Deciding on a starting character.

Spending some time over the next few days working out a build to play as my first character or at least narrowing down the field to a couple options  :grin:

I am leaning strongly towards going with one of the three classes that are not covered by companions so I will most likely be choosing between rogue, monk, and barbarian altho I like the ranger option as well and have not taken that off the table yet and then there is the fact that you can only have 5 of the 8 companions at one time so you could easily use that to open the door to a couple more class options as well so I suppose in the end there isn't really any class that I would not leave on the table except fighter since Eder is supposed to be entangled in the plot more so than most.

Since there is no rogue in the game I am also considering building my character to handle locks & traps in case Obsidian has not geared a companion for those skills. (I do understand that it's not too likely they would leave that out entirely but still...)

I am also MOST interested in a character that can gain the most from RP, dialoge options, scripted events etc and I have not been able to determine based on the BB exactly what attributtes and or skills will enhance those areas the most other than the semi obvious Lore & Intellect and possibly resolve and perception.

I have never been fond of monks so that's probably at the bottom of my list altho I have built a couple for the BB and they did show some promise.

I have played a tanky Orlan Barbarian in the BB that I like pretty well and a couple ranger builds that could work and a Moondoggie Cipher could be interesting as well as a dwarf rogue. I just tried a chanter which does have boosts to both Lore and mechanics but I was not all that impressed with him.

So off to the drawing board I go - all suggestions welcome - extra credit for verbosity as usual!  :p

• Like 1

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

I dunno, I've been thinking of either a rogue, druid or chanter. I found the chanter interesting, on paper at least, but playing one seems to be pretty boring for me. Not a judgement on power though, just the play style leaves something to be desired. Druids, which are my fave are just about to be beaten by the Sawyer nerf hammer, which is mightier by far than Mjolnir. Also, truth be told, both are companion classes which just leaves rogues. There are no rogue companions so it would definitely feel unique from that sense, also while it's easier enough to replace the traditional rogue skills, it's not so easy to replace the damage output of one. So I will probably take rogue for my first play through, and Druid for the second...

PS was also thinking of Cipher at one point, not because I like them but more for the storyline, but as Avellone is writing the cipher companion I'm going to have to take her along with me.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Hey, where can I find out who or what the companions will be? Are there really no Monk Companions? I think that's what I'm gonna play, and if they tweak ranger class in the first patch I may try them as well. I kind of wish I could have 2 pets at any one time to call upon the fight that came running from the wilderness and maybe they only stay for an encounter or a more powerful pet summon a few times per rest.

Hey, where can I find out who or what the companions will be? Are there really no Monk Companions? I think that's what I'm gonna play, and if they tweak ranger class in the first patch I may try them as well. I kind of wish I could have 2 pets at any one time to call upon the fight that came running from the wilderness and maybe they only stay for an encounter or a more powerful pet summon a few times per rest.

No monk, rogue, or barbarian companions.

Full list of companions is on the Wiki...

• Like 1

I'm thinking to boost resolve, intellect, perception, and lore for RP options so an Orlan rogue is looking decent to me altho I still like the orlan barbarian too.

• Like 1

Yup, at the moment an orlan rogue is also on my radar, slave background, female, unless there is a decent male portrait in the game, dual wield, with max dex, but other than that not a power build, 10 and 12's in the other stats. Will use both ranged and close quarter weapons.

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light

Question, based upon the wiki there's someone here in this image that I don't recognize next to Aloth, would that be the human male priest? 

minor

nevermind LOL I didn't look down enough! i guess it is!

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade

I'm thinking to boost resolve, intellect, perception, and lore for RP options so an Orlan rogue is looking decent to me altho I still like the orlan barbarian too.

Those are also decent stats for a Chanter tank, who you can then bump up lore, stealth, and mechanics with. My first character will probably be a chanter with those stats, with minor adjustments for Con, Int, Per, and Res, Int and Res being the highest and Per/Con trailing. While Rheingold pointed out that they are a mostly passive build, the joy will be in the out-of-combat experiences such as exploring the world and getting to know the people around it. Don't let that fool you of course, as summoning a drake into the field is awesome, and that's where your damage will come from.

Those are also decent stats for a Chanter tank, who you can then bump up lore, stealth, and mechanics with. My first character will probably be a chanter with those stats, with minor adjustments for Con, Int, Per, and Res, Int and Res being the highest and Per/Con trailing. While Rheingold pointed out that they are a mostly passive build, the joy will be in the out-of-combat experiences such as exploring the world and getting to know the people around it. Don't let that fool you of course, as summoning a drake into the field is awesome, and that's where your damage will come from.

I fooled a bit with a chanter this week and it was somewhat underwhelming and I was thinking that perhaps it was the nerf bat that was at the bottom of it but it does seem to lend itself well to the RP concept I am looking for so perhaps it's worth another look.

For the record, here's the list of companions from the wiki:

http://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Companion

For what it's worth, I really want Chris Avellone's character in my party on the first playthrough so it's unlikely I'll play a cipher.

Will probably roll monk or druid.

