Pillars of Eternity Beginner's Guide

Depends how much you enjoy combat. If you want to be forced to play quite optimally - play on Hard. That's my favourite difficulty.

Thanks for your fast answer. I like hard difficulty but I don't want to get stuck 20 times with the same battle.

And is this PoE version stable? I mean free of serious bugs like crashes to desktop or an area that doesn't load.

Loving the guide Sensuki .

Morte on youtube here

I noticed in the first video you talked about a chanter tank. This really interests me and I would like to try this as my first PC. Do you have any stat allocation suggestions? As I'm still a bit puzzled how the chanter works with regards to the chant mechanic. 

Cheers :)

Fairy Light Chip of Draxor FX Enchanted@4.5 static bolts

Holy graphics card of Edenwell 6000

8 Gelgaplex of rammage

100 stash squares of the heavy traveller

I'll show it off later in my guide, but I would focus on Intellect, Perception and Resolve. Use a Weapon and Shield and take defensive/shield-based talents.

Chanting is passive, it doesn't require you to do anything and then every three chants you can cast an invocation. It's pretty passive, low micromanagement build that is very effective.

• Like 1

I'll show it off later in my guide, but I would focus on Intellect, Perception and Resolve. Use a Weapon and Shield and take defensive/shield-based talents.

Chanting is passive, it doesn't require you to do anything and then every three chants you can cast an invocation. It's pretty passive, low micromanagement build that is very effective.

hmm that sounds pretty good in terms of first playthrough, less focus on my PC and more on the companions/adventurers.

Thats awesome to know thank you :)

Fairy Light Chip of Draxor FX Enchanted@4.5 static bolts

Holy graphics card of Edenwell 6000

8 Gelgaplex of rammage

100 stash squares of the heavy traveller

Dear Sensuki, since you've played the beta, how viable is it to just start playing Ironman style? As in:

-Are there moments when death will just strike if you are not in the know of the upcoming adversities (hard difficulty)?

-How fast does the game open up? As in, if I start a new character do I have to repeat the same 2-3 hours long stretch of tutorial/intro every time after a character dies?

Quick mechanics question after seeing a decent amount of push on some of the spells in the manual. If I have a fighter engaged in melee combat with an enemy, and I use a spell to push that enemy away, will that allow my fighter to get a disengagement attack off?

And is this PoE version stable? I mean free of serious bugs like crashes to desktop or an area that doesn't load.

Bester found one crash bug with the last beta version. It's been fixed for the Day 1 patch and to for it to happen you had to try and reload combat while you had a summoned weapon equipped.

Other than that I haven't seen one for a while.

Quick mechanics question after seeing a decent amount of push on some of the spells in the manual. If I have a fighter engaged in melee combat with an enemy, and I use a spell to push that enemy away, will that allow my fighter to get a disengagement attack off?

No, it will just break engagement.

Edited by Sensuki

Forced movement does not provoke attacks of oppor- wait no wrong system.

I did not even think to check whether the manual is already up on Steam, your comment just gave me something to read :thumbsup:

Also thank you to Sensuki for the videos, a very nice introduction since I didn't really follow the Forum.

First post updated.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Dear Sensuki, since you've played the beta, how viable is it to just start playing Ironman style? As in:

-Are there moments when death will just strike if you are not in the know of the upcoming adversities (hard difficulty)?

-How fast does the game open up? As in, if I start a new character do I have to repeat the same 2-3 hours long stretch of tutorial/intro every time after a character dies?

Missed this post sorry. The prologue is super easy. You can get into trouble if you're not careful after that though, much like BG1.

Cheers, Sensuki.  Couple of questions:

Do you know what the accuracy bonus to disengagement attacks is?  Might end up just modding that part out if I can work out how.

You mentioned you can cancel an ability you're in the middle of using and you don't lose it; is it the same if you're interrupted, you don't lose the ability you were partway through using?

Thanks for the videos! Maybe I won't have to spend 2 hours in character creation when I first start the game like I usually do with new RPGs.

Oh, you know you will anyway. :p

Sensuki, nice vid. It was great to check the computer this morning and find that waiting for me. Cheers, and keep up the good work!

Hi Sensuki,

First off, thanks for a great guide :)

With no rogues available as companions, I am thinking of maybe creating one as my main character, to open chests, disarm traps, etc. Do you think it necessary, or can I just develop another character's stealth and mechanics skills for this?

Also, custom characters created at the Stronghold, will one be able to use them in party or only at the Stronghold?

Edited by Descartian