And i say that as someone who (while i disagree with Bester in many fronts) i realy respect his work in PoE. That's the reason i don't posting in your UI thread. Even if i don't like Karkarov's UI, and i disagree with Bester in UI design, it's not my place to bitch about it, when he provides me from free with other stuff i realy like.

For the record, what kind of UI are you after? Something like Grotesques?

• Like 1

I love your portraits! Very inspirational. The first is my favorite. I don't know if you want any suggestions but her face is so carefully rendered, other parts like her hair seem a little unfinished in comparison. 

I have also seen some people making* some things that might have been custom portraits too, so...if any of you have some stuff to show, bring it on!

(* making as in painting, possibly manips , not “google&crop”..I'm not fond of that, since people rarely give credit and often crop signatures.)

Haha, I think this thread would justifiably make anyone terrified to share their own work. But here's my first one (I'm jealous you have three done... I need to get my butt in gear!)

bg21.png

She looks so boring compared to yours though, but I'm currently in the process of turning her into a nature godlike.

• Like 4

@IndiraLightfoot

Thank you! I hope it works as intended?

And ...yes, my names does. ;) How did you know?

@Malekith

I'll have to see, if I get anything done before release. This obviously was draining and gave my motivation quite a hit.

@Cyseal

I am not sure what you are referring to. Are you looking for a painting/drawing Tutorial in Gimp...or what is going on? 

@ashtonw

Oh!

I just wanted to ask if you are doing a nature godlike... I think I saw the horned wip- version somewhere!

I remember it looked quite unique and cute with her face structure and all. :) Also pretty dark skin.

No worries, you have a solid base, I'm sure  you can spice it up quite a bit! (Also, it should not be hard to beat my Godlike in that regard, he's kinda....bleak;)..)

Considering all this mess, posting (even a Wip) with like...all ze watermarks:D You are obviously not scared at all~ XD

@critique  I know . :( her face just got...way to "soft" and all. I can imagine some fixes, but I am not sure I'll tackle them before release. (It's boring work..)

If I actually play her I might, though. Thanks~

I might as well...  - deviantArt  -  Tumblr  -   Facebook

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

Sensuki, on 23 Mar 2015 - 4:13 PM, said:Sensuki, on 23 Mar 2015 - 4:13 PM, said:Sensuki, on 23 Mar 2015 - 4:13 PM, said:Sensuki, on 23 Mar 2015 - 4:13 PM, said:

Malekith, on 23 Mar 2015 - 3:48 PM, said:Malekith, on 23 Mar 2015 - 3:48 PM, said:Malekith, on 23 Mar 2015 - 3:48 PM, said:Malekith, on 23 Mar 2015 - 3:48 PM, said:

And i say that as someone who (while i disagree with Bester in many fronts) i realy respect his work in PoE. That's the reason i don't posting in your UI thread. Even if i don't like Karkarov's UI, and i disagree with Bester in UI design, it's not my place to bitch about it, when he provides me from free with other stuff i realy like.

For the record, what kind of UI are you after? Something like Grotesques?

Yes. Grotesques was very close to ideal.

The problem i have with Karkarov's UI (apart from it not being U shaped) is that it's way too small /minimalist for my tastes. If it must be just a bottom bar, i would like it to be twice it's current size, closer to IWD2 in size. It should cover the spell/abilities buttons, having the rest of the elements more spaced out, and have more decorative elements in general.

As it stands is just similar to Obsidian's UI with better placed elements and slight improvments.

Edited by Malekith

Going to say again, this is some great work on your part. Yeah I know

I already said my two cents, but going to say it again anyway.  :yes: 

Edited by wolfrider100

" Life... is strength. That is not to be contested, it seems

logical enough. You live, you affect your world. "

Jon Irenicus ´

Wespenfresser, your art is amazing, and I hope we get the privelege of seeing more of it in the future.

As a fellow artist, the entitled whining of certain other parties on this thread disgusts me too.  Please don't let it discourage you from making or sharing more art.

• Like 1

@ashtonw

Oh!

I just wanted to ask if you are doing a nature godlike... I think I saw the horned wip- version somewhere!

