Unlimited rest option?

I have an irrational dislike for using cheats as well, even to work around game-breaking bugs, so I sympathize.

Well, with that part anyway. Rest-spamming not so much.

I'm actually kind of mad that the BG's allowed rest-spamming (and a number of other fairly obvious degenerate strategies), because that taught me to play the game wrong. I was just clever enough to figure out the obvious exploits, and then I stuck with them because they worked, rather than exploring the system to find a more fun and more efficient way to play. If the games had had limited resting, I would have had to do more work to figure out how to best use spells, how to get the AI to target your tank, how to backstab, and so on and so forth. Because it didn't I could just save-spam and rest-spam my way through the tough fights which made them feel like unpleasant chores rather than fun challenges.

It's only lately, thanks to Sensuki, Stun, and a number of other grogs here that I've seen the light and learned what the hey these games really are all about.

I think that in some arguments, Sensuki (and others) make the mistake of bringing up the IE games, because it makes it seem like that's the argument, like "It's not IE" is the issue. But even though there's some merit to that ("It doesn't feel right"), it doesn't tend to be the actual problem, and most criticism levied against certain mechanics is warranted in it's own right.

The IE games were really good, but they were far from perfect. There are definitely exploits that, if not hard-plugged, could've at least been discouraged. Rest Spam is one of them, and I don't think there's much wrong with the approach of PoE in terms of fixing it (although I'm also increasingly getting the feeling that Per-Encounter Abilities might as well have been cooldowns, even as I hate cooldown gameplay, just to avoid all these goddamn issues relating to Combat State and whatnot).

(Rather to my horror I'm finding that I might even actually ... dislike ... engagement. There, I said it. You guys have corrupted my soul.)

As someone that initially supported the idea of Engagement...

One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us! One of us!

:p

I actually still want to like the idea of an Engagement System, I just don't see a way of how it'd work well, and at this point (or rather, a point months ago now) I don't see how it can be salvaged.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Console commands are a developer tool; they're not actually meant to be played with. That's why use of console commands can actually bug out the game--not break it and make it easy, but actually make the game crash, freeze, break quest chains, or just bug out.

So then answer me again why we need to make this console command a checkbox in the options?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Console commands are a developer tool; they're not actually meant to be played with. That's why use of console commands can actually bug out the game--not break it and make it easy, but actually make the game crash, freeze, break quest chains, or just bug out.

So then answer me again why we need to make this console command a checkbox in the options?

Do you really think I'm asking for them to just add a buggy developers tool checkbox and call it a day? Because that's a hell of a leap and something I never said. Not only that, but I never said I want the rest option. I've simply explained the difference between cheating and using a game option deliberately put in place by the developers *for you to use*.

It's like, if they hadn't provide the toggable option, then it would be cheating to use console commands to unlock the stash. But it's not cheating to click a checkbox in the options and play the game.

Edited by Katarack21

Even if it breaks the entire balance?

Or the box is called "GODMODE. This totally nerfs all challenge, but we added it here never-the-less. Don't use if you want to play the game as intended"?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Or the box is called "GODMODE. This totally nerfs all challenge, but we added it here never-the-less. Don't use if you want to play the game as intended"?

Yes. Because you aren't breaking the rules; you aren't actually forcing the game to accommodate you outside of what the creators intended for you to be capable of doing. In that case the creators clearly *intended* for you to be *capable* of playing the game in the fashion. It may be cheap, it may be lazy, it may not be their original narrative intention, it may be a lot of things but it's not cheating, it's simply using an option that was knowingly and deliberately given to you for your use.

Cheating, by definition, involves dishonesty. Cheating means you are doing something you were never meant or intended to do for your own self benefit. It does not mean using an option that was deliberately provided to you which subverts some aspect of gameplay.

• Like 1

Someone needs to take a chill pill - You've argued your case, Kata. There's no need to shove down the "Don't cheat - The developers intended the game this way" philosophy.

