Unlimited rest option?

Hi there,

followed Project Eternity from the beginning but never made an account 

here. So here we go.

My question is, will there be an option to change the rest function to unlimited?

I searched the forums & googled but couldn't find a definitive answer to it.

It would be a huge letdown to me if I'm forced to keep an eye on my rest supplies

all the time...

Greetings

You could use console commands to rest if that doesn't upset your sensibilities, otherwise you are out of luck I think. If you play on easy and remember to always stock up in town you should be fine though, you can find camping supplies in dungeons etc every now and then.

Either play Dragon Age Inquisition or set this game to easy if you don't want any challenge whatsoever.

Yeah. Because getting rid of the rest limit means nothing in the game will ever be challenging at any time.

• Like 2

@ Diogenes

Thanks. I'm in for the challenge, the game don't have to be easy it's just the rest system which turns me off.

Played the old Fallouts & Baldurs Gate so challenge is not my concern.

I'm not sure about the console thing, feels like cheating, but thank you for the info.

EDIT:

@ Developers

Please think about an option to turn it off. 

It wouldn't hurt anybody.

Edited by jaydee.2k

Either play Dragon Age Inquisition or set this game to easy if you don't want any challenge whatsoever.

Yeah. Because getting rid of the rest limit means nothing in the game will ever be challenging at any time.

From what I understand, OP wants to rest as many times as possible without camping supplies. How does that NOT remove challenge?

Calibrating...

No but it's easy to mod the camping supplies limit to 99999. There's already a mod for this in the BB, made specially for @Gfted1's benefit.

I rather doubt it's going to be changed in the official version though, as the balance of per-rest and per-encounter abilities and the health/endurance mechanic is based around limited resting. It would throw the entire game balance out of whack, effectively turning everything into per-encounter abilities.

It will make the game a great deal easier. I would suggest you explore the other ways to control game difficulty before changing something this fundamental.

PS. You can't turn off friendly fire either. Just in case you're curious.

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

From what I understand, OP wants to rest as many times as possible without camping supplies. How does that NOT remove challenge?

The OP want's the option of resting as many times as he wants without limit. That doesn't mean he's going to rest every five minutes, or remember to rest whenever damaged--nor does it mean he can't screw up and die in the middle of a battle. Rest spam was a common part of BG 1 and 2 for a lot of people, and nobody ever said they weren't challenging games.

The OP want's the option of resting as many times as he wants without limit. That doesn't mean he's going to rest every five minutes, or remember to rest whenever damaged--nor does it mean he can't screw up and die in the middle of a battle. Rest spam was a common part of BG 1 and 2 for a lot of people, and nobody ever said they weren't challenging games.

Prima Junta has said everything I wanted to say.

This game is not the same as BG. Resting in this game is balanced around fatigue, per rest/per encounter spells, the HP/Endurance mechanic, and the maimed status. Having the ability to rest without penalty throws the balance off greatly and makes the game considerably easier.

• Like 1

Calibrating...

Except that in PoE it would be very, very hard to screw up and die in the middle of battle if you're resting more often than camping supplies allow because PoE's health is much more generous then BG's. This is because PoE's health is supposed to last for several tough encounters whereas BG's need only last for one tough encounter or several trash mobs at the most.

Actually BG was balanced around resting only occasionally, basically when you're out of spells and potions and about half-dead; it's based on AD&D 2nd Edition, which is balanced around the same thing. Unlike in PoE, in BG you don't have per-encounter abilities; everything is basically per-rest, from every spell to every special ability to trap setting, and every single rest comes with the possibility of being attacked and *not* regaining anything. The health-basis is somewhat a point, but since the "don't die" thing is toggable, that kind of negates a great deal of that issue.

The resting limit is one of the few things about PoE that I *strongly* dislike.

Edited by Katarack21

I'm not sure about the console thing, feels like cheating, but thank you for the info.

Logic;

Manually allowing yourself to rest infinitely feels like cheating, but having the same option added by the developers would not be.

Cause... reasons.

:geek:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Logic;

Manually allowing yourself to rest infinitely feels like cheating, but having the same option added by the developers would not be.

Cause... reasons.

:geek:

Actually, that is perfectly logical. One is violating the rules set by the creators; the other is having the creators change the rules so that they are more lax. One is cheating because it's subverting the established order. The other is not, but is rather having the authorities change the order.

It's the difference between smoking weed in violation of the law, and having the law changed so that weed is no longer illegal.

So if developers add a "god mode" toggle, they totally intend everyone to use it, and while it breaks their entire game it's all good and dandy.

Huh...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

So if developers add a "god mode" toggle, they totally intend everyone to use it, and while it breaks their entire game it's all good and dandy.

Huh...

Not saying it would be all good and dandy, just that doing something specifically created by the developers for you to do is, by actual definition of the word, not cheating.

Even though you're asking developers to add this specifically knowing it's breaking their entire gamebalance...

Still not seeing the logic.

^

It's really very, very simple.

If you are allowed to do something without breaking the rules, because the people who made the game deliberately allow you to (regardless of why), then doing that thing is not cheating.

If you have to break the rules and modify the game in order to do it because the developers specifically did not allow you to otherwise, then it is cheating.

It literally has nothing to do with the reasons the devs put it in or the effects it has. Cheating is about dishonestly altering the game in order to favor yourself, not about breaking the game by using something that is unbalanced.

Yeah that's it. It's all about the feeling.

Feels just meh to rest per console.

I could type healparty then and thats not what i want.

Rest limit should be optional. It's not that i will rest after

every fight but if I need let's say 3 rests in an area to get

through and i got only 2 supplys thats just annoying.

I want to decide when i would rest without any restrictions.

That's all...

• Like 1

Normal allows more resting supplies... well over 3.

And no, it's not 'that simple'... console commands are in the game too, the difference between using it and a dev checkbox is practically ZERO.

So why one feels like cheating and the other "The devs wanted me to play this way, but... not really" is still non-logic to me.

^

And no, it's not 'that simple'... console commands are in the game too, the difference between using it and a dev checkbox is practically ZERO.

So why one feels like cheating and the other "The devs wanted me to play this way, but... not really" is still non-logic to me.

Some people are all about the Achievements. :p

t50aJUd.jpg

Console commands are a developer tool; they're not actually meant to be played with. That's why use of console commands can actually bug out the game--not break it and make it easy, but actually make the game crash, freeze, break quest chains, or just bug out.

Edited by Katarack21

I have an irrational dislike for using cheats as well, even to work around game-breaking bugs, so I sympathize.

Well, with that part anyway. Rest-spamming not so much.

I'm actually kind of mad that the BG's allowed rest-spamming (and a number of other fairly obvious degenerate strategies), because that taught me to play the game wrong. I was just clever enough to figure out the obvious exploits, and then I stuck with them because they worked, rather than exploring the system to find a more fun and more efficient way to play. If the games had had limited resting, I would have had to do more work to figure out how to best use spells, how to get the AI to target your tank, how to backstab, and so on and so forth. Because it didn't I could just save-spam and rest-spam my way through the tough fights which made them feel like unpleasant chores rather than fun challenges.

It's only lately, thanks to Sensuki, Stun, and a number of other grogs here that I've seen the light and learned what the hey these games really are all about.

(Rather to my horror I'm finding that I might even actually ... dislike ... engagement. There, I said it. You guys have corrupted my soul.)

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com