I remember it looked quite unique and cute with her face structure and all. :) Also pretty dark skin.

click the 'yo what up' in her signature ;) - links to her tumblr account for her artwork - a few nice portraits there, including the WIP nature godlike - coming along nicely :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I think OP should release an unwatermarked and correctly cropped version of each of the portraits. Not because I personally feel entitled to them, but because other random jackasses will inevitably edit the released files and upload new portraits themselves (even if not on this forum). I'm no artist, but I'm confident these versions won't fit OP's vision of her work. They may even be significantly worse if someone messes up with the files.

Now because she already uploaded a lightly watermarked version, she can't protect her work by more prohibitive watermarking. That ship has sailed, and grubby little fingers are all over the images. So now, I think the best option to effectively protect her work is to provide cropped and unwatermarked images herself. This would mean that the highest quality version (ie the version people are gonna use) is hers, not some anon's.

I think this is a pretty good view of the situation, but like I said, I'm no artist. I'm barely even invested in this particular fight since I don't really dig godlikes, aumaua, or orlan.

I think OP should release an unwatermarked and correctly cropped version of each of the portraits. Not because I personally feel entitled to them, but because other random jackasses will inevitably edit the released files and upload new portraits themselves (even if not on this forum). I'm no artist, but I'm confident these versions won't fit OP's vision of her work. They may even be significantly worse if someone messes up with the files.

Now because she already uploaded a lightly watermarked version, she can't protect her work by more prohibitive watermarking. That ship has sailed, and grubby little fingers are all over the images. So now, I think the best option to effectively protect her work is to provide cropped and unwatermarked images herself. This would mean that the highest quality version (ie the version people are gonna use) is hers, not some anon's.

I think this is a pretty good view of the situation, but like I said, I'm no artist. I'm barely even invested in this particular fight since I don't really dig godlikes, aumaua, or orlan.

This is such a flawed logic. 

"smartphones should be given away by the manufacturer for free because some jackasses are going to pickpocket them and sell them on the black market anyway"

Wespenfresser wants to see her name associated with her work when people are going to google for portraits. That's entirely fine by me. Even though personally I find watermarks intrusive, and take away from the aesthetic value of the work. 

But this is a philosophical debate and IMO the OP should never have had to justify herself here.

• Like 3

This is such a flawed logic. 

"smartphones should be given away by the manufacturer for free because some jackasses are going to pickpocket them and sell them on the black market anyway"

Wespenfresser wants to see her name associated with her work when people are going to google for portraits. That's entirely fine by me. Even though personally I find watermarks intrusive, and take away from the aesthetic value of the work. 

But this is a philosophical debate and IMO the OP should never have had to justify herself here.

...you're comparing bought smartphones to be pickpocketed, with immaterial non-profit digital redistribution?

Out of all the stupid **** I've had to deal with today...

4421757390_d41371ba05_o.jpg

t50aJUd.jpg

You're right, it's even worse than stolen smartphones actually. 

It's one own's intellectual property. 

EDIT: again, if I wasn't clear before, I think it would have been a smarter self-promotion strategy to release non-watermarked images. I am almost certain that everyone would have played by the book and acknowledged the artist for the portraits just the same. Just like we refer to Bester's mod as 'Bester's'...

Edited by Quantics

Now because she already uploaded a lightly watermarked version, she can't protect her work by more prohibitive watermarking.

1. People have -complained- about using them cropped. So no matter how I am going to crop them, it would still be wrong.

-> which by your logic means ,they will mess with it anyways. No matter what I do.

2. If I can not write my name on it, because "someone will cut/overpaint it", then I can NEVER write my name on anything. (that goes for traditional work too, if it leaves my hands.)

3. People can -always- get rid of watermarks. No matter how prohibitive, and how much they mess up the piece in the progress.

This is actually a difficult subject, even for artists. If you think this is ****ty, picture how ****ty it is for us. We are -not- doing that just to mess with you!

Though considering the kind of disrespect that has been going on here, I can not really "blame" people using really "all over" watermarks anymore.

You're right, it's even worse than stolen smartphones actually. 

It's one own's intellectual property. 

EDIT: again, if I wasn't clear before, I think it would have been a smarter self-promotion strategy to release non-watermarked images. I am almost certain that everyone would have played by the book and acknowledged the artist for the portraits just the same. Just like we refer to Bester's mod as 'Bester's'...

