Pillars of Eternity Beginner's Guide

"The manual says"

/facepalm

The manual is very unreliable. 

And even based on your quote doesn't explain if non-traps are discovered by higher steath, higher mechanics, or something else. 

Edited by Bazy
  • Like 1

The manual says "while in scout mode". Maybe I misunderstood. I thought sneak and scout mode was one and the same. Can I get a confirmation on how this works? My build depends on it and the game releases in like an hour.... hahaha

1. Hahaha, oh wow, "the manual".
  2. Scout Mode is not the same as the Stealth skill. You misunderstood. You have to be in Scout Mode to Stealth, and you Stealth automatically when entering Scout Mode, but to detect traps or hidden objects, you need to be in Scout Mode, whether you're stealthed or not.

t50aJUd.jpg

The manual says "while in scout mode". Maybe I misunderstood. I thought sneak and scout mode was one and the same. Can I get a confirmation on how this works? My build depends on it and the game releases in like an hour.... hahaha

It is one and the same (scout mode = stealth mode). I don't know if you actually need to have any skills/attributes to detect hidden treasures. But in order to detect traps you need mechanics. Stealth is just to not get detected in this mode.

Edited by Kordanor

"The manual says"

/facepalm

The manual is very unreliable. 

And even based on your quote doesn't explain if non-traps are discovered by higher steath, higher mechanics, or something else. 

The wiki also has it under stealth (and scout-mode). Can we get some kind of confirmation on this?

So it's not mechanics that determines hidden objects. It's stealth. Just thought I'd share.

The manual is super out of date and the wiki probably is too. Mechanics determines whether you can find secret compartments or detect traps. Not Stealth. You have to be in Scouting Mode (Stealth) to use it though.

Video proof incoming, as well. 

Edited by Sensuki

So it's not mechanics that determines hidden objects. It's stealth. Just thought I'd share.

The manual is super out of date and the wiki probably is too. Mechanics determines whether you can find secret compartments or detect traps. Not Stealth. You have to be in Scouting Mode (Stealth) to use it though.

Do you have like a link to something that explains it? Some kind of source? Not that I don't believe you, but after I had asked you this a few days ago I did tests in the BB and even with no mechanics I was able to find 3 secrets. Now I don't know if the BB rogue was using her mechanics skill to determine hidden objects, but all I can confirm is that she wasn't in the room with my main where the secret was.

Mechanics determines whether you can find secret compartments

And with that they made scouting almost completely worthless. 

They really missed an opportunity here. 

Edited by Bazy

Do you have like a link to something that explains it? Some kind of source? Not that I don't believe you, but after I had asked you this a few days ago I did tests in the BB and even with no mechanics I was able to find 3 secrets. Now I don't know if the BB rogue was using her mechanics skill to determine hidden objects, but all I can confirm is that she wasn't in the room with my main where the secret was.

Not on hand, but Josh Sawyer has posted many times that it's mechanics. I made a short video showing a character with 6 Stealth and 0 Mechanics and a character with 5 Stealth and 6 Mechanics (BB Rogue) and the BB Rogue detected the secret compartment, the other character couldn't do it.

Will upload after I upload my Druid video.

~A week ago I made some test with the secret stash at the inn's second level:

Char A: Per 10, Stealth 0, Mechanics 2 -> not detected

Char B: Per 21, Stealth 0, Mechanics 0 -> not detected

Char C: Per 10, Stealth 5, Mechanics 0 -> not detected

Char D: Per 10, Stealth 0, Mechanics 5 -> detected

Edit: Ninja'd by the video.

Edited by ushas

Yeah, just bad luck. As I explained, one of the unfortunate things about Spiritshift is it doesn't have good accuracy. I also don't think the forms are balanced very well - for instance if I had been a Bear then I would have had 10 DR and 5 Melee DR bypass. So I think lesson learned from that is Cat form is bad, don't use it.

Well, it's still the first 20 Minutes of the game...and I am actually glad for the "spoiler" as I am not sure whether I would have checked myself.

But you mentioned that the shapeshift duration is short. Isn't it modal and doesn't end? Of course you shift back once the combat is over. But otherwise it seems like you stay in it until the end of combat.

PS: The forum barely stands the load now...

Edited by Kordanor

But you mentioned that the shapeshift duration is short. Isn't it modal and doesn't end? 

It used to last the whole fight. They nerfed it pretty hard. 

Keep in mind the fights in the video are very short. 

Just for clarification on the Chanter. The level 1 Invocation that does Crush damage in an AoE cone needs a dead enemy to work. It summons 3 grubs from a corpse and they do crush. So it is good for cleanup in my experience. It does nothing if you haven't atleast killed one of the enemies.

The way chant counters build is a bit weird, IMHO. I wish you gained a counter after each Phrase, but I guess you could micromanage the character, and switch between single phrase chants to get more offensive with the chanter. As it stands, if you want to use more invocation you cannot make much use of setting multiple phrases in a chant. It is a pretty versatile class though, and that is awesome.

Just discovered your "Pirate Style" Super Ruffian vid Sensuki and that was exactly the type of thing I was looking for in my rather over lengthy question to you a few pages back about a musketeer type build, from the weapon choices to the clothing and role playing aspect.  Now I have a much clearer idea of where I want to go with my character and yes, sadly I am still working on him almost three hours after getting the game!  Luckily I had already went with an Island Aumaua so it looks like I was on the right track.  :) Time to start the actual game.  Thanks man!