Nobody ever tells the guy making cabinets "Hey, you should just give those away--you know, it'll get your name out and really, you need to learn to let go of your products."

Cabinets aren't digital.

Work that goes to physical and digital product is same. Replication of digital products is easier, which makes it easier to copy them effortlessly, but I would not ever say that Obsidian for example should not be able to sell their digital products to people or stick their watermark (like for example opening logo) in them, just because they are digital. Although when it comes to pricing sold copies I think there are valid reasons to except that digital copies of products don't cost same as individually made physical originals.

• Like 1

Cabinets aren't digital.

Neither was the Mona Lisa--when it was made. If they'd had scanners and photoshop back then, you bet your ass that ****er would've been copyrighted. Copyright laws are going to change again with the advent of 3d printing technology. I promise you that.

When cabinets become digital, we will revisit this argument. Until then, we will continue laughing at this.

As for 3D Printing... if anything, it (3D printing) halmarks the death of copyright as we know it, and I find it highly doubtful that it's going to be in favour of the cabinet-maker (in so far a 3D-modeler can be considered a "cabinet-maker").

I seriously doubt if copyright is just going to somehow die off. People like owning the products of their labor--whether that's a physical object or a design or whatever. Until we somehow get rid of the idea of personal property, copyright and owning your own work isn't going to magically disappear.

Nobody ever tells the guy making cabinets "Hey, you should just give those away--you know, it'll get your name out and really, you need to learn to let go of your products."

Cabinets aren't digital.

Work that goes to physical and digital product is same. Replication of digital products is easier, which makes it easier to copy them effortlessly, but I would not ever say that Obsidian for example should not be able to sell their digital products to people or stick their watermark (like for example opening logo) in them, just because they are digital. Although when it comes to pricing sold copies I think there are valid reasons to except that digital copies of products don't cost same as individually made physical originals.

Obsidian puts their "watermark" on opening logo outside the game. If they were to have that huge watermark in-game, we would have a problem.

Now if she would put her signature on the corner of the painting, no one would complain.

Think about that analogy.

• Like 1

All 3 of these are absolutely beautiful.

In regards to the watermarks, you should do whatever you feel like, and do not get into long forum discussions about your choices. Those discussions are better to have with fellow artists in person anyway.

All these pictures are clearly meant to be cropped anyway and there is intentionally left too much head-space to leave room for the watermark. (My personal preference would also be to not have the faces so centered.) So crop them! Even if they did not have the watermark you would do that anyway, too get the most out of the portrait in the game.

Cabinets aren't digital.

Work that goes to physical and digital product is same. Replication of digital products is easier, which makes it easier to copy them effortlessly, but I would not ever say that Obsidian for example should not be able to sell their digital products to people or stick their watermark (like for example opening logo) in them, just because they are digital. Although when it comes to pricing sold copies I think there are valid reasons to except that digital copies of products don't cost same as individually made physical originals.

Obsidian puts their "watermark" on opening logo outside the game. If they were to have that huge watermark in-game, we would have a problem.

Now if she would put her signature on the corner of the painting, no one would complain.

Think about that analogy.

No, Obsidian puts their water mark in game in such place where everybody will definitely see it before they see rest of their product, same way like she did (although in her case people can see rest of her product same time), they just have convenience of much bigger product that their water mark is lesser hindrance for person using their product. Signature in corner of painting would be more equivalent for Obsidian to put their logo in game's end credits (place where people viewing their product don't necessary see it and even if they see it they probably see it after seeing rest of their product).

EDIT: And yes some would still complain even if she had put her signature in corner, as for some people it seemed to be unthinkable to credit one's own work

Edited by Elerond

Thank you for posting those portraits. They look awesome and for me it is a treat just to see such good art. I don't quite understand why there is such a fuss about those watermarks because you can just use them with those marks or cut them out. I might use them and I'm perfectly fine with those two options. I would say that having those options qualifies as sharing with the community and not just trying to show off. It would have been nice to have those portraits with the right dimensions and without watermarks but that's it. The OP gave us three brilliantly done portraits to look at and to use. Normally I would assume that people would be thankfull for that but instead it turns into a discussion whether the OP's wishes are right. If she doesn't want those watermarks to be removed that's perfectly fine and at least I can respect and understand it even if I wish she would do it.

• Like 1

@ryukenden

I made two of them essentially for myself. Because I intend to play those characters. The other one is just for fun.

Posting them here was more of an afterthought. Well aside from the fact, that I tried to fix them up a little more before posting. Because that is simply what I do, when I post stuff.

I meant to make some more after that point,  which would not have been for me.

I do not agree however. I don't think "improving the image of the IP" has to be a concern at all. There is a lot of fanart , that I really doubt would improve the image of the original IP.

But that's -why- I put that stuff up there!

I usually put it in the right-bottom corner. But the way I tested it,  up there seemed to interfere less with the properly cropped portraits.

I did originally intend to additionally make a little more convenient version, but it just didn't seem any more convenient after that.

@Sensuki

I tried to explain -why- I did only post this one version. Yes, it is important for me, to have my name on the versions that are floating around online.

But , from my perspective, it has to be cropped anyways, and the last test I did essentially cut off the watermark .

Your friends just jumped from that, to accusations of me taking some sick pleasure from preventing people from using it in the game. That's just ****ed up.

If that is my mistake, then I am at fault for..what? Not cropping it properly for people?  That just makes it weirder, since the fact that cropping it -cuts of parts- ...and that was stated as the horrible issue.

