Pillars of Eternity Beginner's Guide

Spells and abilities don't scale with level. I'll get into that stuff in my next video. It took me a long time to write the transcript for this (I hope it was good), and I want the next two to be good as well.

Edit: not entirely correct. Non-weapon based spells and abilities add your level to Accuracy roll.

Edited by Sensuki

English steals vocabulary from everybody. Anyway its use here is from Yiddish which means an honorable person, so since massive Jewish immigration from Eastern Europe to the United States.

Edited by Valmy
  • Like 2

Has anyone ever wondered about all that undergound races in Faerun being dark instead of pale? I mean, it makes no sense.

Not sure about the others, but drow are black because of a divine curse. Also, you could argue that they'd be black to hide better, but that's kinda dodgy.

t50aJUd.jpg

Spells and abilities don't scale with level. I'll get into that stuff in my next video. It took me a long time to write the transcript for this (I hope it was good), and I want the next two to be good as well.

Nice job on the first installment. Looking forward to part 2, as I've not been keeping up with the changes in game mechanics in the beta (well, haven't been keeping up with the beta changes for a couple months now, to be honest) and I'm interested to get a grip on some of those.

Are there spell combos ?

In Mass effect 2 if you put warp followed up with throw,you'll get bigger effect , bigger damage, radius.

The closest thing is lowering a defense with a debuff, and then attacking that defense. Often results in critical hits (on either damage or duration).

That was very helpful; thanks.  To delve a little more into the rp side of character building, do you get the sense that there are common thresholds for attributes used in dialogue, i.e. if you take 14 Resolve (or whatever amount) you'll be able to pass the medium difficulty relevant checks, that sort of thing?

Yes and no. There aren't "hard-coded" spell combos but there are spell synergies: for example, if you're attacking enemies with high Reflex, it pays to hit them with a spell that attacks Will and debuffs Reflex as a side effect, and then hit them with a Fireball which attacks Reflex.

edit: ninja'ed

Edited by PrimeJunta
  • Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I would personally advise maxing attributes and skills over middling scores because then it will take you less playthroughs to experience all of the available options.

However if you do have several average scores, you'll simply be able to unlock more lower scores. I haven't played very far into the game yet (I'm focusing on these videos) so I don't know what later game checks are like.

I liked how you explained the use of each atribute in combat, but I wanted to know how important they are in dialogue too. I understand that Intelect, Resolve and Perception can open dialogue options, but how high they need to be? Lets say I want to play as a wise wizard "know-at-all" Gandalf style, should I put all my points in this three atributes even knowing that without Might my AOE will suffer?

The truth is, I will not know exactly how important they are until I finish the game, and I have not got very far yet because I'm making this guide. I do think that the non-combat skill and attribute check design may favor min-maxing.

Edited by Sensuki

Watching the video now... a couple things:

1) You say that it's possible for chanters to overlap chants with high enough intellect. The last time I check chant durations were not being effected by intellect. Can someone confirm whether this is true or not?

2) The script is fine... but you don't need one, and I think if you will probably sound better without one. 

Edited by Bazy

At minute 25 in the video you say that you hope that the Deflection bonus of Perception gets changed back to an Accuracy bonus as it was in the past.

I don't really have an opinion about which is better, but I really really hope that Obsidan doesn't change the attributes once the game is released, because the character-ruining potential of that action on a 40+ hours savegame could be huge.
I hope they realize this is a singleplayer game (not a multiplayer MMO, MOBA or RTS that needs to be tweaked constantly) and focus on correcting bugs, not on changing main systems. They already had enough time to design the game, what is done is done.