Sorry if this is old hat to anyone, and if so, I appreciate your taking the time to answer. 

I know there is no classical D&D style morality system (at least I think I know this). I also know that the dialogue options offer a variety of various approaches to roleplaying your character. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are options to roleplay your character as "evil" (I assume there are plenty of options to play them as the classical hero type). By evil, I mean (hopefully) something a little more sophisticated than the BGII Gromnir "Murder everyone, good fun!" style of evil - e.g., a ruthless, power-hungry type, willing to betray people, or any of a dozen variations. 

Hoping the answer is yes, because I don't think there's really been a game that allowed you to satisfactorily roleplay a villain since PS:T, I suppose?

Sorry if this is old hat to anyone, and if so, I appreciate your taking the time to answer. 

I know there is no classical D&D style morality system (at least I think I know this). I also know that the dialogue options offer a variety of various approaches to roleplaying your character. I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are options to roleplay your character as "evil" (I assume there are plenty of options to play them as the classical hero type). By evil, I mean (hopefully) something a little more sophisticated than the BGII Gromnir "Murder everyone, good fun!" style of evil - e.g., a ruthless, power-hungry type, willing to betray people, or any of a dozen variations. 

Hoping the answer is yes, because I don't think there's really been a game that allowed you to satisfactorily roleplay a villain since PS:T, I suppose?

There are dialogue options for cruel responses, aggressive responses, for lying, etc. All of these things are tracked and go into how NPC's respond to you in the future.

The short answer is yes. You can choose different responses for most conversations, and they'll build up a reputation that gets tracked throughout the game to impact on how everyone else reacts to you. It's kind of an alignment system as seen in other games, but without being so black and white and allowing for more nuances and shades of grey.

Eventually, some options might only become available to you only if you fit within certain "alignment". For example you have reputation of "cruel", some NPCs might choose to not speak to you at all, or attack you, while others might feel attracted and intrigued by it.

Edited by Emerwyn

There are dialogue options for cruel responses, aggressive responses, for lying, etc. All of these things are tracked and go into how NPC's respond to you in the future.

That sounds pretty good; so you could make a cruel character who isn't necessarily "evil", or an aggressive, violent, but honest character. 

• Like 1

Seems pretty unknown at this point.

There is a difference between cruel or aggressive dialogue and actually being able to betray a happy little village to the bandits outside of town, actually sell someone off into slavery rather than just threatening to kick them around, and so on.   And I think the line needs to be crossed into actually doing things rather than snippy little dialogue options for it to mean anything at all.

Then again, I'm completely unspoiled when it comes to story things, and will happily remain so.

Edited by Voss

That sounds pretty good; so you could make a cruel character who isn't necessarily "evil", or an aggressive, violent, but honest character. 

I believe so. I plan on playing a character who is polite, courteous, friendly, and also a viciously, brutally pragmatic murderer. :)

I hope that there is an alternative way of solving some of the quests in an evil way. Since you don't

get experience by killing monsters like in the IE games. Otherwise it would penalize you for

not doing all the quests and helping all the people. 

"He who fights trolls should see to it that he himself brings fire or acid" - Me

Considering Avellone was involved in this game I have no doubt there will be several really messed up things you can do. He probably snuck into the offices at night to sneak more in.

I'll bet they will actually be way more messed up than normal. Judging from the dialogue options I've seen in a stream, this **** seems pretty hardcore.

Seems pretty unknown at this point.

There is a difference between cruel or aggressive dialogue and actually being able to betray a happy little village to the bandits outside of town, actually sell someone off into slavery rather than just threatening to kick them around, and so on.   And I think the line needs to be crossed into actually doing things rather than snippy little dialogue options for it to mean anything at all.

Then again, I'm completely unspoiled when it comes to story things, and will happily remain so.

It was possible to do some pretty unsavory stuff in the Blood Legacy quest at least.

Also, re "since PS:T," Mask of the Betrayer. Hands-down best "evil" path since, well, PS:T. After all these years I still feel dirty for actually having played it, and even I didn't have the heart to murder all my companions for my own aggrandizement.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com