Yeah, that's what I mean. The watermark seems a bit pointless because people will just cut the portrait down.

I think he put them there for some kinda proof he's the artist or something.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

I use blue text when I'm being sarcastic.

This guys artwork has made the custom portraits thread I started obsolete.

"Good thing I don't heal my characters or they'd be really hurt." Is not something I should ever be thinking.

However, saying that "it defeats of purpose of posting them in a community setting" is somewhat over the top, in my opinion.

I mean, it might not be ideal, but seriously ..at worst that makes them non-portrait-ready fanart.

That way it just sounds like it would make any signatures or watermarks disqualifying in a community setting....

As a creative myself, I have to tell you that there is value in your work beyond self promotion. I tend to follow the Mandala Creed, wherein one's creative works should not be hoarded but instead set free to allow as many people as possible to enjoy the work. The moment you become paranoid  about 'keeping' the work you have already created is the moment you start losing the ability to create more. This isn't anti sales either, as the moment you sell a work of art you must also let it go. 

You shouldn't expect the people here to look and not touch. I could erase your watermark in seconds without damaging the original background and post it here cropped and ready to be used in game within about 10 minutes. I won't because you haven't given permission, but I find that extremely silly. 

I'd rather you do it yourself. I implore you to feel confident enough in your artistic ability to distribute your work freely, everyone here will love you for it. 

• Like 4

I'm not in the industry, but it sure seems like to me you definitely have the ability. I'd encourage you to reach out to some of the people at these companies, they always need art assets.  And the more you post the more likely you'll catch the eye of someone important.  Best of luck!  

I looked up your website and it looks like it's down at the moment.  If you have a Tumblr or other blog I'd love to check out your other work though.

Thank you! I really appreciate the encouragement :) 

Yeah, it's pretty down. I have a tumblr, but I'm not that active. Most of my stuff is on deviantart.

I probably should post some more interesting stuff, though.

Wow that is some crazy good talent you got there. Well done!

EDIT: Do you accept commissions (with payment) for a customized portrait? :D

Thank you<3

Depends on the payment. ;) In general yes, of course.

Though, if it would feature something PoE specific, I might have to ask if that's actually okay. (I don't usually do fanart, because reasons.)

I like your portraits, but do you expect people to play with a huge logo of your company on their portrait? Are you going to remove the logo for people to be able to use the portraits?

I don't feel like a company....

But no, I would expect them to crop them, as they would have to anyways, if I am not going to supply 2 different smaller versions. ;)

yeah - I use a 3D program then postwork with some filters and touch-ups.

Wish I could paint properly but I get by.

I encourage you to post more of your work - they're ace (and we do need some more portraits for aumaua/orlan/godlike types :) )

What kind of program?

I tried some 3D before, but I didn't get too far ..to much time in between. (made some interesting tests, but never anything finished i think.)

Well you could learn it...;)

Those are the ones I care most about anyways.:p

Specifically, I'm going to play an Orlan Cipher from Old Vaila who is fleeing his slave past and has gone a little crazy and a little native in the Dyrwood; courteous, polite, passionate, and viciously/brutally pragmatic. I'm planning on refusing to discuss my slave past at the beginning, being pretty open about other stuff, and hopefully having the option to slowly reveal my slave past over the course of the game as I deal with the problems and issues facing me.

A dream portrait would require an Orlan who is, at the least, scarred and a little wild-eyed. :)

I can't quite visualize the personality right now, but that might be a good thing. ;)

Have you posted something about the start of the game making that non-discussing problematic? Or was that another slave-person(errr)? I have no idea were I red that, just reminded me of it.

Don't get your hopes up.;( I just had to google "wild-eyed" and now I might never sleep.... (Well, it's 6:30am anyways..) Guy or girl though?

Yeah, that's what I mean. The watermark seems a bit pointless because people will just cut the portrait down.

It's a compromise.

I mean, I obviously don't want them to have it in-game...  I just never post stuff without my name on it.