Interesting that there's no rogue (BG2 syndrome, woo!), I'm fairly sure Eder was originally a rogue. 

You read my post.

You have been eaten by a grue.

It would have been nice if there was a companion for each class, but oh, well. Maybe they'll make one or two for the expansion.

Btw, Haven't decided yet what I'm gonna play, goddammit! After two years follwoing closely I haven't yet deciaded! All classes and races look very tempting...

I'm between a wild orlan druid, a cipher and a non-companion class; maybe barbarian.

For those with chanter issues... try White Worms Writhed in the Bellies of the Dead. While it is dependent on where the corpses lie, it is a very potent DPS invocation. While not as great as Thrice She Was Wronged was, it still has a massive range, and deals significant damage in a radius around each corpse. If you've got five corpses around one target, that one target will be hit five times. It also doesn't feel as OP as Thrice She Was Wronged did, as it's not going to be the best invocation to use in every situation, but when the situation is just right, it is devastating.

I have been stuck between a Chanter or a Ranger, both sword and shield users, both focusing on the same trio of skills: survival, lore, athletics. 

I really enjoy the style and complexity of the ranger, and am well satisfied with it's damage output + defensive capabilities. I also love the idea of roaming the world with a loyal pet wolf that rips faces. The ranger works well at melee or at range, the accuracy bonus from Stalker's Link is equally valuable, so even if I take sword and shield, it's still tactically viable to carry a bow to switch to. Very fun to play, and still valuable to the party even if the wolf goes down early.

On the other hand, I love the idea of a wandering skald, boisterous and loud, quick to act upon anything that sets him as a hero. I also really enjoy the chanter's role in the party, and the fact that they are still capable tanks with comparable health regen for the whole group as the fighter can provide for himself; a chanter in the thick of it provides significant healing for everyone who's getting hurt. A ranged chanter would get less value from Ancient Memory, since he would be stuck in the rear with everyone else who's not getting hurt.

I still haven't decided. I will most likely be going with a ranger, though. Stalker's Link is what turns the ranger tank into a meh off-tank into a great off-tank, but it also means that I will actually have to care about my ranger's damage output. Weapons, stats, gear, etc. All of that will actually matter to a ranger, where as the chanter will just want to stack deflection and constitution, because their primary role will be summoning and surviving. It doesn't sound as fun to me.

It would have been nice if there was a companion for each class, but oh, well. Maybe they'll make one or two for the expansion.

Btw, Haven't decided yet what I'm gonna play, goddammit! After two years follwoing closely I haven't yet deciaded! All classes and races look very tempting...

I'm between a wild orlan druid, a cipher and a non-companion class; maybe barbarian.

Personally, I'd like to see more and more diverse CNPC:s, rather than necessarily a checklist of classes. The number of CNPC:s in the game is woefully abysmal. Hopefully new, well-integrated CNPC:s will be a priority for expansions and if there's enough of them, they should pretty much cover all the classes by sheer volume.

t50aJUd.jpg

Personally, I'd like to see more and more diverse CNPC:s, rather than necessarily a checklist of classes. The number of CNPC:s in the game is woefully abysmal. Hopefully new, well-integrated CNPC:s will be a priority for expansions and if there's enough of them, they should pretty much cover all the classes by sheer volume.

Well, yes, that I would like too. But you can combine great NPC and character classes. I don't believe the game's gonna lack interesting plot and quest related npcs. I just wanted to have a companion of each class so I could check all of them in a single playthrough. I do not complain, though. Just a wish I made when the game was in kickstarter :)

• Like 1

Hm... It partly depends on what companions are available (I'd prefet not to make mercenaries).

Is it confirmed we get no rogue companion?

yes, we have no rogues today.

We have no rogues but Eder went from a fighter to a rogue and back to fighter during the development cycle and he is also supposed to be relevant to the plot line so I am hoping he retained enough of his roguish ways to suffice as a lock/trap man... (or that one of the other CNPCs has rogue tendencies)

That said I am pretty much planning to have my character prepared to take on the rogue abilities whether he is a rogue or not.

Hm... It partly depends on what companions are available (I'd prefet not to make mercenaries).

We have no rogues but Eder went from a fighter to a rogue and back to fighter during the development cycle and he is also supposed to be relevant to the plot line so I am hoping he retained enough of his roguish ways to suffice as a lock/trap man... (or that one of the other CNPCs has rogue tendencies)

No idea what you mean.  If you want any of the characters to deal with locks, traps or sneak, you just assign them points in mechanics and stealth.   No connection to class at all.

• Like 1

That said I am pretty much planning to have my character prepared to take on the rogue abilities whether he is a rogue or not.

I would be a bit surprised, though. Edér is a farmer, and I guess that there's nothing expressly that he can't be good with mechanics, too, but I would be a bit surprised.

On the other hand, I'm not sure who else it would fit, to be good at Mechanics. Kana Rua, maybe, Aloth? Maybe arguably. Can't really imagine any of the others being mechanically inclined, so it might've defaulted to Edér.

t50aJUd.jpg