Pillars of Eternity Beginner's Guide

Hmm... I'm still trying to figure out the primary weapon and stat spread for my human paladin. Idea was to be an off tank with either a greatsword or an estoc, and decent intelligence for the aura buffs. Not sure on on the other stats though.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

Nice job on the video. Better than a lot of the big names. Has anyone seen Marbozir? *facepalm*

Question though, doesn't perception help with finding secrets while in sneak mode or is it something else? I tried many different builds in the beta and noticed that perception 20 was able to find me one extra secret vs my other characters (with same lvl mechanics and sneak)

Edited by xsubtownerx

Nice job on the video. Better than a lot of the big names. Has anyone seen Marbozir? *facepalm*

Question though, doesn't perception help with finding secrets while in sneak mode or is it something else? I tried many different builds in the beta and noticed that perception 20 was able to find me one extra secret vs my other characters (with same lvl mechanics and sneak)

Nah that's actually Mechanics. I thought it was Perception too, but the BB Rogue has high Mechanics and Perception so it can be confusing, and cheers.

Edited by Sensuki

Nah that's actually Mechanics. I thought it was Perception too, but the BB Rogue has high Mechanics and Perception so it can be confusing, and cheers.

WTB mod for this. 

Perception or Stealth for finding traps imo. 

Edited by Bazy

Thanks for the vid, I was really just watching to see the Stat effects but they kind of show their own effect. A couple of questions:

Worthwhile to lower any stats below base? Con on ranged for instance?

I know you can't test every build but any thoughts on the Swift Aim + Gunner Ranger with max dex? (I know you are not big on ranged ranger)

And I know you said you would cover it in the next vid and I will wait for that if it's too much trouble but for the love of god can someone please explain to me how interrupt works? _ interrupt CHAR with _ interrupt GEAR vs. _ concentration MOB = _% for interrupt

Ty again.

Yeah I drop CON below 10 on ranged. Others also drop RES or PER as well. I've seen people dump DEX on tanks.

Haha, I think I really need to explain interrupt in a video but basically it works like this.

Interrupts can only occur on grazes, hits or crits. When you roll one of these attack resolutions, you also roll to interrupt. Interrupt is a random roll of d100 + your Interrupt - enemy Concentration. Your roll is also reduced by 50 on a graze or increased by 50 on a crit.

What this means is that the effectiveness of Interrupt is tied to your accuracy score, if you are not accurate then your Interrupt is going to be bad and you're not going to get many interrupts.

Concentration indirectly benefits from having high defenses, because high defenses can 'reduce' the interrupt roll (e.g., when they graze you on a good attack roll because your Deflection is high).

Interrupts then 'mini-stun' that character for the length of time designated on the attack (usually 0.5 seconds). If a character suffers from two interrupts close together, then if the interrupt length of the second attack is longer than the current amount of time left on their interrupt recovery then it overrides the current interrupt.

E.g., If you've been hit by an 0.5 sec interrupt and have 0.17 sec left on it, a new 0.35 sec interrupt will push your interrupt recovery to 0.35 rather than simply adding on top of it.

Blunderbusses have an interrupt of 0.05 sec (Weakest), Light weapons have 0.35 sec, normal weapons 0.5 sec, 2H weapons 0.75 sec and Morningstars have a 1 second interrupt.

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 2

Sensuki IK Youtube has ad revenue and gets a lot more attention than text guides because the Youtube platform really pushes out stuff, but text guides are good too just in case you're doing future stuff.  

Edited by Urthor

I don't monetize my youtube.

I have a transcript of my video if you would like it.

I might post the transcript in spoilers for the next one, but I'll be doing in game demonstrations so it might be redundant.

• Like 1

I don't monetize my youtube.

I have a transcript of my video if you would like it.

I might post the transcript in spoilers for the next one, but I'll be doing in game demonstrations so it might be redundant.

Consider not doing a transcript. You sound a lot better when you just speak naturally. (You didn't transcript your "Sensuki's story" video, and that came off very well)

And your accent lets you get away with just about everything.

Edited by Bazy

I did actually write the script for this video, but I riffed off what I wrote sometimes (which I can't help doing). It's the first video that I wrote a script for, usually I just write notes like "Selection circles - blue for npcs omg ffff y u no" etc

If it wasn't noticeable then that's cool :)

Edited by Sensuki

Transcript would actually probably help a lot tbh.

Just in general I find that while videos do pretty well at orienting you, a text guide  has massive EV because you can refer back to it when you want to check what mechanics work how, and these days I feel so much of the content for everything is Youtube based that the good old Gamefaqs guide approach to conveying information is being lost, and the Gamefaqs way is actually really incredibly helpful.  

Anyway not to complain, I'm sure a channel is very helpful as well, just my random 2 cents of philosophy.  

Edited by Urthor
  • Like 3

Transcript would actually probably help a lot tbh.

Just in general I find that while videos do pretty well at orienting you, a text guide  has massive EV because you can refer back to it when you want to check what mechanics work how, and these days I feel so much of the content for everything is Youtube based that the good old Gamefaqs guide approach to conveying information is being lost, and the Gamefaqs way is actually really incredibly helpful.  

Anyway not to complain, I'm sure a channel is very helpful as well, just my random 2 cents of philosophy.  

Agreed text guide would be great. But that's rather different than a transcript for a video. 

I'm a big fan of DSimpson's stuff from GameFAQs.

^

Edited by Bazy
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the video, though my preference for stuff like this is definitely text and not videos.  Sensuki has been a fantastic advocate for this game and I think Obsidian should comp him the 10K KS tier and use that visit for a job interview.  Look at what he has done on his own.  What would he do on the payroll?