The only difference is, that I put this "up there" instead of buttom-right corner.  Neither is crop-resistant, this just seemed more practical for this purpose.

I'll cut the portrait down to below the water mark.

Go! You can do it. Just don't post it around, please.;)

(Should it not work properly, please tell me tough.)

She. But yeah, kinda. I just always do this. It doesn't usually cause such a fuss.

The logo is relatively new, I used to just write my name and the date on it. (I have a terrible handwriting.)

So you will not remove the watermark, correct?

You're only posting these to self-promote, but you emphatically do not want people to use these portraits in game, correct?

Uhm...no. On all of these. O_o

• Like 4

I might as well...  - deviantArt  -  Tumblr  -   Facebook

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

Uhm...no. On all of these. O_o

But no, I would expect them to crop them, as they would have to anyways

Alright, but why do you assume I would crop the top off, as you say, "anyways"? The orlan's ears would be partially cut off. If I was to use your portraits, I'd like to use them as you drew them with these image proportions, instead of cropping stuff out.

This isn't anti sales either, as the moment you sell a work of art you must also let it go.

This isn't about sales, because posting these pictures doesn't imply that they're under CC0. And anyone interested can always use google images to find the author. There is no rational explanation here, simple as that.

You shouldn't expect the people here to look and not touch. I could erase your watermark in seconds without damaging the original background and post it here cropped and ready to be used in game within about 10 minutes. I won't because you haven't given permission

You have the right to do that under fair use. Please do, people would only benefit from it. Plus, the author isn't against it in the first place.

• Like 2
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

She. But yeah, kinda. 

Oops my bad.:)

These are really amazing! You should do commissions, I think a lot of people here would take you up on it.

As for people complaining about the watermark... it's super common, especially with places like Tumblr or imgur, for an artist's work to get spread around uncredited. Most people just do not take the time to source art properly. It's not at all unreasonable for an artist to watermark her work, on the off chance that at some point the artwork is separated from the source. It's also not unusual for people to try to pass artwork off as their own, or to try to make a profit off of artwork that is not theirs. You can't just assume that art is a free resource to use however you'd like. Artists retain copyright over their work from the moment it's created and published. Sure you could go ahead and do whatever you want to it. But you're essentially stealing. If you're interested in using an artist's work for some other purpose, and the artist hasn't stated whether or not that's okay, it's customary to ask first. Why would you try to shame an artist for taking some precautions? Or for wanting to just share her work without literally opening it up to others to use however they'd like? I don't really understand that.

• Like 4

Specifically, I'm going to play an Orlan Cipher from Old Vaila who is fleeing his slave past and has gone a little crazy and a little native in the Dyrwood; courteous, polite, passionate, and viciously/brutally pragmatic. I'm planning on refusing to discuss my slave past at the beginning, being pretty open about other stuff, and hopefully having the option to slowly reveal my slave past over the course of the game as I deal with the problems and issues facing me.

A dream portrait would require an Orlan who is, at the least, scarred and a little wild-eyed. :)

I can't quite visualize the personality right now, but that might be a good thing. ;)

Have you posted something about the start of the game making that non-discussing problematic? Or was that another slave-person(errr)? I have no idea were I red that, just reminded me of it.

Don't get your hopes up. ;( I just had to google "wild-eyed" and now I might never sleep.... (Well, it's 6:30am anyways..) Guy or girl though?

Yeah, I'm not sure how it'll actually work out.

I know there's the dialogue option at the beginning to set your biography, and part of that involves another character asking about your background choices. I know you can skip parts of the conversation, but I don't know if you skip it there if it never comes up again, comes up only rarely, or what.

As for gender, I envision a male character but whom--do to the fur and the scars--is not necessarily easy to tell.

Edited by Katarack21

This is a mess.

These are awesome.

These are really nice, great job! We're still lacking portraits for races exclusive to our game, so any additions are very welcome. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, both of you! :)

That's a real shame, I really like them. Especially Aumaua and Death Godlikes. I essentially like all of them though. :)

I am really glad you include races like that!

