Pillars of Eternity Beginner's Guide

It's not the most super creative but your take on the build for the "all the guns" Islander Aumaua Cipher would be neat, pretty sure I'll play that on release because ready for hard difficulty+who doesn't like a psychic detective.

Nothing says alpha strike like 4 Arquebuses followed by burning through your focus 

Edited by Urthor

Seems like Intellect is pretty important for any kind of "fighter" class though, even Barbs.

The combat seems heavily reliant on control, so anything that gives you advantage such as disables and knockdowns, and duration of those effects seems like the obvious choice.

Hoping that Intellect isn't the "end all be all" stat for everyone. 

It's only good if you like to use active abilities (on classes without auras or AoE spells). Some people hate doing that.

I don't think Intellect is OP. It's a good attribute. It's useful on pretty much every class except Rangers (which is the Ranger design's problem) - job well done with that attribute tbh.

Edited by Sensuki

It's only good if you like to use active abilities (on classes without auras or AoE spells). Some people hate doing that.

Indeed. Personally I don't like active abilities on my fighters and similar classes. I want them to be low maintenance so I can focus on my spell slingers.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I've managed to avoid spoiling myself on this game to keep my anticipation in check; tonight I will lull myself to sleep (or just ramp up my restlessness) watching Sensuki's Beginner's Guide videos in full (I've already rocketed around the first part and picked out some bits in the second and third parts).

These are essentially introducing me to the game in action without all the spoily bits. I'd say they sold me on the game but I only found the videos after forking over the moneys. They're more reassuring me that my faith in Obsidian was well-placed.

Plus, I'll hopefully emerge slightly more clueful on the mechanics of PoE's game system. Other than these videos and skimming the occasional "first impressions" page and whatever other threads my forum-rummaging lead me to explore, I really have managed to keep myself in the dark.

For my first bumbling playthrough I plan on trying a dwarf monk.

Thanks again for these videos!

--/\/

That's what their Shapeshift is for. You can use Druids in melee with a melee weapon as they do have a x4 Health Multiplier. They also have a spell called Beetle Shell which protects them from a lot of damage, but you wouldn't want them to continuously be the guy aggoring enemies.

Melee Cipher is the next video coming up.

That's what their Shapeshift is for. You can use Druids in melee with a melee weapon as they do have a x4 Health Multiplier. They also have a spell called Beetle Shell which protects them from a lot of damage, but you wouldn't want them to continuously be the guy aggoring enemies.

Melee Cipher is the next video coming up.

Melee Cypher? Isn't that a waste of their talents? I mean, yeah you need to have a backup weapon to bash with while your focus cools down but they should be primarily casters. There are much better classes for melee fighting than Cyphers so I don't see why someone looking for Melee specialization would choose to be a cypher.

Edited by Darth Trethon

1zq6793.jpg

Ciphers work fine as either tbh, although I prefer them with no armor and two handed weapons. Their Soul Whip can be buffed to give x1.4 damage - which is pretty good.

Video is uploading now.

• Like 1

Ciphers work fine as either tbh, although I prefer them with no armor and two handed weapons. Their Soul Whip can be buffed to give x1.4 damage - which is pretty good.

Video is uploading now.

I have been absolutely in love with Cypher lore ever since first presented as a stretch goal......to me playing them as casters is a must. A Godlike Cypher is probably going to be what I'll play for most if not all my playthroughs.

1zq6793.jpg

Thx for another video Sensuki. It is amazing to see how characters can be developed. It seems to me that there are thousands of possibilities no one ever think of, and that this game will set some new standards for other games to achieve!

10 more hours... and I have no idea what my first PC will be.

I know that the first playtrhorugh will be as Sensuki suggested on hard and I will disable all visual help and also dialog that are not available to my char. it will be like Baldur's Gate I played for the first time. That game is still mystery to me because I still do not know what is possible to get in terms of conversations, loots, quest solutions....

This will ensure high replayability and long life of PoE.

Edited by Aarionn

Hey Sensuki, appreciate all the effort you put into this. I'm feeling kinda overwhelmed by all the info over past few days and have been trying to avoid too much. I wandered if I give ya a few playstyles you can tell me where to put my points?

1) I want to probably make a monk who preferably crits a lot. Do their unarmed attacks hit as fast or as often as daggers? Also, can I wield a weapon in one hand and fight unarmed in the other & still receive unarmed bonus for that hand? Based upon this playstyle should I just play a rogue? I was thinking of just playing with clothing that I enchant.

2) will I benefit from opening fights from stealth and do any ranged weapons perform better in that opportunity?

3) do talents change based upon class or race, and are they gated behind lvl requirements?

4) which skills make me more dodgy or deflect more dmg so i can be tanky?

5) is there a cap you've noticed on how much you can benefit from an item? Such as if I wanted as high of mechanics or sneaking as possibl hypothetically just for grins, let's say all my equipment were +3 or +5 to sneaking or mechanics, does it cap off at like 4 or 10 for example?

Maybe a simpler way to ask is if I'm enchanting stuff do you know the max buff I can add for a particular buff?

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

Hey Sensuki, I just watched your beginners guide to basic game play and combat, another excellent video, thanks. But you do sound quite knackered and a bit ill, get some rest man! :p

PS. Hurry up with the most important class video; Epic city shaking, world destroying Wizard build.

I have been absolutely in love with Cypher lore ever since first presented as a stretch goal......to me playing them as casters is a must. A Godlike Cypher is probably going to be what I'll play for most if not all my playthroughs.

Video is uploading now.

Yeah, I'm going with the Cypher as my main for the first playthrough as well. Just thinking about what kind of party constellation I should have, but I'll play on Normal/Easy anyway, so everything should be okay. Though I'm interested in the possible interactions/combos between my Character and the Grieving Mother (the Cypher companion). Since Sensuki said a melee build can be considered for a Cypher, is it possible to have her skilled like that? My MC will surely be a caster.

Less than 5 hours to go.

• Like 1

If you didn't finish the recording on rogue yet - would be great if you can talk a little bit about the backstab ability and how it can be used, and whether you think it's worth it in the current state.

Edited by Kordanor