HURRAY.. you have collected all the plants... HURRAY  rejoice feel good about yourself.. HURRAY... look at the amazing popup on your bottom left screen .HURRAY... HURRAY

• Like 4

Who cares? Achievements... What a load of crap.

• Like 4

"You're a fool if you believe I would trust your benevolence. Step aside and you and your lackeys will be unhurt."

Baldur's Gate portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale portraits for Pillars of Eternity   IXI   Icewind Dale 2 portraits for Pillars of Eternity

[slap Aloth]

wow nice! Do you know if there will be a steam cards for PoE?

I'm actually more interested in that than I am of achievements. I would LOVE to have a nice lil kickass background for my profile of POE. I might even retire my bindings of Isaac one if they have a good one.

Who cares? Achievements... What a load of crap.

Seems like you care enough to make one of those typical posts that people like you have to make when asking if achievements are in a game. There's always someone who has to comment about how lame achievements are. Guess what, they are optional. Don't like them? Ignore them. If you were a game developer, I would bet all my $ you would put achievements into your game. 

There are A LOT of different types of "picky" gamers in this world. And a chunk of them will not buy a game if it doesn't have achievements. It's the world we live in today. Deal with it.

Edited by TrueMenace
  • Like 2

Calibrating...

Love achievements, especially if the game offers modes like Ironman or Hard difficulties. It's not a lot but at least a bit of satisfaction of "you did it!".

With steam trading cards - there is absolutely no reason to not implement it and getting some additional money from doing so.

Our resident programmer Roby pushed to get all the steam related assets done before release. We support the following:

• Achievements
  • Badges
  • Cards
  • Emoticons (be sure to collect both "eyes")
  • Profile Backgrounds
  • Like 15

Our resident programmer Roby pushed to get all the steam related assets done before release. We support the following:

• Achievements
  • Badges
  • Cards
  • Profile Backgrounds

Ty Kaz for answer it great news.

PS. I'm asking because you can not like achievements and stuff like that but there are players out there that will not buy the game if they not there, that how gaming change and if some of you look closely i'm the Silver Badge and already be having 2 copy's of PoE;) and it will make more copy of game sold which mean PoE 2;)

• Achievements
  • Badges
  • Cards
  • Profile Backgrounds

Yeah! That is great information! :D

I can say that achievements negatively impacted my playthrough of Wasteland 2. Why?  Because I  played to collect them. I let the achievements dictate the path of my playthrough and the choices I made in the game. Why? Because playing the game straight meant that I'd have to play through again if I was going to gather the rest.

For some games, achievements makes sense. They're mini-missions to give flavour to an action game and they work. But they work.  In RPGs, I should be doing something because it makes sense for my character, not because it will unlock a little picture on my account. That's why, I'm not going to look at the achievements until after my first playthrough.

• Like 1

These days never disappeared from my point of view. I have a great remedy for achievements, I disable steam achievement-related notifications and completely ignore them. Works like a charm.

Edited by CaptainMace
  • Like 2

Qu'avez-vous fait de l'honneur de la patrie ?

I can say that achievements negatively impacted my playthrough of Wasteland 2. Why?  Because I  played to collect them. I let the achievements dictate the path of my playthrough and the choices I made in the game. Why? Because playing the game straight meant that I'd have to play through again if I was going to gather the rest.

For some games, achievements makes sense. They're mini-missions to give flavour to an action game and they work. But they work.  In RPGs, I should be doing something because it makes sense for my character, not because it will unlock a little picture on my account.

Then do that. Achievements don't force you to do anything. That's all your choices, not the big bad achievement's bullying you into messing up your playing.

• Like 3

For some games, achievements makes sense. They're mini-missions to give flavour to an action game and they work. But they work.  In RPGs, I should be doing something because it makes sense for my character, not because it will unlock a little picture on my account.

Then do that. Achievements don't force you to do anything. That's all your choices, not the big bad achievement's bullying you into messing up your playing.

The concept is of an achievement is a meta-game layer on top of actual gameplay. It's not as simple as you suggest, because games are actually rather great for preying on human weakness. It's the reason why slot machines are so successful: because they subvert the human subconciousness to illicit certain behaviours. In both cases, they exist to coax the player to keep playing to get the dopamine shot from having obtained a reward.

You and I and mostly everyone else on the planet are actually chemically conditioned to pursue achievements.

Edited by Verenti

Unless I'm mistaken, the GOG version won't have achievements right?

So why not opt for that version? Out of sight, out of mind.

Edited by Leferd

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

The concept is of an achievement is a meta-game layer on top of actual gameplay. It's not as simple as you suggest, because games are actually rather great for preying on human weakness. It's the reason why slot machines are so successful: because they subvert the human subconciousness to illicit certain behaviours. In both cases, they exist to coax the player to keep playing to get the dopamine shot from having obtained a reward.

You and I and mostly everyone else on the planet are actually chemically conditioned to pursue achievements.

Slot machines are designed by teams of scientists to trigger specific parts of your brain that generate addictive behavior. The same trigger mechanisms are used in games like Candy Crush. Achievements are not that. Not only are achievement notifications toggable as a whole, but there is nothing in them designed to subvert or force your subconscious into specific actions. It's literally just lists of things you've done or can do and notifying when you have; whether you choose to do those things or not is entirely up to you. The two things are not directly comparable; it's like saying tobacco is addictive, so cabbage should be regulated.

Slot machines are designed by teams of scientists to trigger specific parts of your brain that generate addictive behavior. The same trigger mechanisms are used in games like Candy Crush. Achievements are not that. Not only are achievement notifications toggable as a whole, but there is nothing in them designed to subvert or force your subconscious into specific actions. It's literally just lists of things you've done or can do and notifying when you have; whether you choose to do those things or not is entirely up to you. The two things are not directly comparable; it's like saying tobacco is addictive, so cabbage should be regulated.

How to say this? You are wrong.

It takes absolute no academic rigour to find a half-dozen articles talking about the science of achievements. They are not something that appeared by accident, they are a tool. They are designed to appeal to the player design with psychology in mind. Repeating this in the negative doesn't make it untrue, because it's well documented. Otherwise, why would people hunt achievements at all? Most give no gameplay benefit and they don't hold any social significance. So why pursue something that is effectively a waste of time? Because your brain releases a chemical that makes you feel pleasure when you overcome a challenge.