Pillars of Eternity: The Road to Eternity - Part 2 Video

Couple of my favorite memories from Obsidian are the day the Kickstarter went up and the day the Kickstarter ended. All anyone did all day when the Kickstarter was up was refresh the page. When everyone went out for beers that night it was the happiest I'd seen people since the layoffs. The day the Kickstarter ended and we did that stream was super dramatic, because people from other teams (including me) really wanted to watch the countdown and celebrate, but other people thought we should have been working. Boo!

Good times.

• Like 7

So awesome, I can't wait to be able to watch the whole thing. I honestly had no idea these guys were in serious trouble when the KS campaign was launched or I'd have pledged more. The gaming industry NEEDS Obsidian just like it NEEDS inXile, if these guys ever go under it'll be pretty much the end of video games.

1zq6793.jpg

When they were talking about how fast the kickstarter funding was increasing, I thought:

"It was love making that number go up. Love not only for IE games, but also for a lot of the games (flawed or not) Obsidian made through the years".

Also when they mentioned how the kickstarter financially saved the company, it's a weird feeling to think that, up to a certain and humble point, "we saved Obsidian".

Edited by pedroantonio
  • Like 3

Watching these videos made me super happy that by backing this game I could give good people a livelihood and the means to work on a project they were passionate about, and get a game out of it. Really brings home the human side of game development and that actual people make these games rather than just faceless companies.

Hey that damn Cool!  One thing with KickStarter, it has to be damn Annoying dealing with all the wannbe developers that not only

track you down and try and change your game but also constantly complain about what it is you are doing.

That's part of working with all the fans though and I guess you have to deal with that.

On the Positive Side KickStarter has breathed new life into your company and it looks like this franchise will

continue to be successful for you!  Time to break out the Beers again!

All The Best!

Edited by StrangeCat

I am so happy for you guys! I am so amazed through what you have been through and still managed to come out victorious! This 2 videos are great to show how people that are hard working,talented, and experienced can still get into troubles ,but through the courage, will and determination can achieve amazing things!

I hope you make great success with this game. I hope you all stay together for many years making  games that You want. I hope you make many kickstarter campaigns, not because of funding (because I hope your games sales will see you that you have money for future projects), but to allow us, old school gamers,  to again be a part of something great, something that means so much to us!

Best,

aa

• Like 1

Can't wait to watch the entire documentary. Ever since I played The Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights, I have felt like Obsidian was one of the few companies that deserved to continue making their brand of RPGs. I am really happy I backed them, and pitched in. 

Edited by Grivenger
  • Like 1

So sad I missed the kickstarter, but ecstatic about the whole crowd funding thing allowing us and the Devs to give the middle finger to the publishers and corporate suits who know nothing about games other than how much money they can bring in. The industry had started to become soooo stale with the same games coming out, sequels and just dumb downed versions of games to appeal to the most people as possible in order to make the most sales. Just round after round of the same safe games with a new number after the title or a "new IP" that rehashed 90 percent of what we already have been playing with 10% new ideas. Kickstarter and crowdfunding has allowed for the niche market games to come back which has been so great. Obviously there are some bad parts that come along with it, but if you just take the time to do a little research on a project or are an older gamer and have played some of the games from these Devs in the past its easy to know which projects to fund and which ones not to fund. Congrats to the team, looking forward to Thursday... Hell have been looking forward to Thursday for awhile. Been checking green man gaming every hour today to see if ill get my steam key for a preload. Seems I probably won't but I guess another couple hours won't kill me after 2 years of waiting. Hopefully my hardback strategy guide will arrive early on Thursday so I can just look at that while the game downloads. Congrats again, I won't miss the next kickstarter project. As 34 year old gamer, seeing the rebirth of all these CRPGs, HD side scrollers, space sims and point and click adventure games is just a dream come true in a market dominated by FPS and MMOs trying to capture what WoW did.

Edited by Zazzaro
  • Like 1

Can't wait to watch the entire documentary. Ever since I played The Sith Lords and Neverwinter Nights, I have felt like Obsidian was one of the few companies that deserved to continue making their brand of RPGs. I am really happy I backed them, and pitched in. 

They are very few legit devs these days, Obsidian is one of them. They really care about the RPG genre.

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 1

Calibrating...