he rolls and try to stop the jugular bleeding with his hands before collapsing by himself, it can be pretty good.

About trust and shield bash moves, yeah, I remember that one. It can also be made with a kick instead of shield in case of 2handers, a single one hander, etc. Pretty cool animation.

Also, conditional "fatalities" would be great and rewarding. Say, if you finish a prone enemy with a character using a shield bearer, he could smash the downed enemy head with the border of his shield, etc.

Even if I do want realistic mutilation in some cases, really don't want them to go overboard here - I want it to feel grisly, not a gorefest. I want the same effect that tree full of hanged people had, a world full of dread, not a sadistic wet dream....