That's something I would have done anyways.

So my mistake it showing you bigger, un-cropped Versions.

• Like 3

I might as well...  - deviantArt  -  Tumblr  -   Facebook

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

I think it would look better uncropped for the larger sized 210x330 version. It would only need to be cropped for the party bar version. YMMV though.

Edited by Sensuki

This is where I will randomly interject that I'm sad that Obsidian won't supply us with the PoE portraits in their original size.

*cries a little on the inside*

I don't know...I think I saw a huge version of Eder flying around. That one might have been a little too big to enjoy.

On a side note though, I actually intended to post my portraits a little bigger than this. :/

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

Edit: Nevermind, just tried it again

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

This is where I will randomly interject that I'm sad that Obsidian won't supply us with the PoE portraits in their original size.

I don't know...I think I saw a huge version of Eder flying around. That one might have been a little too big to enjoy.

On a side note though, I actually intended to post my portraits a little bigger than this. :/

There's some big-ish versions of some floating around, but nothing consistent, I think. But I asked Polina what resolution they actually worked at before the portraits were resized and if there was any chance we could get our hands on them to study them or work with them to make our own portraits, and the resolution is a crazy 4800 x 7540 pixels 200 dpi. She asked, but the answer was "very unlikely".

I'm pretty sure Photoshop would murder my computer if I opened that up and worked on it, but it'd be so worth it.

How dare they not give away all the products of their labor for free! Must be arrogant and selfish, amirite?

Your strawman is so enormous it's piercing straight through the upper exosphere and is being set ablaze by solar radiation alone, there is nothing for us to do here.

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

There's some big-ish versions of some floating around, but nothing consistent, I think. But I asked Polina what resolution they actually worked at before the portraits were resized and if there was any chance we could get our hands on them to study them or work with them to make our own portraits, and the resolution is a crazy 4800 x 7540 pixels 200 dpi. She asked, but the answer was "very unlikely".

I'm pretty sure Photoshop would murder my computer if I opened that up and worked on it, but it'd be so worth it.

How dare they not give away all the products of their labor for free! Must be arrogant and selfish, amirite?

Your strawman is so enormous it's piercing straight through the upper exosphere and is being set ablaze by solar radiation alone, there is nothing for us to do here.

That's impossible, it's night time. Even were it sticking up through the exosphere, it wouldn't be exposed to direct solar radiation for another hour or so.

That's impossible, it's night time. Even were it sticking up through the exosphere, it wouldn't be exposed to direct solar radiation for another hour or so.

... I don't know how to break it to you, but..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_zone

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliocentrism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_of_the_Earth

D:

For ~50% of the Earth, it's day-time. At the relative elevation of that strawman, unless you're at the very polar opposite of the sun, the sun can see it, and the sun hates it.

ZARUS, THE GREATER GOOD,

AMAUNATOR, THE ETERNAL,

LATHANDER, THE LIGHT,

RISE,

PELOR, THE BURNING HATE!

Edited by Luckmann

t50aJUd.jpg

HISSSSSSSSSS! *screeches and runs back into his lair*

You win this one, Luckman. Though honestly I don't know how you think that my discussing the fact of night and the Earth blocking the sun somehow means I don't know about heliocentrism. That logic remains a mystery.

Edited by Katarack21
  • Like 1

HISSSSSSSSSS! *screeches and runs back into his lair*

You win this one, Luckman.

He was just lucky.

Beat Lephys to it.

• Like 2

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

Hm, the pic I found was maybe half that big.

But seriously, a little bigger than 210x330 might be nice for that, but THAT big would be kinda unnecessary.

I can not confirm that. Hardly anything worse than laggy Photoshop. Or stuck Photoshop.DX

@Wespenfresser: What a lovely trio of portraits! Thank you for sharing them! :)

I'll most humbly and merrily go ahead and peruse your Aumauan portrait for my first-playthrough character, because it fits perfectly for the role I want her to be filling.

I've followed Karkarov's instructions on how to import portraits, so I've already tried it out in the beta.

And by the way - *Ouch!* - your name suggests an appetite for some stingy buggers! ;)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot
  • Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I was going to make some long post, but, meh. There are more interesting stuff to do.

But, from the other hand, if someone want to have all-most-legal (Obsydian still got rights to races), custom made portrait, go there: http://forum.deviantart.com/jobs/offers/

And post your order in new thread, and wait bit for some artists to be interested.

Edited by limbo

Me dno't sapek Eisnlgh. Bveleie I.

Excellent portraits OP. If you have more of them, please share!!!

@Sensuki

I get Bester's point, and truth be told it's not entirely unreasonable. But the way he excpresed it was needlessly antagonistic and rude. If he had asked if the OP would be interested providing images in the correct size without the watermark in order to be used as part of the IE (or another) mod, i doubt OP would have had a problem.

She could have even provide the altered versions only to Bester to use in the mod if she had a problem uploading the images without the watermark on the Internet as a whole.

Bester could have mentioned her in the mods credits and problem solved. More people would had seen her work and both sides would be happy.

She could even had helped with drawing buttons, UI elements, whatever Bester needs.

The way he asked it was... too rude.

And i say that as someone who (while i disagree with Bester in many fronts) i realy respect his work in PoE. That's the reason i don't posting in your UI thread. Even if i don't like Karkarov's UI, and i disagree with Bester in UI design, it's not my place to bitch about it, when he provides me from free with other stuff i realy like.

• Like 2