Press Release Version of Eder's, Aloth's, Kana's, & Durance's Attribute Spread

Got this from a someone streaming the press release copy.

Eder - Fighter

Might 16

Constitution 16

Dexterity 11

Perception 10

Intelligence 13

Resolve 12

Aloth - Wizard

Might 12

Constitution 10

Dexterity 11

Perception 16

Intelligence 16

Resolve 13

Durance - Priest

Might 14

Constitution 15

Dexterity 9

Perception 9

Intelligence 13

Resolve 19

Kana - Chanter

Might 16

Constitution 12

Dexterity 9

Perception 14

Intelligence 18

Resolve 10

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

how come durance and kana have + 19 stats?

Racial and Cultural bonuses. You can get Might up to 21 with an Aumaua with the right culture.

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

Aloth is looking like someone in development forgot about how Might isn't Strength.

He seem to have stats that are quite fine for support, crowd control and second tank builds, making him hard hitter would be much more trickier, but even it could be achieved with right itemization and consumables+rest bonuses, especially if supported by other members of team. And of course he is fine in many combination roles.

Companions' stats reflect the narrative team's vision for that character. Aloth, as previewed during the PAX East stream, is a know-it-all, see-it-all type guy, which maps to high Perception and Intelligence. I have no idea why people expect companions to be min-maxed combat gods.

• Like 14

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Alright, so, I don't care that much, but I actually entered the topic by accident, and this should probably be marked as being spoiler-ish.

I'm not upset, it's just mechanics, and yes it mentions it in the topic, but I also first read that as this being a discussion on the possible Attributes, not actually the straight-up information. Colour me dumb, whatever, but I still think the topic should be marked.

Anyway, yeah.

Aloth is looking like someone in development forgot about how Might isn't Strength.

I think there'll be a lot of that, honestly. At first I didn't actually care, but every good wizard also being The Hulk is actually annoying me more and more.

Aloth has high Per/Int, and I'm, like.. Per? Bah. All of my bahs. I think it really highlights the issue with the current Attributes being wonky as all hell.

Companions' stats reflect the narrative team's vision for that character. Aloth, as previewed during the PAX East stream, is a know-it-all, see-it-all type guy, which maps to high Perception and Intelligence. I have no idea why people expect companions to be min-maxed combat gods.

I don't think anyone expects that, and I don't think anyone has inferred that they do. I think the issue has a lot to do with the fact that the Attributes are very far from balanced (going by v480), meaning that while a high Per/Int Wizard would simply be a "unique" Wizard that favours a certain playstyle in, say, v384, in post-v435 Per is dead weight to them. That is not to say that v384 was balanced or anything, I'm just using it as an example (it had completely broken Accuracy, for example).

And had it entirely been about the narrative vision for the characters, I would've expected Edér to have high Dexterity because he was originally conceived as a rogue. I'm a bit sad that they didn't just stick to that concept but modeled him as a Fighter. Could've been interesting to have an atypically built Fighter to showcase the system's strengths.. 'cept it's not really much of a Strength now (Dexterity, with Heavy Armour? Haaahahahahahaha.)

Edit: The quick, dirty and easy fix would've been to give him light armour instead, but then the noobs would've been incredibly confused, especially since he was most likely made into a Fighter because noobs needed an obvious tank to pick.

I think I'm going to mod him into being a high-Dex/Con character once I've balanced the Attributes. I don't need the hand-holding.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

Racial and Cultural bonuses. You can get Might up to 21 with an Aumaua with the right culture.

no no you didnt understand mate, what iam saying is how they can have + 19 additional stats. when everyone else have 18 and the char u create has 18 aswell ( 15 + racial +2, culture + 1 )

• Like 1

Twitch.tv/MorbusOfKookyB  - Will stream PotD,ToI,Expert.

Alright, so, I don't care that much, but I actually entered the topic by accident, and this should probably be marked as being spoiler-ish.

I'm not upset, it's just mechanics, and yes it mentions it in the topic, but I also first read that as this being a discussion on the possible Attributes, not actually the straight-up information. Colour me dumb, whatever, but I still think the topic should be marked.

Anyway, yeah.

I think there'll be a lot of that, honestly. At first I didn't actually care, but every good wizard also being The Hulk is actually annoying me more and more.

Aloth has high Per/Int, and I'm, like.. Per? Bah. All of my bahs. I think it really highlights the issue with the current Attributes being wonky as all hell.

I don't think anyone expects that, and I don't think anyone has inferred that they do. I think the issue has a lot to do with the fact that the Attributes are very far from balanced (going by v480), meaning that while a high Per/Int Wizard would simply be a "unique" Wizard that favours a certain playstyle in, say, v384, in post-v435 Per is dead weight to them. That is not to say that v384 was balanced or anything, I'm just using it as an example (it had completely broken Accuracy, for example).

How is it dead weight? I'm not trying to be a ****, I'm honestly curious. Not having played the BB, I'm going on the information that I have--that is, Perception effecting accuracy, reflex, and range of non-melee spells. Seems like something I'd want on my stay-the-****-back caster.

and bout the stats, you guys are missing some facts, the fight is tactical in this game, if you think your Aloth ( or any other mage ) will stand behind doing what he pleases you are wrong, opponents will have rogues , there will be ambushes, aoe spells, dragons, groups of 10 etc etc.And you didnt even saw half of the mages spells.You dont know how they work and what stats will be good for them. And this isnt your character, same as it was in BG, you meet him, he is who he is.Period

Twitch.tv/MorbusOfKookyB  - Will stream PotD,ToI,Expert.

