Should non-backer streamers and Youtubers be promoting themselves here? perhaps a new subforum...

Whilst I personally don't have a problem with Obsidians decision to release copies of the game to streamers and Youtubers earlier than backers, some people here do and though that opinion may be a minority one it is no less valid.

I don't think we should allow non backer streamers and others to promote themselves freely here in General Discussion. Having people who have not backed the game and are not a part of this community come here and, with their first post, promote themselves playing the full game is crass and inconsiderate, both personal qualities I'm sure go a long way in building a professional streaming career. But Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea if they could have their own subforum.

Those interested in watching them can find them and the rest of us can continue to use General Discussion in peace.

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/71447-twitch-pe-themed-stream/

Not to single this dude out but it is a perfect example: first post here and it's an advert for his stream. No thank you.

That's cool that they are. How else are we supposed to watch their streams if we don't know about it?

• Like 6

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I agree with OP. Isn't the argument for these streamers/viral marketeers, that they bring people that might otherwise not know about the game, into the PoE purchasing fold?

Unless they are content creators in the sense of creating tutorials, walkthrough or other good-to-know videos, I don't think they should be allowed on these forums at all, frankly.

At the very least, make sure there is a spoilers-allowed forum where the folk can gather to post and discuss the streams. I don't want any of that in a spoiler-free section, such as this one.

EDIT: I should clarify that it makes no difference to me whether the streamer is a backer or not. That is wholly secondary to the content they produce. Someone streaming, excuse me, just for the **** of it, and not providing any useful content (outside of streaming the game as a Let's Play) have zero reason to be present on these forums, in my eyes.

Edited by soedenone

I don't mind, so long as they're promoting them even more in other places - we've all heard of PoE, we also need others to hear of it :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

That's cool that they are. How else are we supposed to watch their streams if we don't know about it?

I'm not saying ban them from the forums?

Create a new sub-forum, put a sticky in here directing people who enjoy watching other people playing games to that sub-forum.

• Like 1

I have a funny story about the spoiler forum that we used to have in Computer and Console, but way too long to tell. Spoilers are allowed, with tags, in the other PoE forums except for the announcement forum. Frankly, I completely agree with not having spoilers in here. There's been a thread that seems minorly spoilerish in this forum, but no one has complained about it. From my perspective, they could create an entire streaming sub-forum and I would personally never go into it if I didn't have to.

For the most part, I don't care to watch a game that I could instead be playing. Unless of course I'm pulling some sort of bonehead move and I need to look something up on the internet about a game. Even then, I don't want a video. I want a text explanation, although sometimes if you're daft enough (and sometimes I *am*), you probably need a video to show you exactly how your head is fitting up your rump when you can't figure out the game.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Even with the spoiler tags, I really don't like the idea of spoilers in a forum like this; which is specifically labelled "(NO SPOILERS)", I might add - even before release? That seems like just asking for trouble. 

Edited by soedenone

Yeah, I'm with you. I don't want to be spoiled. I want at least the chance to *start* the game before I see any big spoilerish things. Spoilers aren't allowed at all here, but I don't know what they'll decide to do about the streaming videos. If it contains spoiler text, I'll put in tags and move it though.

• Like 1

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

To me, it really depends on the severity. If it really becomes an issue, it should be dealt with, but overall, I don't see the harm in it as long as it's either in properly tagged threads or in a single megathread.

Actually, I like the single megathread idea. Makes it easy for people to avoid, too.

Also, I couldn't give any less of a hoot if they're backers or not. If there's any reason to keep them out, it's based on spoilers, because the vids contain spoilers, and this forum is spoiler-free.

t50aJUd.jpg

I asked if we could have a pinned megathread for streams. We'll see what admin does, but I would like to make it as easy as possible for folks to avoid spoilers here. :Cant's keeping his fingers crossed icon:

• Like 1

Obsidian Plays

I asked if we could have a pinned megathread for streams. We'll see what admin does, but I would like to make it as easy as possible for folks to avoid spoilers here. :Cant's keeping his fingers crossed icon:

Dude you're a good mod, not just for this but you seem like a chill guy and reasonable person whenever I see you post, kudos to you.

If you're a backer, how can you have a problem with people bragging about how good your game is? ;) Come on, the more hype generated the better.

Most places have some way to deal with self promotion and I don't begrudge anybody their hype, would just rather not see streamers fishing for an audience here in GD or outside a sticky or whatever.

I personally don't have a problem with people posting their videos or streams or whatnot, BUT I do believe we need another section to post these videos AND for future discussions about spoilers and whatnots.

That I believe will solve the problem now and for future problems.

Edit-kinda like bethsoft forums does.

Tab for general discussion (no spoilers)

Then a tab for spoilers, hints, etc.

Edited by redneckdevil

To be honest, me personally is very not ok with someone I don't know and don't care about will be playing game I helped financed before me and maybe even before release. That should not be a thing for kickstarter games. So no, don't allow them anywhere on forums to promote their streams. When final key was delivered to backer - go nuts. Before that - no.

• Like 1

There is one streamer chick on Twitch who is barely playing the game and has her own music blaring over the game's music. This frustrates the hell out of me. But such is the way of promoting a game. 

Calibrating...

Well, I understand the promotion is annoying, especially to people who have been waiting for years, and have days left until they get their hands on the game, but we don't know many anonymous users are checking out this forum, who have a lot less info on the game than we have, and who may find value in this promotion and in the videos made by some annoying youtuber. I can't stand most of them myself, but we're not their target audience anyway.

A Custom Editor for Deadfire's Data:
eFoHp9V.png

Well, I understand the promotion is annoying, especially to people who have been waiting for years, and have days left until they get their hands on the game, but we don't know many anonymous users are checking out this forum, who have a lot less info on the game than we have, and who may find value in this promotion and in the videos made by some annoying youtuber. I can't stand most of them myself, but we're not their target audience anyway.

If the anonymous user was able to make his way here, I'm sure he can "youtube search" or "Twitch channel search" Pillars of Eternity. I agree with OP 100%. We don't need them posting here. Give them a sub forum.

Edited by xsubtownerx