This guys artwork has made the custom portraits thread I started obsolete.

I don't know. Yours seems to be more about posting stuff, this is apparently just about my stuff and philosophical discussions on watermarks/signatures...  Unintentionally.

It would be nicer if there would be links back to the artists though.(In your thread)

As a creative myself, I have to tell you that there is value in your work beyond self promotion. I tend to follow the Mandala Creed, wherein one's creative works should not be hoarded but instead set free to allow as many people as possible to enjoy the work. The moment you become paranoid  about 'keeping' the work you have already created is the moment you start losing the ability to create more. This isn't anti sales either, as the moment you sell a work of art you must also let it go. 

You shouldn't expect the people here to look and not touch. I could erase your watermark in seconds without damaging the original background and post it here cropped and ready to be used in game within about 10 minutes. I won't because you haven't given permission, but I find that extremely silly. 

I'd rather you do it yourself. I implore you to feel confident enough in your artistic ability to distribute your work freely, everyone here will love you for it. 

I think if you are against "hoarding" it might be more problematic, that I don't post much of what I do...but that's for other reasons.

But aside from that, that's some kind of weird philosophy-thing. "start losing the ability to create more"  because of... writing my name on it?

Realistically, what takes away from my ability to create more(very literally), is this discussion. :/

I am not confident in people giving credit. Also I am not confident in people knowing how to reverse-image-search.

I don't like not being easily able to find the scource of pictures I like.

I am a horrible person, for causing some inconvenience, in the use of something, I -didn't even have to freaking give you-. I made those essentially for myself, I posted them here too, because I though they might be of interest to you guys.

These are amazing! And that orlan is the most adorable thing I have ever seen.

Thank you.<3

Alright, but why do you assume I would crop the top off, as you say, "anyways"? The orlan's ears would be partially cut off. If I was to use your portraits, I'd like to use them as you drew them with these image proportions, instead of cropping stuff out.

You shouldn't expect the people here to look and not touch. I could erase your watermark in seconds without damaging the original background and post it here cropped and ready to be used in game within about 10 minutes. I won't because you haven't given permission

You have the right to do that under fair use. Please do, people would only benefit from it. Plus, the author isn't against it in the first place.

That's your problem. Considering they -for all I know- don't have the proportions the game uses, that might be kinda difficult.

I don't know in what lawless country you reside, but where I live cutting artists signatures off is probably not part of the exceptions to copyright. At least not, if you intend to post it online like that. And that -is- what I am opposed to.

• Like 6

(warning: don't click, if you can't take evil, vile artists putting their name on their work.)

yeah - I use a 3D program then postwork with some filters and touch-ups.

Wish I could paint properly but I get by.

I encourage you to post more of your work - they're ace (and we do need some more portraits for aumaua/orlan/godlike types :) )

What kind of program?

I tried some 3D before, but I didn't get too far ..to much time in between. (made some interesting tests, but never anything finished i think.)

Well you could learn it... ;)

Those are the ones I care most about anyways. :p

I started out with Daz Studio (like Poser) - just using pre-made models and figures and putting together scenes+lighting etc.  It's kinda like photography with more control over the weather :lol:  Also used Bryce for outdoor scenery-type things.

More recently I've been learning Blender - early days but step by step.

I could learn drawing - if I had enough time ;)  (and a tablet - need to get one of those intuos ones that act like a 2nd monitor ... money vs. awesome :lol: ).  I actually need a scanner to get my pen/pencil sketches onto the PC for editing.

And 'Yay'

Considering they -for all I know- don't have the proportions the game uses, that might be kinda difficult.

They don't - but I just did an experiement with the aumaua one and they can be cropped and shrunk to the right size without losing much of the image

(in-game needs 210x330 for large - these are 400x579).

Thanks again for sharing :)

(and don't worry about those saying you should remove the watermark - if someone really wants to use one of these in-game, it can be easily modified in gimp/ps/mspaint to fit - no drawing skills required - rather than reposting, they should be directing interested parties to the artist's site anyway, so as to encourage more awesome ;) )

Edited by Silent Winter
  • Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

I don't know in what lawless country you reside, but where I live cutting artists signatures off is probably not part of the exceptions to copyright. At least not, if you intend to post it online like that. And that -is- what I am opposed to.

