Pillars of Eternity Beginner's Guide

Looking forward to the next installment! Question about difficulty. I've played the backer beta through on hard. Thought the combat was quite fun actually if only as it was while trying so many new things out. You explained PotD would have all enemies from all difficulties plus stats increase. On the Beta there don't seem to be more enemies ( do they have bonus stats?) so it's hard to tell if this would be immersion breaking. There are a couple of encounters, one with spiders (I'm assuming that's not too much of spoiler) where there are a good deal of enemies on hard,and while the encounter was actually pretty easy, I can see chucking a load more spiders around them would get pretty silly in terms of the room being totally full. I don't want to ruin the experience but from th e encounters I tried nothing really stood out as super hard and I very much want super hard, just not if it results in silliness. Have you or anyone tested PotD as considering for first and all playthroughs,

A DSimpson style guide would be an indispensable part of "the full IE experience" :D I'm just worried you'll get work in a year or two and you'll be far too busy to keep things going in the community at the same pace as you can do now.

BTW, I wonder how DSimspon is doing right now? I wonder if he is a PoE backer and is somewhere around.

Edited by Gairnulf
  • Like 1

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Just want to chime in here and say that I watched the video, skipping around to the parts I was interested in, and it was actually quite helpful to me, being otherwise clueless on the mechanics! So thanks! :)

If you're still answering questions, I would like to ask you one: How reliably can you keep back-liners out of trouble? In other words: Can I get away with min/maxing a wizard to intentionally being really weak to physical attacks and survive on difficulty levels above normal?

A DSimpson style guide would be an indispensable part of "the full IE experience" :D I'm just worried you'll get work in a year or two and you'll be far too busy to keep things going in the community at the same pace as you can do now.

BTW, I wonder how DSimspon is doing right now? I wonder if he is a PoE backer and is somewhere around.

I used Haeveron (sp?) BG2:EE guide on GameFaqs for my last playthrough of the game.  Pretty good, but a bit biased towards power-gaming the system like picking a fighter/mage etc.

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Part 2 is uploaded. Youtube is processing it now.

I would like to apologize in advance for the length. It's over an hour long, I had absolutely no idea that I'd been talking for an hour.

Part 2 encompasses UI, Options and Mechanics.

Part 3 will cover gameplay.

• Like 8

Thinking of weapon choice, is going for the Estoc over a two handed sword worth it?

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

It certainly is.

That's what I thought. I was just second guessing myself with weapon focus soldier having the Arbalest and Arquebus as potential secondary weapons.

Any ideas on the best stat spread for an off tank paladin? Every time I try to build one I end up mediocre at everything...

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

With ur approval i'll use this thread to show off my Pillars of Eternity inSPECtions

*** Character progression spoiler alert ***.

Edited by mrmonocle

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

Sensuki, awesome vids.  These will definitely help non-BB players get accustomed to the game.  

On the note of the Blunderbuss and its interrupt value of 0.05.  You seemed unsure about it.  Just tossing out that it could be that each of the 8 projectiles is capable of 0.05 seconds interrupt.  This means if all projectiles interrupt then you get around .4 depending on graze/hit/crit.  While if only 3 projectiles succeed then you gain .15ish.   Something that may warrant testing.  

Edited by Ganrich

Fair enough.  You know more than I do, for sure.  It just seems that since it fires 8 projectiles it may have a special property for interrupt.  I guess since each projectile has a possibility of interrupt they could have made it horrible at interrupts because have 8 possibilities per shot would have made it a ringer?  If it was .35 then having 8 chances could make it too potent in certain situations.