Blame the decision-making process that made Perception useless for Wizards.

no no you didnt understand mate, what iam saying is how they can have + 19 additional stats. when everyone else have 18 and the char u create has 18 aswell ( 15 + racial +2, culture + 1 )

There's a long tradition of companions in these types of games having ridiculously overinflated stats. I'd be disappointed if some the companions weren't cheating. :p

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

From a balance perspective, not discussing the merits or lack thereof of certain classes vs. other classes, Kana Rua actually seems like the most powerful one. Most of his Attributes play to the strengths of the class (Chanter), as opposed to for example Edér (He was turned into a run-of-the-mill Tank, but.. Might?) and Aloth (Perception? Ahahaha, oh wow.)

Durance has a good spread but no focus, which I don't actually mind that much at all. It is much better to have a good spread than to be overfocused in something bad.

How is it dead weight? I'm not trying to be a ****, I'm honestly curious. Not having played the BB, I'm going on the information that I have--that is, Perception effecting accuracy, reflex, and range of non-melee spells. Seems like something I'd want on my stay-the-****-back caster.

Perception gives Interrupt and Deflection. Interrupt isn't very powerful (doesn't happen often enough), Wizards never really increase their base Accuracy, and Deflection is beyond useless unless you're playing something that can take advantage of it (and stacks it, a lot).

Perception hasn't affected Range or Accuracy since v384 or whatever. I think it was v384, I might get my numbers up. Whatever came before v435.

Perception and Constitution are largely considered the worst stats, but can be useful for specific builds (Tanks, basically).

t50aJUd.jpg

Perception doesn't affect range or accuracy...

Then the Wiki is wrong. What does it effect?

The wiki is wrong about everything, categorically, all the time. Do not trust it. Never.

Perception gives you a bonus to Deflection, Interrupt, and Reflex. It's pretty much exclusively useful for front-liners.

• Like 2

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

From a balance perspective, not discussing the merits or lack thereof of certain classes vs. other classes, Kana Rua actually seems like the most powerful one. Most of his Attributes play to the strengths of the class (Chanter), as opposed to for example Edér (He was turned into a run-of-the-mill Tank, but.. Might?) and Aloth (Perception? Ahahaha, oh wow.)

Durance has a good spread but no focus, which I don't actually mind that much at all. It is much better to have a good spread than to be overfocused in something bad.

Perception gives Interrupt and Deflection. Interrupt isn't very powerful (doesn't happen often enough), Wizards never really increase their base Accuracy, and Deflection is beyond useless unless you're playing something that can take advantage of it (and stacks it, a lot).

Perception hasn't affected Range or Accuracy since v384 or whatever. I think it was v384, I might get my numbers up. Whatever came before v435.

Perception and Constitution are largely considered the worst stats, but can be useful for specific builds (Tanks, basically).

Thank you. So what your telling me is...the Wiki is worse than useless.

Last I checked, it was correct: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Character_creation#Attributes

But I'm basing that entirely form memory, I can't go into the beta and check right now.

If you go to the actual "Perception" page, it quotes the "in-game description" as "Perception represents a character's senses as well as their instinctive ability to pick up on details. In interactions, it can be used to catch someone in a lie, to make an observant comment about their appearance, or to notice something happening in the background. In combat, it grants a bonus to Accuracy with all attacks, contributes to the Reflexes defense, and increases the Range of all non-melee spells, abilities, and attacks."

I believe the reason Aloth has high Perception is due Josh wanting Aloth to take advantage of the high interrupt potential of the wizard implements (rods, wands, sceptres). At the end of the day, they are all viable companions.

Edited by TrueMenace

Calibrating...

Last I checked, it was correct: http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Character_creation#Attributes

But I'm basing that entirely form memory, I can't go into the beta and check right now.

If you go to the actual "Perception" page, it quotes the "in-game description" as "Perception represents a character's senses as well as their instinctive ability to pick up on details. In interactions, it can be used to catch someone in a lie, to make an observant comment about their appearance, or to notice something happening in the background. In combat, it grants a bonus to Accuracy with all attacks, contributes to the Reflexes defense, and increases the Range of all non-melee spells, abilities, and attacks."

The wiki is outdated. Listen to us who have the backer beta.

• Like 1

Calibrating...

A quick rundown:

• Might affects everyone equally, and is pretty alright for anything that wants to do damage. So, pretty much everything and everyone except tanks.

• Dexterity is garbage for everything wearing heavy armour (arguably any armour, but that's a pretty long discussion).

• Perception is utterly terrible for anyone that isn't specifically a tank-focused frontliner, and even then it's more or less outpaced in utility by other Attributes.

• Intellect is a consolidated caster stat that is also good for pretty much everyone. Hilariously and nonsensically powerful for Barbarians. It is king.

• Resolve is really bad for anyone that isn't also specifically a tank, and equally hilariously as Intellect, utter garbage for Paladins that aren't tanks (which I will never stop harping on).
Currently, the information available here should be correct. This is as of v480 and supposedly the review release, and it could change before final release (although incredibly doubtful).

Ignore that, it's wrong. In some cases the in-game descriptions are also odd as hell and based on old information, what matters are the modifiers.

Edited by Luckmann
  • Like 1

t50aJUd.jpg