Gameplay videos are here

Cluas

Quill18 has a couple of videos out, explaining combat mechanics, going through character creation, and a Let's Play of the 1st act(2 videos so far, about 50 minutes).

https://youtu.be/u96bzh-3Eyk?list=PLs3acGYgI1-s9w1D9I2VFw-E8jbIuVOub

Edited by Tartantyco

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Why is it that people suck so bad at reading? It's Aumaua. Au-mau-a. Not Amuomou or Amarauer, it's Aumaua.

Just read the ****ing letters in the words, people!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Like 8

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Quill18 has a couple of videos out, explaining combat mechanics, going through character creation, and a Let's Play of the 1st act(2 videos so far, about 50 minutes).

Great video though it has a damage bug at 23:40

Why is it that people suck so bad at reading? It's Aumaua. Au-mau-a. Not Amuomou or Amarauer, it's Aumaua.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Pronounce jalepeno for me..... I still have a hard time with the Aumaua.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

He's a programmer. You can't expect them to read. :biggrin:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

You mean jalapeno? (hal a peen yo) 

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I always seem to have trouble with "Dyrwood."

bewitched-sam-darrin-endora.jpg

• Like 1

Reviews are out already? 

The only "review" I've seen is mmrpg first impressions of which were favorable. Actual review will be out later this week.

Does this one contain any spoilers?

Same question goes for the other ones. If any brave souls can say it when a videos do not have any spoilers. 

• Like 1

This is a major spoiler, that's why I'm posting in the BB forum.

If you would like to see the game from chapter one, here it is :

https://youtu.be/0aZ1mBG4JpE

Attention: spoilers!!!

Does anyone know why in his video when he sends the two characters to a spot, sometimes they cross paths and sometimes they go straight to the spot they should. Look at how he moves them around just after he adds the second character.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

You mean jalapeno? (hal a peen yo) 

You say hal a peen yo and I say hal a pen yo?Now say Aumaua...aww maw

Edited by wolfstriked

Reviews are out already? 

The only "review" I've seen is mmrpg first impressions of which were favorable. Actual review will be out later this week.

Same question goes for the other ones. If any brave souls can say it when a videos do not have any spoilers. 

EDIT>>>>>>Sorry I never seen that video so I don't know if it does.

Edited by wolfstriked

Reviews are out already? 

Don't watch these videos if you don't want to be spoiled (Most of the links are reviewers playing the game from the start, hence loads of spoilers....)

All of the videos I have personally linked contains spoilers.... Don't know about this one, though

Edited by Cluas
  • Like 1

UFWDJRj.jpg

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

And what pronunciation are you basing 'au' on, or a trailing 'a' after a vowel?  Is it pronounced more like French?  German?  Russian?  Japanese? (do I need to go on?) These sounds may be written the same way, but they sound entirely different.  

You don't have a pronunciation guide there, just letters.  

Protip: make your bollocks fantasy names readable and pronounceable to casual and unfamiliar readers.

Edited by Voss

I'm sure we'll get transcriptions in the almanac and/or guidebook. Until that happens, this is the developer comment on the question:

How will we even know how the words are supposed to be pronounced? Unless they are verbalized in-game wont it be as always, the players will come up with whatever sounds right in their heads.

That's what I expect, but I wanted to find out how much players care about their expected pronunciation matching the "real" pronunciation (for whatever that is worth).  My assumption was that players don't really care as long as they don't stumble over the words while reading them, but it's a baseless assumption.

A fair point, I suppose. I guess I'm just a stickler for this kinda stuff. So, on the topic of conlangs:

1. How much are you focusing on making the history of the languages apparent in their design? e.g. semantic shift from cognates and re-borrowings? Will the ancient sources of languages we come across (say in ruins) be obviously different (yet related) to their modern counterparts?

2. Are there going to be any conlangs based on languages outside of the indo-european family? (I'd particularly expect this for the Orlans and the Dwarves, given their fluff thus far.)

1. Not tremendously, but a little.  Due to the number of cultures and languages, I'm not going to delve deep into each language.  Engwythan and Glanfathan are from the same part of the world and are loosely related (as Cornish and Irish are).  Eld Aedyran and Hylspeak (similar to Scots) are essentially older versions of the "common" contemporary Aedyran which is, for all practical purposes, English.  Vailian doesn't have any branched or ancestral languages represented in the game, but Dyrwoodans have appropriated some of their words (e.g. "duc").

2. The languages spoken in Ixamitl, Naasitaq (boreal dwarf-dominated), and Rauatai (northern aumaua-dominated) are all non-Indo-Euro in inspiration.  They will be developed with less depth because they aren't as commonly spoken in this part of the world and frankly, I'm much more familiar with Indo-Euro languages.

On a sidenote, I'm pretty sure I've heard Josh pronounce "au-MA-ua", but I'll have to look around for source.

Edited by Gairnulf

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png