So you are opposed to people cropping off your signature and posting it on this forum for people to use in their game. You posted these only for self-promotion and to get congratulated, not for people to actually use them. Gotcha.

Also to say "look what I've got... but you can't use it, cause I put a giant watermark all over it and I disallow anyone from cropping it and posting here". Uhh ok? Have fun with it, I suppose?

Edited by Bester
IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

These are really amazing! You should do commissions, I think a lot of people here would take you up on it.

As for people complaining about the watermark... it's super common, especially with places like Tumblr or imgur, for an artist's work to get spread around uncredited. Most people just do not take the time to source art properly. It's not at all unreasonable for an artist to watermark her work, on the off chance that at some point the artwork is separated from the source. It's also not unusual for people to try to pass artwork off as their own, or to try to make a profit off of artwork that is not theirs. You can't just assume that art is a free resource to use however you'd like. Artists retain copyright over their work from the moment it's created and published. Sure you could go ahead and do whatever you want to it. But you're essentially stealing. If you're interested in using an artist's work for some other purpose, and the artist hasn't stated whether or not that's okay, it's customary to ask first. Why would you try to shame an artist for taking some precautions? Or for wanting to just share her work without literally opening it up to others to use however they'd like? I don't really understand that.

Nah, people ask very, very rarely. And if they do, most -as usual- expect it to come really, really cheap.

Or ...wait...you mean like here?

Thanks for the text. I mean, really.

I tend to only be active in very few places, and not anywhere non-art related, so this kind of reaction is completely foreign to me.

Kinda makes me regret posting them here at all. :(

@3D-stuff

I get the picture.:D Blender ftw.

Strangely enough I kinda like poly-by-poly modeling in blender better than sculpting(in zbrush, sculptris or blender itself).

Sculpting just turns everything I do into ...boneless-mudpeople.

The things with the screens are cintiqs, it's not like that's necessary though.  Also there is traditional art too. (Or so I heard:P)

@portraits

You must have awesome cropping skillz!

No seriously, aside from the watermark ..I did not indent for them to be used "as is".

I myself intended to crop them quite a bit. I just painted more, in case I had to slightly move them for better composition. (So I would not have to fix the holes then.)

So you are opposed to people cropping off your signature and posting it on this forum for people to use in their game. You posted these only for self-promotion and to get congratulated, not for people to actually use them. Gotcha, thanks a lot, see you.

You disgust me.

But I assume, that might be what you intend.

Seriously, if there had been like -actual- problems which cropping them properly and I had just been asked nicely, I probably would have even offered assistance.

But, considering that I am apparently expected to not crop them at all, I guess even if I had supplied perfectly game-ready versions, that would still be wrong.

• Like 3

So you are opposed to people cropping off your signature and posting it on this forum for people to use in their game. You posted these only for self-promotion and to get congratulated, not for people to actually use them. Gotcha.

Also to say "look what I've got... but you can't use it, cause I put a giant watermark all over it and I disallow anyone from cropping it and posting here". Uhh ok? Have fun with it, I suppose?

Congratulations, you've unlocked the definition of "art gallery".

Generally when people share art, it's because they believe other people will enjoy seeing it. It's a bit twisted to demand that art must serve your needs in some fashion.

• Like 4

To the OP; Really nice work on the portraits.  One note about the Godlike portrait; the artwork is great, but the expression is a bit tough to decipher.  I can't tell if the character is in pain or laughing or singng an old Aumauan folk ballad or choking on a bone,  Without eyes as visual cues, expressions get a bit tricky.

With regards to the whole Watermark issue; I wouldn't get dragged into some of the idiotic observations and provocations that are inevitably going to follow in a thread like this.  No professional creative person in their right mind would fault you for protecting your work.  

Edited by curryinahurry