I am usually shy and don't want to bother people. I just put my name on things. I know I should do actual promo, but I usually don't, because it makes me feel uncomfortable.

In contrast to specific mods, pictures are not "bound" to the game. I sometimes think pictures are often considered -especially- free game.

Maybe because they are easy to mess with and well, "source: google".

But, seriously? I see  people here not giving credit at all, and considering the disrespect and accusations I got here...why would I believe these are good, well meaning people that usually give credit?

The sad thing is, I would have been open for compromises, if it had helped. Like placing my name somewhere else, if it really interferes. -That's- why I explained my thoughts behind it.

I actually -before I posted here- briefly thought about releasing them properly cut as a .zip, once I have a few more of them(and the variants) and I am confident I won't make changes.

You know, all naive, trusting people here won't just post them without my name on purpose.

I am sure you can imagine how I feel about that now. (especially considering Luckmann did just that.)

I do appreciate you being more tolerant on this, btw. Even though you disagree with watermarks.

-----------

General Notice: I added links to my stuff in my sig.  (Since I am a terrible selfish person anyways, I might as well.)

In case I paint some new portraits (for myself), I will probably post them somewhere there.

->That does not mean, I won't post them here on purpose, but If I don't, chances are they show up there at some point.

Also I occasionally paint some stuff,  that does kinda fit some of the "special" races anyways. That I obviously won't post here. I mean, imagine the hate then?

As for other portraits, chances are I won't do any more for now. Unless maybe I am asked for commissions (and am allowed to do them.)

My motivation to just "do some more" like "for you" or because "hype&over-motivation"... is just at a real low due to this.

Edited by Wespenfresser
  • Like 4

I might as well...  - deviantArt  -  Tumblr  -   Facebook

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

Impressive work Ms Fresser (one assumes you're a Ms due to the female avatar, if not please excuse my ignorance,) not exactly my specific cup of tea but one cannot help but be impressed by your skill.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Hey guys!

No idea where to post this, because it doesn't really fit anywhere..

Anyways, I wanted to paint some portraits for some time now, and I finally “found” some time.

I have also seen some people making* some things that might have been custom portraits too, so...if any of you have some stuff to show, bring it on!

(* making as in painting, possibly manips , not “google&crop”..I'm not fond of that, since people rarely give credit and often crop signatures.)

So, here we go! 

Little disclaimer: They are not the same style as the default ones, and might be a little dark/contrast-y.  Also not cropped to proper size yet.

I sometimes didn't know which cues in the default portraits where intentional, and I might have ignored some on purpose. ( I'm dependent on what people are posting, I don't have the BB.)

Just fluffy messing around and twisting some things to my taste. Might still fix some wonkieness.

custm-portrait-aumaua.jpg

Aumaua

Intended as first character. Probably cipher, aiming to get a big gun.

Might still mess around with the skin pattern, but I like her.

fanart-PoE-custom-portrait-death-godlike

Death Godlike (Aumaua Bodytype)

Currently fighting with the blue one over my attention. Intended as a Bleak Walker.

I have some spare heads for him, some like the ones I saw, and then ones that make him look more like one of my OCs. :) This is one of the latter. That's also why I rarely paint them though, black-on-black-on-black is just really hard for me to make readable.

fanart-PoE-custom-portrait-orlan-female1

Wild Orlan

The most fun one, just because. I like fluffy things.

Made it a little more...you know, less hairy-person like, more.. cute?

I still have a few unfinished ones, and I meant to try and make a little better poses for the one I play first. (I didn't mean to make any interesting poses anyways, but a little different wouldn't hurt.)

Not sure If I'll find time, though. (I might have more time if I wasn*t taking hours to type this...DX DAAAR!)

Wow. These are amazing. Not in the same style as the official portraits, but amazing in a different way. Great job.

• Like 5

Wonderful works. Absolutely superb.

I also can see the reasons for the watermarks, and I respect that you've put the watermarks somewhere they can easily be cropped out. Although having read some of the responses in this thread, I actually dearly wish that they would've been far more intrusive. Some of the entitlement (some of which comes from people who I would've hoped to have been above that sort of thing) beggars belief.

• Like 2