Grateful for the backers and the hype train

I'm a new poster, but I've been lurking for a long time. Like all games, when closing in on release, the negativity begins to pop up on forums. Posts like, "Why is it so much" and "What's so great about this game". I just wanted to take a moment to get personal and throw a little something positive down.

I'm grateful for the backers, first and foremost. I couldn't be a part of the campaign, something I'm still sore about. But to those that went into their pockets and made this game happen for the gaming community, thank you. There was a time when I truly believed I'd never see another game like this, so it means a lot.

I'm also grateful for these forums. For the most part, they've kept the hype alive. I have loved coming through here the last few months and just reading the words of people that are as excited about the game as I am. I finally signed up today because I couldn't resist staying out of the conversation any longer.

That's it really. I'm looking forward to the release and reading everyone's thoughts. I'll be able to pick the game up in May, so I'm hoping to soak up whatever knowledge and tips I can before then. 

That's all, thanks for listening.

Edited by thejonvincent
  • Like 15

I'm mostly grateful for Obsidian, seriously. Without them there wouldn't have been the option of just giving some money to this cause in the first place. I also never thought to see such a game again. It's also very rare that there is such a developer who happens to have the same taste in games I do.

That's also why I like KS and have backed about 10 games there (I haven't been disappointed yet - loved e.g. Wasteland 2). Although someone else does all the work, you still feel connected to the whole process. Despite everything it's a very different experience than just buying a game after release. I never look forward to other (good) games in the same way I do when I backed something. This is what makes it all worth it.

I can't believe that years of waiting are almost over.

I'm mostly grateful for Obsidian, seriously. Without them there wouldn't have been the option of just giving some money to this cause in the first place. I also never thought to see such a game again. It's also very rare that there is such a developer who happens to have the same taste in games I do.

That's also why I like KS and have backed about 10 games there (I haven't been disappointed yet - loved e.g. Wasteland 2). Although someone else does all the work, you still feel connected to the whole process. Despite everything it's a very different experience than just buying a game after release. I never look forward to other (good) games in the same way I do when I backed something. This is what makes it all worth it.

I can't believe that years of waiting are almost over.

Oh, absolutely, Obsidian has made some of my favorite games. Ditto on Wasteland 2, it's going to be keeping me company until I can pick up PoE later this year, I'll probably play through Divinity again too. I'm looking forward to seeing this finished product, I've watched a few of the Let's Play vids today and it looks excellent. I love Wasteland but it had some pretty large bugs. So far there haven't been complaints about that, granted, it's still early, but I'm hopeful, especially since Obsidian took some extra time to polish it up.

Maybe we should initiate a counter-information campaign on the Steam forums then, posting topics such as these over there, to drown out all the haters who are sore because of no PC romance in the game. ;)

• Like 3

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Thanks for thanking me. As an early adopter, muse and all-round beacon of inspiration to the developers, I agree I am awesome. I've been quiet recently, recharging my Awe Silo, but I have sacrificed a couple of goats to the Eldritch, tentacled gods of arpeegees.

I think you'll agree it wasn't in vain (even though I didn't get any experience points).

• Like 8

sonsofgygax.JPG

Welcome to the Obsidian forums! Steam forums are always hell, even if the game is loved by fans. Hell the Cities Skylines forum has been filled with silly stuff and that game is loved by the community (96% average for fans last time I looked on steam). I rarely go to the steam forums unless it is to see notes on an update or in Pillars sake, tossing some GOOD in with all the bad :)

First kickstarter I ever backed was this one! Divinity Original Sin I did to, which turned out great.

Edited by kozzy
  • Like 1

Welcome to the Obsidian forums! Steam forums are always hell, even if the game is loved by fans. Hell the Cities Skylines forum has been filled with silly stuff and that game is loved by the community (96% average for fans last time I looked on steam). I rarely go to the steam forums unless it is to see notes on an update or in Pillars sake, tossing some GOOD in with all the bad :)

First kickstarter I ever backed was this one! Divinity Original Sin I did to, which turned out great.

Thanks, I recognize your name from the Steam forums. Thanks for backing the game, I'm definitely keeping an eye out for the next great project to back (hopefully one pops up later this year, as I anticipate being able to do it at that point). This is definitely one I can't wait to play, excited for you guys, only a few more days. 

• Like 1

I am with you man. I have been lurking and waiting. I am looking forward to playing the game.  It looks great.  As far as trolls go I truly believe that some companies have trolls on their pay roles to put gams down to help sell their game.  Think negative ad campaigns by politicians.   

Well, despite coming down from Kickstarter fever, Obsidian earned the trust from me after KOTOR2, Fallout New Vegas and Deus Ex Human Revolution. The former two I found to be much improved takes on Fallout 3 and KOTOR1 and the latter was a game, I just bought when I had too much money and time on my hands - and afterwards had to conclude it was the most entertaining RPG I've played since DA:O.

I think they're building up a name as a gaming company able to make very different and yet very good RPGs - From traditional action RPGs and D&D Star Wars to South Park. Now I want to see what they can do with a top-down RPG in their own game world.