Greatsword vs Estoc

Given what I've seen, aren't the greatswords basically always inferior to the estoc? They do the same damage, same speed. They do have different damage types, which might matter some, but crucially, the estoc ignores some DR. Greatswords seem to be unique amongst all weapons in that they completely lack any type of defining feature, not even using the best of two damage types. 

Is this really correct, or is the wiki information wrong again?

Ok. Well, at least the weapon has an ability now, even if it is a boring one. 

Greatsword is my weapon of choice. I actually really like two damage types (pierce/slash), especially for two-handers. I'll generally put a crushing weapon in my second slot, sometimes with a shield. Greatsword for most encounters, but when I need defense or crush damage, switch to my secondary slot. Works pretty well.

• Like 5

Greatsword is my weapon of choice. I actually really like two damage types (pierce/slash), especially for two-handers. I'll generally put a crushing weapon in my second slot, sometimes with a shield. Greatsword for most encounters, but when I need defense or crush damage, switch to my secondary slot. Works pretty well.

That's basically what I was thinking. Not specifically with greatswords, but the "best of damage type" weapons in one slot with an alternate crushing weapon in the second slot seems the way to go for melee. For distance fighters, of course, I'd want ranged in one slot and melee in another.

This sounds great. In the old games, one puts so many points into a specific weapon that you never get to use anything else.

So I guess most monsters have a weakness against one of the damage types?

Or, alternatively, a resistance to some damage types and normal vulnerability to others.

Estoc has that cool half-swording animation going for it ;)

I'll go with a Greatsword myself though, seems more flexible.