I completely agree that "rest spamming" from the IE engine is more immersive and less arbitrary - You can't just port pen and paper mechanics into a video game when you leave out the flexible GM aspect. Not being able to put down a sleeping bag for the night because you ran out of an arbitrary resource - and being limited arbitrality in how many you can carry along is just a weird approach in my mind.

And since you can run back to an Inn all the time anyway, it's not really cheating - It's just a timesaver. As for the "per rest" abilities, I don't see the point of them in the first place. They add an immersion breaking aspect to the game that I'll never learn to love - No wizards for me.

I memory hacked the limitation away from the second the game was released - But I'd welcome a less... volatile approach (anyone happen to have a link to the mod?)

Yes. Because you aren't breaking the rules; you aren't actually forcing the game to accommodate you outside of what the creators intended for you to be capable of doing. In that case the creators clearly *intended* for you to be *capable* of playing the game in the fashion. It may be cheap, it may be lazy, it may not be their original narrative intention, it may be a lot of things but it's not cheating, it's simply using an option that was knowingly and deliberately given to you for your use.

Cheating, by definition, involves dishonesty. Cheating means you are doing something you were never meant or intended to do for your own self benefit. It does not mean using an option that was deliberately provided to you which subverts some aspect of gameplay.

It's a single player game. There is no dishonesty in using the console. Also, it is the creators' intention for you to be able to modify the game using the console. They could have made it inaccessible if they wanted.

Yes you get the point.

I was a rest spamer in BG. Guilty !  :dancing:

But i've got a challenge and it was fun. So what.

Everybody should play their games as they want to...

Rest spamming was my way to play BG too and it was so annoying I couldn't understand why should be built this way.

The health/endurance system of Pillars is designed around having abilities "spent" (not using mana etc) but be meaningful about that. So resting while adventuring is limited. I like it alot tbh.

Not being able to rest more often is not more challenging, it's more of a pain in the a$$.  In the game as it is, you can rest as much as you want, you just have to leave all cleared levels of the dugeon.... go to waypoint that leads to an Inn/Keep.... go rest...buy camp supplies...trudge back to the dungeon...wash rinse repeat...  IMHO that does not make it more challenging, that just makes more drudgery.  Unless , of course, you think drudgery is challenging.

Edited by darthopper
  • Like 1

Not being able to rest more often is not more challenging, it's more of a pain in the a$$.  In the game as it is, you can rest as much as you want, you just have to leave all cleared levels of the dugeon.... go to waypoint that leads to an Inn/Keep.... go rest...buy camp supplies...trudge back to the dungeon...wash rinse repeat...  IMHO that does not make it more challenging, that just makes more drudgery.  Unless , of course, you think drudgery is challenging.

This.  I beat POTD with no problems.

No, I didn't find this rest mechanic  "hard".  All it did was make me go through more load screens or make my Wizard spam auto attack for a majority of the game, which is bad design.

If the load screens weren't so Obsidian long or if Wizard had good per encounter abilities....then it would be a different story.

But all it does is create a nuisance, not difficulty.  The game was a breeze.

Edited by Parsong
  • Like 1

Hi there,

followed Project Eternity from the beginning but never made an account 

here. So here we go.

My question is, will there be an option to change the rest function to unlimited?

I searched the forums & googled but couldn't find a definitive answer to it.

It would be a huge letdown to me if I'm forced to keep an eye on my rest supplies

all the time...

Greetings

Open console and write: rest

Another useful console command is: ManageParty

If commands does not work you have to first write: iroll20s

Rest and party management should have been made more flexible, and semi-cheating with those two console commands from time to time is nothing to feel bad about.

the whole camping gear is, for the early game, a moot point. if you have cleared an area, you can get your fast travel on, goto compass, goto inn, sleep for free. 

you only need the camping gear 2/4/6 when you are in a long slog. frankly, I often only need to rest to get spells back for casters.